--


Angel stalked across the empty hotel lobby. There were no sounds other than his footsteps. The hotel's favourite new noise was silence. But then again, what were you to expect when everyone who had recently worked there had been fired?

Obliterating the small inkling of doubt he had in his plans, Angel marched into the little kitchenette behind the lobby and pulled open the refrigerator door. He took out a packet of blood before slipping into his vampire visage and sinking his fangs into the plastic bag. After draining it of its gory, red contents, Angel tossed the bag onto the counter, slipped back into his human face and walked back out to the lobby.

He was just about to head up the stairs to catch a few more hours of sleep when the front doors opened. Angel's head snapped around suddenly as the scent of his visitors reached him. Darla walked in with Drusilla tagging along behind.

"Hello Angelus," his sire said with some amusement.

Angel couldn't control his anger or his human features. He was so hoping that she'd get the message and would just leave town when he'd set her on fire but here she was, in his territory even. He growled.

"Calm down. Not here to fight, just to bring some good news."

Angel stopped growling but kept on his demon visage to show Darla that he was listening but she wasn't welcome as a friend. Darla took this as a prompt to continue, so she did.

"We have an addition to the family. The youngest, our own Spike took himself a mate yesterday; sired her about a week and a half ago."

At this Angel frowned and grew thoughtful. The only person he thought Spike would have even considered as a mate was Drusilla but no, Drusilla and Spike had never actually claimed each other. He had often wondered why. Angel looked at Drusilla, thinking her reaction would be one of sorrow, that her childe had chosen a mate that wasn't her. But he was wrong. Drusilla looked, if nothing, gleeful at having become a grandsire.

"We're going to go visit William and the baby in her Hellmouth cradle," Drusilla said in a singsong voice and then lowering her voice to a whisper, she said playfully, "Want to come?"

It suddenly occurred to Angel what Drusilla had just said.

"Wait," he said, "You mean, Spike's in Sunnydale?"

"Haven't been keeping up with the gossip of the demon world lately, have we?" Darla said.

Angel looked at the floor, not realizing that his features had shifted back to human. "Buffy," he whispered. He couldn't let Drusilla and Darla go to Sunnydale. Chances are they would run into the Slayer and with a battle like that, it was anyone's guess who would come out alive, or not dusted at least. And he had to warn Buffy about Spike's new mate. He assumed that she already knew of his presence.

"Don't worry," Darla continued. Angel's eyes rose up to meet hers. "I'm sure your precious Slayer already knows about the new vampiress."

Drusilla started giggling uncontrollably. Both female vampires knew the identity of the youngest of their family but it was way too much fun to keep it a secret, rather than let Angel know.

Angel shot forward with inhuman speed and grabbed Darla by the throat, not hard enough to hurt, but hard enough to let her know he meant what he was saying. Drusilla watched with a mixture of fascination and nervousness, her eyes flickering back and forth between her elders.

"Go to Sunnydale and greet Spike's childe if you have to but don't go anywhere near Buffy." He growled for emphasis. He didn't want any of his three women getting hurt. Much as he hated to admit it, Angel didn't want to lose his sire again and had always felt obligated to look after his childe.

Darla smiled seductively. "Promise," she said at last. Angel released her as Drusilla started whimpering. Still smiling, Darla beckoned to Drusilla and the two master vampires headed for the exit. Angel watched them go.

Drusilla danced through the doors but Darla said one more thing before leaving.

"I almost forgot. If nothing else interested you, then maybe this will. Spike's new childe...has a soul."

Darla grinned and bounced out the door as Angel's eyes widened in shock.