--


Buffy sighed and put her head in her hands. She was looking forward to tonight's patrol, so she could get out of the house.

The Summers house had gone from housing two women and a vampire, to housing three women, a vampire, and a robot. The sudden addition of April and Tara about a month ago had a big impact on the residents' lifestyle. True, April didn't need to eat, but she did need a place to recharge for a night a month. They usually set her up on the couch.

Buffy dragged her eyes open and lifted her head to look at the mortgage bill again. She nearly winced. They needed money badly. And Buffy was at a disadvantage when it came to getting a job. She couldn't do anything that involved going out during the day and she only had a year and a half of college under her belt.

She sighed again, and toyed with the idea of asking Spike for help. She knew he stole what he needed, and knew he'd steal a lot more for her if she asked. But stealing was wrong. And while it suited Spike, who didn't have the credit to prove himself qualified for a job in the human world, it wouldn't suit her. Her medical reports were recent enough and as far as society was concerned, she was still alive; therefore she would have to get by as if she were. And she knew that if she were alive she wouldn't steal.

Buffy shook her head and tried to sort her thoughts. Then she stood up. Folding the bill into her pocket, she decided tomorrow she would search for what limited jobs she could find where she could take the night shift.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

"Buffy?" Dawn said as she entered her house the next day. She was in a good mood. Her sister was taking her patrolling for the first time today, /and/ school had gone relatively well.

"Buffy?" Dawn said again as she closed the door behind her.

"Hi Dawn!" Said an overly cheerful voice.

Dawn turned around. The android was standing in the doorway to the kitchen with oven mittens on.

"Oh. Hey April." Dawn said and walked past her into the kitchen.

"How was school?" She asked enthusiastically.

"It was alright," Dawn said and swung her backpack onto the floor. "Where is everyone?"

"Buffy's sleeping. Willow and Tara are in class. Willow told me to clean the house and cook dinner. Chocolate chip cookie?"

She zealously held out the plate to Dawn, whose good mood ebbed a little.

"Uh...thanks."

April smiled brightly.

"You're welcome!"

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Later that night, Spike, Dawn, and Buffy entered the Magic Box. Dawn groaned slightly, the muscles in her legs protesting the movements.

Xander, Tara, and Willow sat around the table while Anya manned the counter. April was set to work cleaning some of the merchandise. Giles wasn't in sight.

"Hey girls," Xander said when he spotted them. "And Spike."

"How did--" Willow started, looking up from her book.

"Hello Buffy, Dawn, and Spike!" Chirped April.

They each gave her a small nod of recognition to make her happy. April was satisfied with the replies and continued to alphabetize the candles by their colour names.

"Once again," Willow said, vaguely regretting having restarted the robot. "How did patrol go?"

Dawn groaned again and flopped into the free chair.

"That bad huh?"

"Dawn did dust a vampire though," Buffy said.

"Oh...well done Dawn," said a familiar British voice from above them.

Dawn and Buffy both looked toward the small balcony area where the books that weren't for sale were kept.

Giles expertly came down the ladder, a book in one hand.

"I've just been researching the book I found in Los Angeles, concerning the Key...or, a key, I should say."

"Huh?" Buffy and Dawn said simultaneously. Giles had everyone's attention.

"Apparently, Dawn is /a/ key. There are three in total."

"So, should we be worrying that some other baddie's going to use these keys?" Buffy inquired, slightly worried. The lengths she had gone through to protect Dawn had been exhausting, though well worth it, but it would be difficult to protect three keys.

"No I shouldn't think so. Glory was after Dawn because she is the main key. It is possible to take down the walls of reality with the main key, but you'd need the second key to stop dimensions from bleeding into each other, and the third to put the walls back up. Obviously, Glory saw no need to go after the other two keys."

"Are the other keys girls too?" Dawn asked. Maybe they could start a club.

"No. One, I believe, was transmogrified into a grain of sand and thrown into the Kalahari Desert in Africa--"

"Smart monks," Willow interrupted.

"--and the third is unknown. But I'm sure we're safe, what with the location of the first two."

He smiled warmly at Dawn, who gave him a smile back, before she yawned.

"Somebody want to drive me home?" She asked.

"Sure Dawnie. Come on April," said Willow. She and Tara started to gather their things. As did Anya and Xander. April smiled and obediently followed.

"Good idea," Buffy said. "Me and Spike'll finish patrolling."

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Things had been awkward all night.

The two vampires had barely said anything to each other during the last sweep of the cemeteries.

Ever since that scene in the Magic Box, they weren't sure how to act around one another. Buffy was fretting that her mate was rejecting her; Spike was torn between wanting to love her with all his unbeating heart and AWOL soul, and doing what he thought human, lucid-thinking Buffy would want.

She kept coming back to the same answer: she must be pushing him away. Maybe she was realizing it early this time. She sifted through her thoughts and memories, trying to figure out what was happening. She knew that something was going on, but she couldn't determine what exactly.

He kept coming back to the same answer: take the love you got now and take her scorn later. It wasn't a fun prospect, but it was better than isolating her now and then later losing her forever.

Before they knew it, they had reached her front door.

/Now what?/ they both thought, looking at their feet.

"Um..." Buffy said very quietly. He looked up as she tentatively stepped forward and put her arms around him in a hug.

She smiled when she felt him relax into her, his arms sliding around her to hold her close.

She pulled back after a few seconds to look at him. He leaned down and swiftly kissed her. The kiss was calm, each vampire holding back, not sure how far the other wanted to go.

With a small smile on both their lips, they reluctantly let go of each other. Buffy bowed her head slightly, and Spike, smile still in place, began to walk down the pathway through the front yard.

He wasn't halfway when he heard her running footsteps behind him. He had just enough time to turn around before Buffy was upon him, pressing her body against his, wrapping her limbs around him, and sliding her tongue into his mouth. Spike took full advantage, holding her everywhere he could. Each vampire's hunger sated as their passion grew.