Chapter 3: The Smell of Fear




As William threw items into his suitcase he glanced up at Buffy who was sitting on the bed talking on the phone with her mother.

“Our flight will come into tonight at around ten thirty…are you sure you want Dawn to pick us up that late?” Buffy asked her mom and listened to the receiving end. After listening to the response Buffy rolled her eyes, “Alright…” she groaned, “So you’ll see me and William tomorrow morning since we won’t get into very late…kay…bye.”

“So everything alright?” William eyed his girl’s stressed out habitats start to present themselves. He noted how she ran her hands through her hair every five seconds and her constant nail biting.

“Why wouldn’t things be fine?” Buffy looked up at him in the middle of chewing her thumb nail.

William was about to laugh at her when she threw herself back on the bed and let out a long groan.

“Remind me why I’m going back there again?” she muttered.

“Umm…to maybe face your fears…not be afraid of your home…and hide from your family?” William listed.

She glanced up at him with a glare, “It wasn’t looking for an actual answer to the question…”

William laughed and leaned over her body, putting a hand on each side of the mattress. “What are more worried about? Your folks or your other family members?”

“Seriously I’m worried about you…” Buffy sighed and played with the collar of his blue shirt. “I don’t want them to scare you away…”

“Not going anywhere…” he reassured and kissed her forehead. He grabbed her hand with the ring on it and held it up for her to see, “See this…I don’t give these to just anybody…”

“I know!” she smiled and looked down at the ring again, “And I hope I don’t find you giving these all frilly nilly to anyone mister.” She poked him in the chest.

“Frilly Nilly?” William asked as he bit his lip.

“Don’t make fun…”

“Sorry…but I like making fun…” he said as he leaned in and kissed her neck, “I thought you did too? One of the great things we have in common.” He whispered in her ear and then attacked her earlobe.

Buffy moaned and let him ravish her neck, ears, and lips for a little while, “We need to stop…” she said weakly but William didn’t seem to hear her. “You got to pack and I got to…oh!” she let out a little yelp as she felt his hands slide down her thighs. “

“What did you say?” he whispered and then got back to kissing the other side of her neck.

“Nothing…” she said and let him make her forget all about her family and parents for a little bit. There plane left in five hours, Buffy figured they had some extra time to kill.


*********

As the two sat in the airplane and were getting ready for take off Buffy noticed William’s hands were grasping his armrest tightly and his breathing uneven.

“You afraid to fly?” Buffy asked in surprise.

“No…” he stuttered and then turned around quickly when he heard a nose. “What was that? Is that supposed to happen?”

“Honey…” Buffy instantly grabbed William’s arm and tried to settle him day, “Relax…just sit back and relax…everything that is going on is suppose to be going on and there is nothing to worry about.”

William grabbed Buffy’s hand tightly. She noted his palms were sweating and his nails were digging into her skin just a little bit. When Buffy lifted their joined hands she kissed his knuckles, “Just relax…and please loosen your grip.”

William instantly relaxed his hand and mumbled, “Sorry luv.”

“How come you never told me you hate to fly?”

“Well…I didn’t want you to think I was a bloody poofter...” William admitted, “Which now you realize…I am…”

Buffy leaned her head on his shoulder and snuggled into him with a smiled, “Awww…its okay…lots of people have this problem…you’re still a hero to me.”

“Don’t need a pity party luv…” he said as he eyed out the window and watched as the plane started to move, “What I need is miracle…”

Buffy laughed, “Don’t worry…it’s only a six hour flight.”

“Six hours too long.”

“Is this why you never want to go back to England?” she finally put two and two together.

“Well let me put it this way…we’ll be taking our honeymoon on some boat or in the tri-state area of Los Angeles…if we ever make it home.” He muttered the last part to himself.

“Flying is the safest way to travel…” Buffy reassured, “I love to fly…I’ve been on a plane probably fifty times in my lifetime…”

William gave her a strange look, “You looking to being a stewardess pet?”

She giggled, “Maybe…would like to join the mile high club?”

William looked side to side in confusion, “What’s the mile high club?”

Buffy whispered into his ear and his lips instantly formed into a smile all his dread of flying was forgotten.

“You little vixen…” he muttered.

Buffy let out a loud laugh, causing some passengers to turn and watch the couple. Once she realized she was the center of attention she had to bite her lip to keep from laughing anymore.

***************
Half way into the flight the couple had stopped their teasing and calmed down. William read a magazine as Buffy turned on her ipod and closed her eyes to relax.

Her mind drifted off to the time she first meet William. It was the third week of her freshmen year at college and she was kind of having a hard time fitting in and find a crowd she could call potential friends. Her roommate Kathy suggested that Buffy got out and became a bit social at parties. The two girls headed downtown to an apartment party hosted by a guy Kathy knew.



“How do you know this guy again?” Buffy asked Kathy as she knocked on the apartment door.

“He’s in my Biology lecture…” Kathy told with a cheery smile, “He’s a sophomore I think…totally hot.”

When the apartment door opened the two freshmen girls came face to face with a tall dark haired guy holding a cup of beers. He smirked at them and leaned on the doorframe examining them a little bit, especially Buffy.

“You girls Jamaican?” The guy asked, pulling an old cheesy pickup line.

Buffy wrinkled her nose and looked at the guy with confusion, obviously not getting why he would say that.

Kathy just giggled and smirked like an idiot, instantly knowing what he was going to say next.

The guy leaned into the confused girl’s ear and whispered, “Cause you are Jamaican cuz ja- makin- me!”

When he leaned back he let out whoop and chugged his beer down. ‘Oh that’s attractive’ Buffy thought to herself as she rolled her eyes.

“Buffy this is Angel…Angel…Buffy.” Kathy introduced.

“Well come in Buffy…and Kathy…right?” Angel asked as the three of them walked into his apartment.

“Yeah…where’s the beer?” Kathy instantly asked.

“In the kitchen…help yourself…it will give me and Buffy a chance to talk…” Angel smiled and put and around Buffy’s shoulder.

Buffy cringed in disgust as he touched her. ‘God help me.’ She thought as she turned to watch Kathy turn away from them and go towards the kitchen, ‘I got to get myself a better roommate.’ She thought to herself.

“Come on Buffy I’ll introduce you into a few fellows, my two roommates.” Angel said and led her over to the living room where a bunch of the partiers were stationed at. He grabbed her arm and dragged over to the couch were two guys were chatting up. “Hey Forrest look at what fresh meat I got!”

Two guys turned around and saw Buffy standing in front of Angel, like a prize being shown off.

“Buffy this my roomy Forrest and the bleached Billy Idol wannabe beside him is my other roommate William…” Angel pointed out.

“Hello.” Buffy greeted Forrest and looked over the boy that called himself William and saw him staring at her with sort of dreamy smile. “Hi…” she greeted him.

“Nice to meet ya…” Forrest gave a friendly smile.

“Hey pet…” William said, obviously showing that he had a British accent.

A girl in a tight top and shorts peeked her head out of the kitchen and called out, “Hey Angel Pie we are almost out of Jungle Juice in here...”

Angel smirked and stared at her breasts, “Coming Harm…” leaving Buffy with Forrest and William.

“I’ll help…” Forrest got up and left only William.

Buffy turned and watched the two gawking college boys disappear into the other room and then turned to William, who was still sitting on the couch. Both of them really didn’t know what to say to one another, the awkwardness was unbearable for both.

“You can sit down if you want…” William gestured to the empty seat that Forrest left.

“Umm…alright…” Buffy said, taking the offer and sitting right next to him on the couch.

“You want a drink?” He said after another moment of silence.

“No…no thanks…I don’t like beer…” Buffy stuttered, hoping that she didn’t sound like a loser.

“We got water…”

“I’m fine…” She gave a polite smile and then looked up at the clock, reading 12:49. ‘Wonder how long Kathy wanted to stay here.’

“You really don’t want to be here huh?” William asked when he noticed Buffy’s eyes drifted to the clock on the wall.

Buffy turned and faced William gave a guilty look, “That obvious huh?”

“Freshmen huh?” he smirked, “Not use to this party life?”

“I like to party…and talk with sober people…” she laughed at how conservative she sounded at the moment.

William laughed at her and thought to him, ‘She’s adorable…’ “Well I’m sober…” he told her, “I don’t think you’ll find anyone else here that is.”

An hour later they were still in the same position on the couch laughing and chatting away about basically anything that came to mind. It pleased William to know that Buffy was having a good time, noting that she didn’t look bored to be with him. He had to admit himself that it was nice talking with a girl about basically anything instead of getting plastered with some random drunk girl at the party.

“…believe me luv, blooming onion at Charlie’s on University Circle Avenue is the best…I’ll have to take you sometime.” He smiled, very much liking if she would consider hanging out again sometime.

“Sure…” she smiled up at him.

“Hey Bunny!” both Buffy and William looked up at Kathy swaying back and forth, obviously drunk. “I thinkkkkk…I’ll be sleeping in the forest.”

“Huh?” Buffy asked, not understanding her drunken lingo.

William’s roommate, Forrest stumbled next Kathy and rapped his arms around her, “She’ll be crazying with me.” He laughed.

“Ooookay…” Buffy said as she watched Kathy and Forrest stumble around into the next room. Buffy got up off the couch and observed the two drunken lovebirds.

“Umm maybe we should stop them…” William said to Buffy.

Buffy motioned her hand for William to come near the door into Forrest’s bedroom. When William got to the door he saw Kathy passed out on the bed and Forrest lying on the floor.

“I don’t think any sexual activity in here is going to happen.” Buffy said.

“Nope…I read somewhere you had to be a lot closer than that for something to happen.” Spike joked.

They both laughed and left Forrest’s bedroom. “It’s probably best to just let her sleep it off here…” Buffy said.

“Yeah…she’ll be alright…” William said.

“I should probably be going…it’s near…” Buffy looked at her watch and read, “Oh…wow, two thirty in the morning…”

“You live in the dorm far from here?”

“Just Levin Hall…not too far a walk…” Buffy shrugged and grabbed her purse off the couch and her coat.

“Levin is near a mile walk…and its dark…don’t think you should walking by yourself.”

“Well…ummm…”

“I’ll walk you…” William quickly said.

“Then who would walk you back here?” Buffy laughed.

“I’ll manage, let me get my coat and we’ll be out of here.” William said.

The two walked the sidewalks of the campus chatting up a storm once again.

“So you don’t think you’ll room with Kathy again?” William asked.

“A big no…she’s nice but we don’t have that much in common.” Buffy explained, “I may just live in a single if my parent’s say I can…I really don’t know anyone well enough to room with yet…”

“You been here not too long…give it time, pet…you’ll meet more people. I know a few nice people…my one friend Willow is a great gal…should introduce you two.” William said as he kicked a few pebbles on the path.

“That would be nice.” Buffy smiled as she looked over at him and suddenly was captivated by his good looking features. She noticed the long black leather coat seemed to give him a mysterious edge to his appearance.

“I love this time of night…” William sighed as he looked up at the sky, “Peaceful…”

“You more of a night person then?” Buffy asked.

“Most defiantly…you?” He looked over at her, watching her golden hair blow about when a gust came.

“Sort of…I like to stay up at night but I think morning is nice too...especially sunrise…when I woke up Friday really early for class hardly anyone was around…it was amazing…I like the quietness of nature…” Buffy shared openly and then stopped dead in her tracks when she realized she reached the outside of her dorm. “Well this is me…”

‘God how I wish this night never would end.’ William thought to himself. The bookworm in himself had though a few verses of Romeo and Juliet about departing is such sweet sorrow.

“Thank you for walking me…you didn’t have to.” Buffy thanked.

“I wanted to…so I guess I’ll see you soon maybe, since I know where you live and you know where I live.” William pointed out as he stuffed his hands in his pockets and rocked on the heels of his feet.

“Yep…uh…we live in 510…” Buffy informed, hoping that he wouldn’t forget.

“510…think I’ll remember that.” William said coolly, ‘I’ll drill it into my brain’ he thought to himself.

“Goodnight William.” Buffy smiled, “You made this evening…better.”

“Same here…” William sighed.

Neither of them moved. William eyed her soft sweet lips as did Buffy to him. However in the last minute Buffy blinked away from them and turned away from him with a little wave. William frowned as she quickly disappeared away from him.



An arm was placed on hers, jolting Buffy out her daydream. She opened her eyes and came face to face with William looking into her eyes. Buffy took out her earphones and looked around to notice airplane passengers were collecting their luggage from the overhead.

“We’re here…” William told her.

Buffy took a deep breath; her mind let those memories of her first meeting with William slip away. She remembered what was going to happen in a few short hours, she’ll be home. And only one thought came to mind, ‘Oh god…’