--


Giles drove the used RV down a long stretch of highway. Dawn, Willow, Tara, Anya, and Xander sat around the table, each lost in their own thoughts. Spike sat on the floor beside Dawn, looking irritated, while Willow studied a book.

The silence was making Anya edgy so she did what she usually did and said the first thing that came to her mind that wasn't 'We're all going to die!'

"Shouldn't somebody be asking, 'Are we there yet?'"

Willow looked up from her book briefly, then returned to her reading. She caught a few words every time Tara became calmed or distracted enough by something not to make a fuss. Though Willow just skimmed, so she could keep an eye on her girl.

Anya wasn't daunted by the lack of response and turned to Xander.

"Isn't that what small entertaining children do?"

But Xander didn't say anything. He was afraid that if he opened his mouth, his lunch would come out.

Dawn ventured into the poor-excuse for a conversation.

"That kinda only works if you know where you're going."

Anya nodded and pondered this as Xander groaned softly.

"Do we know where we're going yet?" Anya asked no one in particular.

Right then, Buffy came out from the back. Everyone looked at her. She appeared rather gloomy.

"Couldn't sleep," she said simply and wandered over to Spike. She sat down on the floor between his thighs and leaned against his chest. He put his arms around her waist.

This earned a surprised look from Xander that would have been more enthusiastic if his face hadn't been turning an odd shade of green. He knew that Spike had been staying over at the Summers house a lot recently but he had denied any obvious signs that implied Buffy and Spike were together. He just comforted himself by telling himself that a sire was merely helping his childe through a difficult time. That was all.

Willow glanced up and gave a tired smile before returning to her book. Tara noticed nothing and continued intently watching something on the wooden tabletop. Anya thought they were a cute couple.

This came as no surprise to Dawn, who had been sleeping a few doors down from the room her sister now shared with Spike. Or trying to sleep. She couldn't count the amount of nights she had fallen asleep with her headphones on, to block out sounds she didn't need to hear emanating from their room.

Everyone looked up as the vehicle jostled and bumped.

"Is anybody else queasy?" Xander groaned.

Nobody answered and there was more silence.

Anya was getting fed up.

"So. Where are we going?" she asked again.

Buffy sighed.

"Anybody got an idea?" she said.

"Las Vegas," said Anya.

"Angel," said Dawn.

"Anywhere far away," said Xander.

"Fish it out!" yelled Tara.

"Wait," Buffy said suddenly. "What was that Dawn?"

"Angel," she said. "He has a hotel now right?"

Buffy bit her lip.

"Um..." She said and looked at Spike.

The idea was perfect. Angel was close by but not too close. He had plenty of guest-space. He had weapons on hand if needed. But going to Angel's would mean confrontation and her having to come up with a very good reason as to why Angel was not allowed to stake Spike.

*Well, what was more important? Her sister's safety or her "secret" relationship with Spike?* Buffy asked herself.

Spike looked like he was thinking the same thing.

Buffy's eyes never left his.

"Yeah...okay." She said.

"Giles," she called, finally tearing her eyes away from her mate's. "Head to L. A."