Chapter 4: Little Sister Where art Thou?




”This is so like her!” Buffy exclaimed as she checked her watch. It was close to midnight and there was still no sign of Buffy’s sister, Dawn.

”It’s alright luv…did you try her cell?” William asked calmly as he sat in one of the seats in baggage claim of the Pittsburgh International Airport.

The couple had gotten there bags a half hour ago and every minute that passed without the mystery sister, Buffy became more and more frantic.

“Yes, I called it five minutes ago. She probably forgot it somewhere, like always.” Buffy said and ran her hand through her hair.

”Why don’t you sit down and relax.” William reached out and grabbed her hand but Buffy instantly moved away and groaned in frustration.

’This is a side of her I’ve never seen before.’ William thought as he watched his frantic fiancée dial numbers of her cell once again. He noticed that from the second that they stepped foot in Pennsylvania Buffy had a sudden mood change. Her attitude had turned as cold as the twenty degree temperature lingering out the window.

”Mom?” Buffy talked into her cell. “Where’s Dawn? She’s not here.” Buffy listened for the response and then rolled her eyes; tears were on the verge of slipping and her completely losing it.

Buffy glanced toward William and noticed his sympathetic look he was giving her, one of understanding and deep love. And before Buffy could let her self cry and surrender to him she turned away and walked off to talk on the phone privately.

William sighed at Buffy’s gesture. ‘If this place makes her so crazy maybe this wasn’t such a good idea to come here.’ William thought, ‘But…maybe it’s good that I get to see this…if I want to spend the rest of my life with her I have to deal with the good and the bad.’ For the last few years all he had was good times with Buffy, with a few bumps in the road of little fights here and there…but nothing too dramatic. William guessed that it was now time for their relationship to go through the necessary madness and struggles to make them stronger.

“Come on.” Buffy said. William turned his head to see Buffy grabbing a carry-on that was lying on the floor. Her face still had that sharp anger look on it.

“What’s going on?” William asked, but Buffy ignored him and just grabbed the luggage pieces and started to walk away, figuring he’d follow behind.

”Just come on.” Buffy muttered without turning towards him.

William grabbed the other bag and rushed up behind Buffy, trying to keep up with her quick pace.

Once they got outside the couple was struck with the sudden cold wind hitting their bodies. Buffy looked around and saw a taxi parked on the curb; she started to walk briskly towards it.

“Luv?” William questioned with confusion as Buffy opened the cab door. “What about Dawn?”

”She’s not coming.” Buffy muttered and climbed into the cab.

‘What a way to start this little trip.’ Was all William thought of as he climbed in next to her.


*~*~*~*~*~


The drive though the countryside of Pennsylvania wasn’t too thrilling for William. For one it was dark outside and he couldn’t see a darn thing, and two…Buffy didn’t speak a word to him. Her face was glued out her window.

“So, you two having a little weekend vacation?” The cabby asked.

“Uh…” William glanced over at Buffy and noticed she wasn’t going to be answering to anyone, “We’re visiting her family.”

”Ahh…” The cabby nodded.

William glanced over at Buffy to see she still didn’t budge from her spot. “Luv please—“

”You kids in college?” the cabby interrupted.

William was starting to get annoyed. With the cab driving wanting to strike up conservation and Buffy not speaking to him he was about ready to lose his cool.

“Yes we are…we go to school in California.” William explained, hoping that would shut up the driver.

”California…wow…I would love to go out there…specially around this time of year, the winter’s here are not my cup of tea.” The cab driver continued talking.

Buffy turned and faced forward for the first time and directed the driver, “Make a right down this road.”

”You got it.” The cabby said, making a right turn.

’Well this isn’t bloody fair…she talks to the annoying smelly guy but I get the cold shoulder.’ William thought.

“You guys like football?” the cabby continued.

“Yes.” William said with a glare and watched Buffy turn away and go back to hiding her face out the window.

”Which team?”

”I don’t know…uh…The Cowboys?” William thought up quickly, not caring what team he said. “Buffy will you please…” he started to whisper but was cut off again.

”They suck! You better not mention them around all these Steelers fans. You’re in Pittsburgh…Steelers country. Even though we didn’t get into the playoffs you should turn around and cheer for the Steelers.” The cabby nodded, displaying he was a true fan of Pittsburgh. “Isn’t that right honey?” the cabby asked Buffy.

”Yeah…” Buffy muttered, “Turn left here.”

”You got it.”

William let out a little growl in frustration and tilted his head side to side, trying to let out all the tension.

“It’s the this house up here.” Buffy pointed and the cab started to slow down and pull into the Summers driveway.

”Looks like no one’s home.” The cabby said when he saw no lights on inside the house. “Well it is almost one in the morning…guess they’re asleep.”

William rolled his eyes as he paid the cab driver and jumped out of the taxi, not being able to spend another minute in there. Once outside he looked up at the big fairly new home that Buffy grew up in. In the dark he could see that house sat on a rather large piece of land with lots of trees.

“Let’s get inside.” Buffy mumbled as she rolled her carry-on up the driveway.

”Hold on.” William jumped in front of her, “I want to know what’s going on with you.”

”Look Will I’m tired…I smell like airplane, and I’m cold. Can we just not do this now?” Buffy sighed and walked around him towards the side door.

“What happened with Dawn?” he asked as he walked beside her up the driveway.

“She didn’t show up.”

”Kind of figured that after having to take a trip with friendly Joe the cab driver.” Spike scoffed.

”She got held up at with her friends…” Buffy explained as she took out her keys and started to struggle to get the door open.

”But she knew we were coming—“

”Well that’s the way it works with my family William…we forget to pick up family members at the airplane, we don’t meet and greet each other with hugs and kisses…we are like four people living in a house without really caring to feel someone else’s pain.” Buffy continued to explain as she still fumbled to get the door open. “And no one ever seems the leave the light on for there child who flew three thousand miles to show off their new fiancée to them…”

William stared at her with shock.

”Screw it!!” Buffy yelled in frustration when she couldn’t get the door open. She threw down her keys on the cement and kicked her luggage sitting on the ground.

William watched as Buffy walked away from him, trying to control her anger inside of her. He glanced down and pick of her keys and struggled to open the door, and after trying several keys he finally got the door open. And when he did looked back over to see Buffy staring at him. She had her arms crossed and was shivering slightly…she let out a few sniffles.

“Come on.” He whispered and nodded for her to come inside.

“You go…”

”Buffy I think now is not the time to be stubborn…it’s freezing out here…” William said and grabbed his bag and started to place them inside. He switched on a light inside the house and saw a simple laundry room.

“It’s just as cold in there.” Buffy nodded to inside the house.

William narrowed his eyes at her, not really understanding her meaning.

”Please…” he breathed out and saw his breath form into a small cloud that quickly disappeared.

Buffy dropped her hands in defeat and walked over to him, “You know my parents won’t let us sleep together.”

William cocked and eyebrow, “A minute ago you didn’t want to be thirty feet near me…”

She shook her head, “My sudden craziness has nothing to do with you…it’s just…”

”Let it go love…let’s just get inside.” William put his hand on her back and guided her inside.

Once they took off their winter coats and stripped off there shoes they ventured into the next room, the kitchen.

”Nice home.” William said once Buffy switched on the kitchen light. He took a look around at the decorated kitchen that seemed to be nice and homey.

”Yeah…” Buffy rolled her eyes, “It will be real nice when you find it hard to flush the damn toilet or find the smoke alarm going off whenever you heat water…this house is ready to fall to pieces.”

William just smirked and changed the subject, “So if we can’t sleep together where am I to be placed?”

“Well…” Buffy looked up at him with a wicked look, “Since I figured everyone’s asleep no one will ever have to know.”

’There’s my girl.’ William thought to himself as he saw his old naughty but still somehow innocent Buffy show herself to him again. “I love the way you think Summers.” He said and leaned in to kiss her.

However before his lips could hit hers he jumped at the sound of a voice come from the doorway. “So you must be William.”

Buffy and Spike turned around and saw a girl staring at them with an evil grin; the girl could be no older than sixteen…however her dress that she was wearing said otherwise. Her tight fitting clothes, high heels, and heavy set of makeup made her look like she could pass for Buffy’s age. William eyed the girl up and down, instantly becoming uncomfortable with the way this young girl was dressed.

“Dawn…” Buffy growled and narrowed her eyes.

“Hey sis.”