--


The 9:30 train to Los Angeles sped through the night. Darla sat down in her seat and looked out the window. She had already finished her half of the occupants of the carriage they were in. Drusilla was almost done, only one middle-aged lady to go. She was screaming of course and as much as Darla enjoyed that sound, she didn't hear it. She was too lost in her thoughts.

She marveled at how quickly a Vampire Slayer could become precious to her. Darla had been the eldest, the head of the family ever since she had chosen Angelus over the Master. Angelus loved being in control and she had let him teach Drusilla, torture Spike. But no matter how many times it had been Angelus leading the group, she had always had that magickal something that her family could sense. Even though she had been resurrected and re-sired, those magicks still held strong. When she became a vampire again, her position as head was re-installed. She was still the eldest and felt the need to look over her family of master vampires.

She had loved Angelus in her own way and had still loved him when he became Angel, after the anger over his soul had passed. She loved Drusilla like a sister, or a daughter. And it was nice when she was sired. It's always good to have another girl around. She had disliked Spike in many ways. He was not the most obedient fledgling and this she disapproved of but she admired his spirit. Drusilla had chosen well. Darla saw that William was the type who could handle the burden of immortality. And there had always been a special place in her non-beating heart for the youngest of her family. Now that part belonged to Buffy, though she was still fond of Spike's rebellion.

Of course being a vampire, love always had violence intertwined with it. Any human would think "they must really hate each other", but to vampires, it was just how they showed they cared.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Tara, Anya, Willow, and Xander were sitting around the table at the Magic Box talking.

"Well, at least she didn't do too much damage," Tara said.

"Are you kidding? Double-glazed windows ain't cheap. And the jamb needs to be completely repaired," Xander started. "Oh dear god, I'm the grownup who sees the world through my job. I'm like my uncle Dave the plumber. I must be shunned.

"Okay," Willow said. "So, what do you guys think she is? I mean, this may sound nuts, but I kinda got the impression that she was a-

"Robot," Tara finished.

Everyone nodded as the door that leads to the basement opened and Buffy and Spike walked in.

When Buffy had been turned, the gang decided that they were going to just treat Buffy as they always had. It would make things worse if they suddenly acted like she would bite them or something.

Surprisingly, Buffy wasn't as unnerved by her turning as everyone, including Spike, thought she would be.

Shortly after Buffy had woken up, Willow restored her soul with the same spell that haunted Angel except with a few modifications. The "perfect happiness clause" had been left out so Buffy was in no danger of losing her soul.

"Hey guys. What's up?" Buffy asked. She was still a little nervous about being around her friends but the uneasiness was slowly but surely ebbing every time she saw them.

Buffy took a seat at the table and Spike stood nearby.

"Hey Buffy," Willow said, "We were talking about this robot that was at the party we went to last night."

"Robot?" Buffy asked.

"Yeah. She threw a guy through a window." Xander added.

"She?"

"Yep. And not all that bad looking." Xander continued which earned another stare from Anya.

*He loves only me.* *He loves only me.* She chanted in her head.

"Ah," Buffy said. "So, what do you think she wants?"

"She kept asking about Warren, whoever that is," supplied Tara.

"It's gotta be the guy that built her," said Xander.

"It's an unusual name," said Willow, "There's hardly any except ... Warren Beatty and, you know, President Harding. It-it's probably not either of them."

"Will, can you track down this guy with only a first name?" Buffy questioned.

Willow nodded. "Given enough time. I can get a list of the Sunnydale students named Warren tonight, but ... then we'll have to call them or go to their dorms, so we probably can't start narrowing it down till tomorrow."

Buffy frowned.

"She could do a lot of damage by then," said Anya.

"She was looking for this Warren, but it didn't sound like she wanted to hurt him. She said he's her boyfriend." Xander said helpfully.

"I agree," said Willow, "I'm not sure this is a code red. Hey, is there a code pink? We need more codes." Tara smiled at her girlfriend.

"Okay. We'll track down Warren tomorrow. Tonight I better go rescue Giles. He's been watching Dawn while my mom's out on her date, and I have a feeling there's only so much he can take," said Buffy.

"Oh, Giles and Dawnie? I bet they ended up having a blast." Tara said with a smile.

Spike, who had been incredibly bored through the most of the meeting, snapped back to reality when everyone stood up.

Buffy wandered over to Spike and slipped her hand into his as Tara and Willow finished gathering up their things.

"Bye Buffy," Willow said and headed toward the door.

Buffy gave her a short wave and a smile.

"Bye Buffy. Bye Spike," Tara said quietly.

Spike was a little surprised. None of the Scoobies had ever really been civil to him before. He smiled at her.

"Bye Tara," he said. She looked down shyly and followed her girlfriend.

Xander waited by the door for Anya who was flicking off the lights.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Spike and Buffy walked up Revello Drive, their arms around the other's waist. They were quite content as they approached the Summers' front door.

"Dear god, Buffy, there's only so much I can take," Giles said exasperated, when he answered the door. Spike looked amused. "We're going to have to change the system. A fourteen-year-old's too old to be babysat, and it's not fair on her."

Buffy nodded and grinned. "What'd she make you do?"

"Um, well, we listened to aggressively cheerful music sung by people chosen for their ability to dance ... then we ate cookie dough and talked about boys."

Buffy laughed and Spike smirked.

"I'm sorry. I'm very very sorry. Well, the gang informed me that a robot threw a guy through a window at the party they went to." Buffy said.

"A robot? Sounds interesting," Giles replied.

"We're gonna work on it in the morning. I mean, unless you wanna stay for a while, and then you and I could--"

Joyce appeared behind Giles, entering the house with a big smile.

"Who wants to hear everything?" she said happily.

"--listen to my mom talk about boys," Buffy finished.

"Right, must go," Giles said quickly. "See you tomorrow. Bye Joyce."

"Bye Rupert." She said while closing the door, then turned around. "Hello Spike."

"Hey Joyce."

Joyce had a big smile on her face. "Gosh, I'd forgotten how much fun dating can be."

Buffy smiled back. "I don't know. I was standing right here. I didn't see Prince Charming. I didn't even see a goodnight kiss."

Joyce, still smiling, walked past Buffy to put her purse down.

"It all looked pretty tame to me," Buffy said.

"Well, I suppose by your standards it could seem pretty. . .Oh dear." She cut herself off.

"What?" Buffy asked concerned.

"I left my bra in his car."

Buffy looked shocked and horrified, while Spike's smirk had returned.

"Mother!"

"I'm joking." Joyce said with a smile.

Buffy sighed. "Good god, that's horrible. Don't do that."

"I left it in the restaurant."

Buffy put her hands over her ears and started to run up the stairs. "No more! No more! No more!"

"On the dessert cart!" Joyce yelled up the stairs after her.

"I can't hear you!" Buffy yelled back faintly.

Joyce and Spike couldn't stop laughing for about three minutes.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

After Buffy had been wooed back from her traumatized state, and they had made sure that Joyce was okay and Dawn asleep, Spike and Buffy headed out to patrol. Buffy had told her mom that she would probably be staying at Spike's. Joyce had given a knowing smile and said okay.