Author's Chapter Notes:
This was my first fanfic. Hope you like it. Yes, this is the plot from "Can't buy Me Love", only a little different.
DISCLAIMER: Since fanfic is perfectly legal, I'll just mention that I don't own these characters - even when I've stripped out the slayer/ vampire/supernatural stuff.

*******************************************************************

"I can't believe your mom let you drive." Cordelia studied herself in the mirror.

"Who said she let me?" Buffy chuckled and pulled into a spot about three blocks from the party. "This is close enough. It should be safe here."

Cordelia rolled her eyes and opened the car door. She straightened her short, blue dress and flung back her long hair. Buffy walked up to stand next to her. Her green dress wasn't as short as Cordelia's but it still showed off her curves. They started up the street to the house.

A tall, good looking man opened the door when they got there. "Ladies, you are looking lovely this evening."

"Thank you. You are such a gentleman." Cordelia smirked at Cameron. Buffy snorted. Cameron stopped being a gentleman the minute he finished his second beer or when the other football players were around.

Cordelia noticed Harmony in the crowd. "Oh my god, where did you get that dress? I love it!" Harmony smiled while Cordelia made her way over.

Buffy excused herself from Cameron and walked over to a another group of people who were talking near the keg. She knew that Cameron wanted to date her, but she wasn't ready to date again. When Angel graduated in June, he told her that he was moving on to college and that he didn't think a long distance relationship would work. He was spending the summer in Los Angeles with his father, so they wouldn't see each other over the summer, either.

Buffy told Cordelia earlier that evening that she was going to enjoy herself at the party. She was done moping around. There were only two weeks left before her senior year started. He

* * *

"Evil Dead I, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness." Xander proudly held up the tapes.

"My mother is actually out of town this weekend, and we are going to spend it watching cheesy movies." William turned let Xander and Willow into his house.

"Hey - these movies are classics!"

"William is just upset, because there's some huge party this weekend and we're the only people in school not invited." Willow turned to William and smiled. "We wouldn't have any fun at those things anyway. This is much better."

"I know I enjoy being insulted by Cordelia." Xander rolled his eyes.

William nodded and sat down. He knew that they were right. Even if they were invited to one of those parties, they would either be ignored or picked on. They weren't the most popular kids in school. Actually, they weren't popular at all.

When William first came to Sunnydale, he was very withdrawn. Willow, shy herself, was instantly drawn to him. William warmed up to the redhead and Xander. Two years later, William had overcome some of his shyness. He still withdraws - especially when he's being picked on at school. Willow knows that he has a desire for more in life. One of the reasons he desperately wants to be popular is that he thinks they live their lives fuller.

"How much money do you have saved up?" Willow turned to face William.

"Almost two thousand. I'm taking a part time job this year at Rendans and should have three thousand by next summer."

"Will that be enough to go to England?" Xander asked.

William was happy to talk about his graduation trip. "It is if I stay with family most of the time. I really just need airfare and some extra money."

* * *

Buffy didn't drink that night. She wasn't going to risk getting into an accident with the car. She still had a good time, though, dancing, laughing, and talking.

"Did you hear about Angel?" Cordelia asked her while Buffy was driving her home.

"What about him?" Buffy bit her lip. If something happened to Angel, wouldn't she be the first one to know?

"He was driving home, and this kid got in his way and was killed. Then, the police say that he was driving drunk and arrested him." Cordelia shook her head.

"What?" Buffy gaped at Cordelia.

"I know. Luckily, he wasn't put in jail - he got probation. But the judge said that he had to go to AA, and he has to listen to these people talk about how their kid or whatever was killed by a drunk driver. Hey, the light's green."

"Oh." Buffy stepped on the gas. She didn't know what to think. She remembered that Angel was a heavy drinker. There were times when Buffy was afraid to get into the car with him. She didn't want to think that he had actually killed someone, though.

After Buffy dropped Cordelia off, she drove off in a dazed state. She lived in the more modest part of Sunnydale. She dressed like she had tons of money, though. Her father gave her a credit card after her parent's divorce. She went shopping every time her father had to cancel a visit. She ended up shopping a lot.

Buffy started to turn onto her street and was greeted with the blare of headlights. The car appeared in her lane and was coming straight toward her. It was too late to swerve out of the way. She slammed on her breaks. Her head whipped to the back of the seat and then forward into the airbag. By the time Buffy got over the shock of what happened, the other driver had driven away.

Shaking, she got out of the car. The front, right corner was smashed.

* * *

Willow, William, and Xander ran outside when they heard the crash.

"Buffy?" Willow approached the girl. She was staring at the car.

Buffy lifted her head and looked at the three of them. She burst into tears.

TBC - please review