--


There was about an hour until sunrise when Spike finally kicked open the door to his crypt. He had volunteered to finish up patrol tonight and was slightly tired from the battle he just fought with an unidentified, unfriendly demon. The demon had fought well and had gotten in a few bruising hits but the fight ended with the demon headless and Spike's axe stained.

He clunked the axe down onto the stone sarcophagus and shrugged off his duster before draping it on the easy chair and walking over to the trapdoor that led to the lower level. He pulled it open and descended the stairs, pulling it closed again after him.

It was quite dark in the lower level; only one candle was still burning, but Spike's eyes quickly adjusted to the low light. He kicked off his boots and stripped off his clothes quietly, mindful of his sleeping mate. He climbed into the bed next to her. She was turned away from him and the covers had slipped off, leaving the length of her back exposed to him.

He smiled and traced a finger up the length of her spine. She arched into her sire's touch and rolled over in her sleep. He slipped his arms around her and pulled her close. She let out a small growl of happiness before snuggling into him and slipping into a deeper sleep.

She could now lower the defenses she automatically raised when she slept, and relax. Her sire was here. She was protected.

He smiled again, kissed her forehead and also fell into a deep sleep.

--= * =-- --= * =-- --= * =--

Buffy's first thought as she awoke was "is Dawn safe?" She opened her eyes, berating herself for falling asleep at Spike's crypt.

She arrived at the cemetery last night at 9:00 to patrol. Her new demon instincts liked to sleep during the day and keep her awake most of the night. Spike had joined her around midnight and they had patrolled for three hours until Buffy had started to get tired. Spike said that she could crash at his crypt if she wanted to while he finished up patrolling and she had accepted.

Buffy untangled herself from Spike's arms and sat up. After stretching, she slipped out of bed and got her watch from her pile of clothes. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. Buffy rolled her eyes and fastened the watch around her wrist.

Spike woke up as she finished getting dressed.

"Too early," he muttered.

She looked up and smiled tolerantly. "It's 4:30 p.m."

"Still too early."

She walked around the bed to his side and nimbly leapt on top of him. At this, he finally opened his eyes. She leaned down and fervently locked her lips with his. He returned the kiss with equal passion.

After a minute, she pulled away.

"Come on. We have half an hour to get to the Magic Box."

He sighed but made to get out of bed as she slid off him.

"Do you know how to get to there via the sewer system?" she asked as she sat down to pull on her shoes.

"Yeah, luv. Done it many times before," he replied, pulling on his jeans.

"Good," she said standing up. "Because I have no idea where I'm going when I'm underground."

"Pet could you get my duster? It's upstairs on the chair."

"Sure."

Buffy climbed up the ladder as Spike continued to get dressed. He heard her shove open the trapdoor, step out onto the landing, and then suddenly stop.

"Spike..." Buffy's voice carried to the lower level. Spike knew something was up and quickly scaled the ladder.

"What is it?" He said, coming up behind her, then stopping, just as she had done. Almost unconsciously, Spike slid an arm around his childe's waist and pulled her just a bit closer.

"Hello Spike. Hello Buffy," Darla said. Drusilla smiled gleefully at her side.

Spike eyed them warily.

Darla sighed. "What is it with the males of my family?" she wondered aloud.

"Why are you here?" Spike asked.

"Aren't you dead?" added Buffy.

"We're all dead here, honey." Darla replied.

"Dust then?"

"Yeah, well, an evil law firm resurrected me and now I'm back."

"You didn't answer my question," Spike said, his arm still around Buffy.

"We came to visit the new baby," Drusilla said while bouncing happily.

"Baby?" said Buffy.

"Just visit?" Spike said cautiously.

"Yes. Unlike /some/ people in our bloodline, I care about my relatives. And we haven't had a new addition to our line since Dru sired you. This is big news." Darla said.

"Oh, you mean me! How'd you find out?" Buffy asked.

"Are you kidding?" Darla said with smile. "You're the first Slayer to be turned in years. There isn't a demon in America and then some who hasn't heard. Congratulations, by the way."

Buffy was a little surprised but then, she realized, what had she been expecting?

Spike had relaxed his hold on Buffy by now, assuming she was safe. Darla watched as Drusilla skipped forward, almost dancing, toward Buffy. Spike almost put his arm back around her waist but then he saw that Drusilla was smiling and bore no threat.

Buffy was a little apprehensive as Drusilla approached her but stood her ground. Drusilla looked into Buffy's eyes for a moment and then threw her arms around the young vampire, pulling her into a hug. Darla, Spike and Drusilla were near grinning. Buffy was a little surprised but returned the hug and soon found herself smiling also.

Drusilla made a small high-pitched noise in her throat before pulling away. She took Buffy's hands in hers.

"You must call me Grandmummy," she said excitedly before bursting into giggles. Buffy couldn't help but widen her smile. She had never really had a grandparent before. Her mom's parents had died before she was born and her dad's had lost contact with her mom after the divorce.

"This is something I never thought I'd see," Spike said.

"Tell me about it," Darla agreed.

Spike picked up his duster from the chair and pulled it on before sitting down on the stone sarcophagus. Darla sat next to him. They watched as Drusilla pulled Buffy around in a dance, both of them laughing.

Buffy found that Drusilla was like a child, a child with a great deal of bloodlust but still. If Drusilla hadn't been sired, Buffy imagined that she would have been quite the innocent. She also found that she no longer had such a violent urge to stake Darla and Drusilla as she had at one point.

This was because her Slayer instincts had been half-matched, half- contradicted by her new vampiristic instincts. Vampires don't stake other vampires because it's in their nature. Another reason was because the vampire part of her mind recognized these vampiresses specifically as "family".

By staking Darla, Angel had broken an ancient taboo among vampires. You didn't stake your sire; you just didn't. The taboo applied to other members of your bloodline, but not as strongly.

"So how's it feel?" Darla said.

"How's what feel?" Spike replied, not taking his eyes off his sire and childe.

Darla smiled. "You've been the youngest for over 100 years and now she's the baby. She's the youngest in our line and you're her sire. You've got to protect her y'know. You never sired anyone before her did you?"

"I didn't."

"So. How's it feel?"

Spike looked over at his great-grandsire, and smiled.

"Pretty good," he said.

They stood up as Buffy and Drusilla wandered over.

"We should go," Darla said after a minute. Drusilla's smile faded a bit and she looked down. Spike casually slipped his arm around Buffy again.

"We're going to paint Los Angeles red. I'd invite you two but you're white hats aren't you?"

Buffy smiled with amusement and nodded her head. Darla smiled warmly at Buffy and then turned to Spike.

"Take care of her Spike."

"Sleep well little lamb," Drusilla added.

And with that, they left.