Author's Chapter Notes:
I still own nothing. Maybe if I got a really good paying job I could afford a piece of Spike but for now Joss is hoarding. Just to get this out of the way, I plan on playing with the timeline a little bit. While I know that Riley isn’t really a part of Buffy’s life at this point in season 4, I want to use him in the story (Don’t worry no Buffy/Riley) so pretend that him and Buffy at least talk to each other. Also while I very much love Oz, I want to use Tara in the story and maybe Dawn. Thanks for reading and reviewing and please keep the reviews coming, I love to hear from anybody. Thanks ~Rach~
“What have you done Spike?”

The watcher’s question floored the vampire. Did he really think that Spike was so incredibly stupid as to harm the Slayer and then bring her body to the watcher’s home. Spike hadn’t lived so long because he was dense, and he sure as hell didn’t have a death wish. Unsure of how to respond to the watcher’s question without getting shot at or getting the Slayer harmed further, Spike stumbled around an answer.

“Well…I…see the Slayer…I didn’t…big demon, really big demon…but, bloody hell watcher would you lower your weapon I didn’t do anything to the girl.” Spike stuttered out while surreptitiously trying to maneuver the Slayer’s body to act as a human shield.

“Oh, and I’ll suppose that you expect me to believe the words of a soulless, evil murderer?” Giles asked him, not wavering with his weapons aim.

“Just invite me in, I’ll put down your Slayer somewhere comfy, explain what I saw happen, and then I’ll leave without complaint leaving you to perform a disinvite. I even promise not to snack on anyone while in your presence. I won’t hurt any of yours and you let me leave in one piece. Deal?” Spike tried to reason with the watcher. “I advise you take the deal because I can be gone before the bolt leaves the crossbow and I’ll still have your Slayer in my arms.” He was pretty sure that that last threat would get through to the watcher, and sure enough.

“Come in Spike,” Giles grit the words out through clenched teeth but moved aside with a cowering Willow hiding behind him.

“Don’t mind if I do.” Spike smirked cheekily at the watcher and redhead as he moved past them into the flat. “Don’t mind if I do.”

Spike carefully settled the Slayer on to the living room couch. He then tucked a couch pillow under her head and pulled a throw off the back of the chair to cover her with. Brushing hair off of her face, he was pulled from his thoughts by the watcher clearing his throat.

“Giles,” Willow whispered to him, “shouldn’t her slayer healing have her waking up yet? If she just bumped her head, she should be awake already, shouldn’t she? She will wake up won’t she Giles?”

“Just one problem with that Red, Slayer wasn’t hit in the head, and she didn’t fall. Looked mystical to me.” Spike answered the rambling girl who was clearly worried for her friend.

“I suggest that you start talking Spike, what happened to my Slayer?”

“From what I saw it was a large demon; Slayer was having trouble fighting it. Actually looked like she just made it right pissed off. He threw her across the cemetery, she got up, picked something up, and next thing I know she’d falling into my arms.” As Spike related what happened he picked up the locket from around the Slayer’s neck.

“Just looks like an ordinary locket, but when the Slayer looked inside it some weird light came out and she passed out. When I picked it up nothing happened, but it was a little odd that the thing had a picture of the Slayer in it.” Spike opened the locket to show the others the picture that was inside and was met with a surprise.

“Who the bloody hell is this corn fed git?” he yelled.

“Oh, well that’s…well it’s Riley, he’s our T.A. in psychology. I never new Buffy had a thing for him. But oh, he’s her true love? That’s so sweet, he’s really nice, and normal, and not a vampire which is good, not that there’s anything wrong with being a vampire. I’m sure it’s a great existence to have Spike. Nope nothing wrong with being a vamp, please don’t eat me.” Willow babbled on.

“Not gonna eat you Red,” Spike sulked, “I don’t think that that git Riley is really the Slayer’s equal, look even their pictures don’t match.”

Spike did have a point, while the picture of Buffy was very clear and colorful, hat of Riley was hazy and done in black and white.

“I suggest that we figure out what kind of demon Buffy fought tonight and try to find that amulet in one of my books instead of worrying about who Buffy should be dating. Willow would you be so kind as to call the others and have them come over for research?” Giles asked the redhead.

“Sure Giles, I’m on it, just call me phone call girl.” Willow replied.

“Well it seems as though you have everything under control. I’ll just be going now, tell the Slayer to come find me when she wakes up.” Spike threw over his shoulder as he headed for the door.

“Oh no you don’t, you were the only one other than Buffy to see that demon so you are going to sit down and help us identify it.” Giles scolded the vampire.

With a low huff Spike turned around and threw himself down into one of the living room chairs to pout, although he would never admit to it.

“Fine, it’s not like I have anything better to do than to help the Slayer and her merry band of white hats. Just make sure you don’t let that whelp boy anywhere near me with a stake,” he complained.

He than glanced over at the unmoving face of his beautiful mortal enemy.

“Let the research begin.” I hope you appreciate this when you wake up pet.




Buffy was busy trying to untangle her hair after having been forced to sleep on the ground the night before. When it had started to get dark, she had curled up in a hollow at the base of a large tree and immediately fell into a deep sleep. She had been completely exhausted after having spent the day walking for miles on end and still not getting anywhere. She had thus slept through the whole night like a log, with no disturbances and was now getting ready to continue her trek.

After ordering herself up a bagel and orange juice for breakfast, Buffy continued on. Again, like the day before she saw no signs of any human habitation. As the day continued on into late afternoon and she still hadn’t met anyone, she was getting just a little frustrated and upset.

Then out of the corner of her eye Buffy thought she saw something run through the underbrush in the woods just off to her left. It was at this same time that the air around her became heavier and she could feel energy in the air.

Looking around herself for the source of movement, Buffy glanced down and was surprised to see that the outfit that she had worn patrolling had been replaced. In it’s place she now wore a red and white plaid dress, a white pinafore apron, and a nice red cloak. She also found that there was a basket of goodies sitting at her feet, waiting to be delivered.

Great, I’m now to play the part of little innocent girl. Well at least I know what’s lurking in the woods.

“Come out, come out, you big bad wolf, I don’t take kindly to people following me to my Mother’s house.” Buffy laughed to herself as she called out into the woods, thinking of Spike, her own personal big bad wolf, ready to gobble her up at any moment.

While she was distracted with thoughts of Spike, a large gray wolf appeared on the path in front of her. Buffy, not afraid in the least after having dealt with Oz on a couple rough nights was anxious to start her role playing as Little Red.

“Well hello little girl, what are you doing all alone in the woods?” the wolf asked Buffy, starting an exchange that she knew very well, having read the story countless times.

Changing the story a little Buffy answered back, “I’m on my way to my mother’s house to bring her some goodies that my friend Willow made. My mother hasn’t been feeling very well lately so I am on my way to cheer her up.”

“Would you like some company on your walk to your mother’s, I’m sure she is an excellent woman and I would love to meet her.” The wolf asked with a grin, once more reminding Buffy of Spike.

Since Buffy was desperate for some company and knew the wolf was no match for the slayer, she agreed to let him join her and they set off together. Buffy now instantly knew the way to her “mother’s house” and believed that it was because she was now part of a story.

Buffy and the wolf shared some pleasant conversation as they made their way through the woods, as well as a couple chocolate-chip cookies that Buffy found in her basket. The wolf was just trying to explain to Buffy where the dragons lived when there was another sound in the woods. The wolf than surprised Buffy and stepped in front of her trying to shield her from what was coming.

“I’ll take care of what ever is coming and then finish walking you to your mother’s, don’t worry.” The wolf, whom she had learned was called Magnus, told her. Buffy decided that in the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood must have been very mean to the wolf and must not have shared her goodies in order to drive Magnus to try and eat her and her Granny. Buffy on the other hand found the wolf to be a complete gentleman and very informative even though he did remind her an awful lot of Spike.

Pulling herself back to the matter at hand, Buffy heard a voice ordering the wolf to, “step away from the little lady.”

Peeking around the wolf, Buffy was surprised to see what looked like Riley with a weapon pointed at the wolf.

“Riley?”

He did a double take. “I’m sorry ma’am do I know you? I think I would remember a pretty girl like you. I am called Riley though, I’m the huntsman around these parts, keep pretty girls like you safe at night.” Riley replied in a holier than thou voice.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “As you can see I am perfectly fine. I don’t need to be saved by you or anyone else. The wolf was just escorting me to my mother’s house.

“I insist that you step away from the lady or I will shoot.” Riley demanded of the wolf, completely ignoring Buffy, which only served to infuriate her.

“Did you not hear me? I don’t need help from you or anyone else, I don’t need to be saved, and I defiantly do not feel safer at night knowing that they let an idiot like you carry a weapon.” Buffy yelled at Hunter Riley.

Looking a little put out, Riley had no reply but continued to keep his gun leveled at the wolf.

“Buffy dear, it’s alright. If you think that you will be ok making it to your mother’s from here alone, I’ll just head out, it will be better that way, you know, with me not being dead.” Magnus whispered to Buffy.

She smiled at him and nodded. Tipping his head at her and giving a smirk of his own, Magnus retreated into the trees. Watching after him, Buffy was stunned to feel two large arms encircle her.

“Don’t worry now miss, you’re alright now. I rescued you from that murderous monster. You’re safe and I’ll help you to stay that way until we get you home.

Whirling around and pushing his arms off of her, Buffy wondered how she every saw boyfriend material in the oaf standing in front of her.

“For your information I didn’t need to be rescued. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself and want you to leave. I can make it to my mother’s safely by my self. Do you understand, I could wipe the floor with you, now leave before I decide to test that theory.” Buffy ranted to the absurd man who thought he could save the world.

Said idiot was giving Buffy a patronizing look and smiling at her. “ Come on now darling, the woods are not a safe place for pretty young girls to be and you know that you young girls shouldn’t even be thinking about fighting, you should be thinking about marriage and babies and that sort of thing. That’s what proper girls think about. Now come with me I’ll take you to your mother’s and get you there much more safely than any wolf could. Come along.”

Buffy threw her hands into the air and stomped into the woods muttering to herself about jackass men and something about The Terminator not even noticing or caring that Riley was walking after her.

Riley on the other hand was proudly following the prettiest girl that he had ever saved and was only mildly concerned that the girl was laughing to herself about something she was muttering. He had no idea why “Come with me if you want to live” was funny. Oh well, he’d fix her after they were married.