Chapter 4-

A dazed Buffy woke up a few moments later. She had forgotten why Andrew and Giles were there and didn’t know why they were hovering over her. Dawn helped her sit up and asked, “Are you ok?”

“Andrew…Giles…why are you here? Are you here about Slayer business?”

“Um no,” Giles said, pulling up a chairclose to Buffy. “We came because we had news for you about…Spike.”

It suddenly came back to her and hither hard. She held the tears back. That was something that she wanted to do alone.

“He’s…he’s alive?” She asked for verification.

“Yes, Buffy.” Andrew confirmed sitting down across from her. “I talked to him just yesterday.”

“Yesterday??” Buffy asked confused, yet the anger was building up in her. “How long has he been back?”

Giles sighed deeply. He knew that this was hard for her and it would have been better coming from Spike, but he wasn’t here, and she had to know, she needed to know, Giles reasoned with himself.

“From what I understand, from what Andrew has told me, Spike’s been back for a few months.”

“How?” Buffy asked searching for the answers, looking from Andrew to Giles and back at Dawn.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me? Why didn’tAngel even tell me? I talked to him a few times during that time. I just don’t understand why nobody bothered to tell me SPIKE WAS ALIVE!”

Dawn held onto Buffy in a reassuring hug. “I sure would like to know the answer to that question,” Dawn spoke up.

“I don’t know,” Andrew said honestly.“Maybe he didn’t know how to tell you.”

“How do you know?” Buffy asked, almost a whine. “Did he tell you this?”

Andrew shifted uncomfortably. He thought he would be able to tell her to the truth, but he could see the hurt in her eyes. The hurt that he had put there; if he’d just left well enough alone,she would have been happy. He didn’t know now, if this was such a good idea.

“Buffy, you’re just gonna have to ask him.” Andrew told her simply.

A few minutes went by and no one said aword. Buffy stood up, and made an announcement. She was still a little wobbly,but she held herself up on the railing next to her.

“I’m going to L.A.”

“What? No! Buffy you can’t.” Dawn stood up. “No you can’t, it would be too much for you; take a few days and let it sink in.”

“I have to Dawnie. I need him to know that I loved him…that I love him.”

“You’re not going without me, then,”Dawn told her sister.

“You have school.”

“I don’t care. I’m going, whether youlike it or not.”

Buffy knew it was no good to argue withher sister. Although she was certain that they’d be arguing about this until the time they left. They’d be wasting time; time she didn’t have. She turned to Giles.

“Would you get everything set up for me?”

“I could do that,” He stood up, hugging her. “I think we should go, Andrew.” He turned back towards Buffy. “I’ll call you later.”

“Thanks Giles, this means a lot to me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike was getting restless held up inhis hospital room. His hands were coming along nicely, thanks to the vampire healing, but Fred wanted him to stay there for a few days just to make sureeverything worked properly.

She even brought him books,magazines and a TV for him to watch his favorite show, Passions, but none of that was anyinterest to him.

He had to get out of that place. He couldn’t sit and do nothing. He had things to do and people to save; he could do none of that if he didn’t get up and just go.

A few minutes of debating, and hedecided to get up. He pushed the blankets away, swung his legs over to the right side of the bed, and walked over to the closet that held his things.

Spike opened up the closet, andrealized his beloved duster was not in there.

“Bloody hell!” He cursed, grabbing his pants. Pulling them on, he buttoned them on, and removed his hospital gown. Snatching his black shirt off the hanger, and easing it over his head he exclaimed

“I can’t believe I lost my bloody duster.” “Had that thing for over 20years!”

He grabbed for his socks and boots, he put them on quickly and left the room.

A little while later, Fred strolled down the hall carrying a cup of warm blood for Spike. Reaching for the door,waited for a response, hearing none she entered the room.

“Spike, I brought you some fresh blood,just how you…” She trailed off, looking up, noticing that Spike wasn’t in bed.

“Spike?”

She set the cup down, and approachedthe rest room.

“Spike are you in there?”

As she opened the door she called out to him again,

“Spike.”

Fred rolled her eyes, going back to the table where she placed the cup

“I guess I’ll give this to Angel.” Withthat she left.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Fred walked into Angel’s office,he had been sitting at the table moping. She just shook her head and continued all the way to his desk.

“I made this for Spike, but he slippedout.” She set down the cup in front of Angel.

Glancing up at her he picked it up andtook a sip he replied coldly.

“Thanks.” “I was wondering when he’d leave!”

Fred sighed and sat down in the chair across from his desk.

“I thought he’d at least stay, so Icould make sure his hands healed properly.”

“If something goes wrong, he’ll be back.” “He always comes back.” He took another sip.

“Angel, is there something bothering you?”

Taking an unneeded breath, he pushedout his chair, and began pacing back and forth. Fred waited patiently until he was ready to speak.

“Just thinking about what Buffy said.”

“Angel.”

Fred got up, stood and stopped Angel from pacing.

“We’re doing good.” “Just not the kind of good she and the slayers are doing.” “We’re making adifference.”

“You actually believe that?”

“I do!”

Angel wasn’t so sure they were doing anything that made a difference. He believed that they would be, once he took the deal, but now, after what Buffy said, he was seriously thinking about packing up and going back to the Hyperion. But then there was Connor and Cordy to think about. Conner’s world would be shattered. Cordy would die. He just couldn’t think about that now. He had to stay right where he was. For now at least he would try to make Buffy understand that what he was doing was for theright reasons.

“Angel,”

Harmony’s voice came through the intercom.

“You have a call on line one, it’s Mr.Giles.”

“Excuse me, Fred, I need to take this.”

Moving slowly back to his desk he took his seat and Fred quietly leave the room.

“Thanks Harmony.” As he pushed line one Angel tried to add a more cheerful tenor to his voice, it didn’t work. “Hello Giles!”

“This isn’t social call, Angel.”

“Did think it was.”

“What’s up?”

“Buffy.” Giles said simply withseriousness in his voice.

“What about Buffy?” Angel asked, aconcerned tone evident in his voice.

“She’s coming to L.A.”

“What?”

“How long have you know about Spike?” Giles got right to the point.

Angel took the phone away from his ear,and held it up to his chest, tightly.

“Damn it, Andrew.” He put the phone back up to his ear.

“A few months.”“How?”

“I got a package in the mail, it was the necklace he wore that night, was in it,” indicating the night Spike sacrificed himself for the greater good of the world. “Once I opened thepackage, Spike’s spirit materialized, and the necklace dropped to the floor…it wasn’t that long ago that he became corporeal.” “Even I don’t understand how it happened, not even Fred can explain it.”

“Why didn’t you tell Buffy.”

“I didn’t think she should know.”

“Angel, she has a right to know.”

“Does she know?”

“That’s why she’s coming.”

“Does Spike know?”

“No and please keep that to yourself,she wanted it to be a surprise.” “Although, I think that if Spike knew Andrew told it, he’d probably kill him.”

Giles snickered, Angel heard a “HEY” in the background and laughed himself.

“Is there anything I can do?” Angel asked, hoping he could.

“No, she doesn’t know that I’m calling you…we don’t have as good of a relationship as we used to.” “If she knew, she’d…” he trailed off, not wanting to think that far ahead. “Let’s just say it wouldn’t be good.”

“All right, I promise I won’t say anything to Spike.”

“Thanks,” Giles said, and quietly hung up the phone.

“Tell Spike what?” Spike asked, as he plopped down on the couch acrossed the room swinging his dusty boots up on the leather sofa.

Angel quickly put the phone in its cradle and tried to change the subject.

“Thought you’d be gone.”

“Yeah, well, I couldn’t very well leave during the day, now could I?“

"It would make things a whole lot simpler.” Angel said, sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

“You coulda taken one of my cars.”

“And be a pile of dust, stepping out ofthe car, dun think so.”

“The world would be a whole lot better.” Angel muttered as he turned in his chair.

“One of my men found this.” He pulled something out, walked over to Spike, and handed it to him.

“No need for Thanks!”

Spike’s eyes went wide. Angel just smiled, it made him feel good that he could help his grandchild. Spike thought he’d lost his beloved duster in all the Dana commotion.

It was almost as important as Buffy and Dawn were to him. There were a lot memories associated with it, good and bad,but he wouldn’t trade it in for a heartbeat.

Although, he did decide to stop wearing it, after he got his soul, but in the end, Buffy asked him to wear in the final battle with The First. It had been hard to put it on the first time since he had hurt Buffy, but it felt like he’d worn it the whole time. It gave him strength, when he didn’t think he had it anymore. In the end, he was finally able to accept all the bad things he’d done.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Spike said,sliding on duster, he smirked, and sat back down on the sofa as if he owned the joint. Angel was none to impressed, with the fact that Spike was there, still.

“Peaches.”

Reseating himself at the desk Angel glared at Spike, he hated being called peaches.

“Got something better to do?” Angel asked, hoping the answer would be yes.

“Nah, I think I’ll just sit here and annoy you!” Spike said, snarkily.

Angel pushed his intercom button, Harmony’s voice buzzed through.

“Yeah boss?”

“Find something for Spike to do! NOW!”

“Sure thing boss!”

Harmony clamored into Angel’s office.She walked over to Spike, her stiletto heels clicking noisily against the floor. With her hands on her placed huffily on her hips and an attitude to match, she pulled Spike up off the sofa and ordered him to “Come with me.” As she dragged him out of the office he keptmuttered something about how he could do what he wanted, when he wanted, and then the door closet shut.

“Thank you!” Angel exclaimed. He wondered what it was going to be like to see Buffy, he know she was going to be happy at all.


TBC