--


"I'm so sorry" was the first thing he said to her after the door had closed.

Buffy frowned.

"Don't be."

"But..." Angel said. "This must be awful for you."

Buffy exhaled unnecessarily and rolled her eyes to the side of the room.

"It was a little weird at first, but I've gotten used to it."

"But with /Spike/ as your sire?"

"He's different now."

"No...he...you don't...know him like I do." Angel argued.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Outside, Dawn was telling a story to an attentive Cordelia, Wesley, and Gunn, while the Sunnydale gang relaxed some, listening in every now and then.

"So then Glory thought Tara..." Dawn turned and pointed to the witch. "...was the Key, and brain-sucked her." Dawn sighed with guilt. "That's why she's...kinda crazy right now."

Spike wasn't listening. He was lost in his own thoughts. Whoever stated that vampires didn't have feelings was wrong. Vampires have feelings alright, with or without a soul. They just didn't have a conscience to reign those feelings in. And Spike knew for a fact that vampires had to have feelings because of how hollow he felt for those two days after he sired Buffy, while she lay dead to the world on the living room couch. And he knew he loved her. There wasn't a doubt in his mind about that. Then he had those unstable thoughts of Angelus taking away his Slayer. He knew Buffy had loved him with all her teenage heart. And even though Buffy had /said/ she loved him, he knew that she was still slightly disoriented from the new sensation of having a sire. Every childe is highly influenced by their sire for several months, tagging along until they start to earn their own footing in the demon world. But Buffy wouldn't be earning a name for herself in the demon world. Not an admired name anyway. She was the first fledgling to be good from the beginning. It was anyone's guess how she would end up. Spike wasn't looking forward to the day when Buffy became fully her own person and not just the fledgling-childe anymore. Spike figured that her "love" for him would quickly drop away, once Buffy was back in the fully in- control state of mind she was in before becoming a vampire. When /he/ had reached that point of epiphany, his obsession with Drusilla had faltered and he disappeared for a few days. But, unlike Buffy, he didn't have a conscience and an actual life that one might desire to return to. Spike had hated his human life. So he returned to Drusilla, this time as her paramour, not just her childe. But Buffy had options. Buffy had friends. She could drop him and return to her life when her freedom epiphany hit. And if she did, Spike knew, she would return to Angel's arms. The minute Buffy turned to his grandsire, Spike vowed to stake himself. He couldn't watch her turn away again.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

When Angel had seen Buffy, a vampire and been cursed with a soul too, his immediate reaction was sorrow at her loss, but then joy. This gave leeway for him and Buffy to be together. But then Buffy dropped a bombshell on him: she loved Spike.

Angel's mind was racing a mile a minute, trying to sort out everything Buffy was telling him.

She /asked/ him to sire her? He loves her? She loves him? What?

Angel shook his head for a minute.

"So...please don't stake him." Buffy finished. "Or me," She added as an afterthought.

Angel had learned from the demon community that, in a roundabout way, Spike now worked for the white hats. He had gone out shortly after Darla and Drusilla's informative visit. But he hadn't known much about the Scoobies' personal lives. Though learning that piece of information sparked more confusing thoughts. Like why Spike would have sired someone if he was good. Or how Spike became good. He didn't have a soul. But Buffy had just explained the whole story, with the chip and the demon with two knives and so on and so on.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Dawn had finished with her story of "why we're at your hotel" and everyone was currently just spacing out, when Angel suddenly stomped out of the office, grabbed his coat, and left the building, leaving Buffy standing in the doorway looking irritated and slightly hurt.