Giles set his drink down on his desk while still holding the receiver. He was shocked to say the least. He didn’t think he’d ever see the vampire again, especially since Buffy had told him Spike dusted in the process of saving the world. He realized he was still holding the receiver, he placed it back in the cradle of the phone.

“I can’t believe it; I just can’t believe it.” “He’s alive.” “How could this be?” He pushed his chair away from his desk, and began pacing the room. Removing his glasses a few times to clean the already clean lens, he placed them back on his face.
He didn’t notice his secretary as she entered the room carrying large manila envelope.

“Who’s alive, Mr. Giles?” The petite young redhead asked.

Giles turned around. “Oh Ms. Rice. What was the question?”

“Who is alive?” She asked again.

Giles didn’t quite know how to answer her. He took a deep breath and answered the only way he could, without giving it away.

“An old friend.” He smiled at himself. He’d never really considered Spike a friend, but he’d come through for Buffy more times than Giles could remember, even when he didn’t have his soul. Though he doubted that Spike would see it that way, seeing how he handed Spike over to Robin Woods for torture. The ramifications of what he did, damaged his relationship with the woman he considered his daughter.

The young woman smiled, and said, “Mr. Giles that’s good to hear.”

“Yes, yes it is.” He sat back down at his desk. “What did you need?”

Ms. Rice held up a manila envelope, “The hospital sent Dana’s medical work up.” She handed it to Giles and He graciously accepted it.

“Thank you, Ms. Rice. That’ll be all for now.” With that the young woman left Giles’ offices, closing the door behind her.
He opened up the envelope, pulled the out contents, and began looking them over. The doctors at the psych hospital had diagnosed her a paranoid schizophrenic, but there was more to it than the doctors realized. He would make sure that she underwent more tests to verify the diagnosis and get her the treatment that she needed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was a breezy day but a beautiful nonetheless on the outskirts of Rome. The trees strategically placed all around the grounds, gave shade from the hot days.

The one story house was a cream color with brown trim sat atop of hill. Each room had French doors leading out to a veranda overlooking the ocean. The house the only one on the road; it was so peaceful.

It was what clinched the deal for Buffy and Dawn, when they purchased the house a few months back. It was a far cry from living in California, Sunnydale to be exact. Hellmouth central. Both were glad that they got to live normal lives. Although from time to time they did battle evil, but with other slayers, Buffy wasn’t needed as much, and took a much needed vacation.

Buffy enrolled Dawn into a private school in town. With Dawn’s good grades, she was able to skip a grade. She was now in what would be considered 12th grade in the United States. Neither missed being in the states; too much hurt and too much loss there. They didn’t even look back when they left. Buffy hadn’t heard from her father in months, but that was ok. She was finally able to take responsibility and take care of Dawn. Though Dawn insisted that she could take care of her self. She was after seventeen.

Still, Buffy worried as if Dawn were her own daughter. That’s what her mother, Joyce, would have wanted.
Luckily they were able to pack some memorabilia the night before they left. Giles had sent it off to England, assuring everyone that there would be something of theirs waiting. Buffy and Dawn packed pictures, knickknacks belonging to her mother, clothes, and her Mr. Gordo. Couldn’t forget those things now could they.

As Buffy lay out on her veranda, clutching Mr. Gordo, and looking through her picture album, she smiled, and she laughed, and she cried going through her memories. The last few pages had been dedicated to Spike. She loved him so, but never understood why he didn’t believe her. It didn’t matter now he was gone and there was nothing that she could do about it. She had to live for him now.

Buffy snapped the book closed looking around the garden and the ocean. She picked it because it was a place Spike would have chosen for her.

It was so pretty when the sun shined during the day. There was one spot in particular that the sun shined the brightest and its location was at the bottom of the hill.

She set her beloved stuffed animal down, and walked down the path to this place. The breeze blowing her hair, and her white dress along. It had been awhile since she had visited, but today, it felt right.