Chapter 5: You’ve Been Warned



William glanced back and forth between the two sisters that glared across the room at one another. When he looked at Dawn he got the first impression that this girl didn’t care for rules and who was the new teen bop icon, she looked more like she was about to go around the town and dominate the world with her sharp high heals and short dress. And when William looked at his fiancée all he saw was a young twenty one year old girl getting ready to play the responsible mother figure.

“You are William right?” Dawn leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed, eyeing him up and down. “Bleached blonde hair, black leather jacket…adorable cheekbones…just like Buffy described.”

William raised an eyebrow, ‘Adorable...? Whatever happened to sexy or dashing or…’ When William turned to see Buffy’s eyes flaring with anger he wanted to instantly back away from her, afraid that she might pop any moment. ‘Oh that his not a good face for you love…’ William thought while staring at her.

“What are you doing?” Buffy questioned quietly, ignoring William’s eyes boring into her.

“No need for the lecture sis…I’m not leaving. I just got back.” Dawn waved her hand without a care in the world.

“Back from where? Why didn’t you pick us up at the airport…mom said—“

”Mom forgets that she doesn’t have control over me…I wasn’t going to drive forty minutes to come and get ya.” Dawn scoffed.

”Well excuse me. I thought you would have a bit more manners to greet a guest…OR even call to tell me you weren’t coming!” Buffy raised her voice a little bit.

Dawn just shook her head at her sister. “I own you nothing Buffy…you have your own life…and I got mine. You ran away remember?”

Buffy took a deep breath, “Ran away? I went to college…I got myself a life—“

”And a pleasant bedroom boy to go with it.” Dawn rolled her eyes when she looked back at William.

Buffy had enough. She left William’s side and walked up and grabbed Dawn’s arm, yanking her into the next room.

William looked down to the ground, pretending he didn’t hear the sister hair pulling match that was going on in the next room. Words like ‘Slut’, ‘deserter’, and ‘insane’ were easily picked up by his ears. And after a few minutes he heard the sound of stomping feet rushing up a set of stairs.

Buffy returned to the kitchen where she left William with a few tears in her eyes.

“So…that’s my sister…” Buffy sighed as she used her sleeve to wipe away a few tears.

“Angry little blob of energy isn’t she?” William asked, “She’s a teenager…it’s a rough time.” He shrugged and went up behind Buffy and wrapped his big strong arms around her waist. William was happy to see that she relaxed instantly in his embrace.

“You don’t know the half of it.” Buffy mumbled as she closed her eyes.

William kissed the side of Buffy’s neck and quietly said, “It’s been a long day…you need sleep…things will be better tomorrow.”

Buffy just laughed and shook her head in disagreement, “No it won’t…Dawn will still be… Dawn tomorrow. Wait till you see her morning attitude.”

”Shh…” William said and kissed her shoulder and continued to say his words in a calm soothing tone, “Don’t worry about it.”

Buffy turned around slowly in his embrace and quickly pulled him in for a long and breathless kiss. Her hands tangled in his hair, messing it up quit a bit, as he held her waist tightly.

“Do I really have to sleep this whole week without you?” William asked instantly when they parted from their kiss.

Buffy chucked, “Worried you won’t be able to last that long?”

”I just think its ridiculous…I mean…what’s the big deal…we’re engaged and all.”

”But my family doesn’t know that.” Buffy reminded him.

“So you tell them tomorrow…”

”Umm…” Buffy stepped out of his grasp.

”Buffy?” he said in a little warning tone when he saw she was being hesitant again about their engagement.

”I may need some time.” She quickly contradicted, hoping he would understand.

”Time?” He paused for a moment, “How much time?”

”William please…this is big. Huge…macrohuge…I mean they don’t even know you.” Buffy pointed out.

”So you want me to bond? As you would say ‘get big with the bondage thing’?” he raised an eyebrow with a smirk.

“Well…just…just play nice and I guess try not to jump to conclusions on issues that may be brought up…and—“

”Luv, I know how to talk like a normal person and have a conservation. I was raised pretty well and I have manners. I know how to play nice with mum’s and da’s…and even little sis’s.”

”Ya but that was before you arrived here…maybe I should give you a quick summary of what to expect.” Buffy nodded, thinking it may be a good idea to give her love some warning on what may pop out of corners.

”No don’t. You worry too much. I can handle whatever comes my way.” He smiled.

”Alright.” She sang, “But you’ve been warned.” She stuck out her finger and pointed it at him.

*~*~*~*~*~

”So this is my room?” William asked as he looked around the guest bedroom.

“Sorry, our ocean and garden view rooms are occupied at the time.” Buffy joked as she walked into the room and opened the curtains of the windows and looked outside, “But you do have nice view of the barn.”

William froze with wide eyes, “Barn?”

Buffy shrugged, “What?”

”You have a barn?”

Buffy shrugged again and thought it was no big deal, “What? There are farms in Pennsylvania…and this is sort of a rural area.”

”So what?” Spike smirked, “When you were a little girl you went out to milk the cows and feed the pigs?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and went up and playfully shoved him in the chest. “Nooo…my parents are not farmers…this house was an old farm house and we only use the barn to store things…okay?”

”Alright, alright” he said with a smile as he lifted his bags and placed them on the bed.

”So there is extra blankets and pillows in the closet and the bathroom is right across from this room.” Buffy went over everything he would need to know to be comfortable. “We all mostly get up at eight but if you don’t have to if you don’t want to…” Buffy nodded and the paused, thinking if there was anything else she left out. “Anything else you want to know?”

”Where’s your room?”

”Down the hall…” Buffy innocently smiled and grabbed one of his pillows and started to fluff it up.

William smirked, “And do I need a special password or something to get into that room or is it off limits?”

”I know you think this whole sleeping apart thing is stupid and I agree…but my mom—“

”Luv its fine.” He reassured her.

Buffy raised an eyebrow, “Really?”

”What do you want me to say? That I hate it? And that my body will be all lonely and cold without you beside me and I will not be able to sleep a wink at night this entire week knowing that you’re only a few feet away from me? Do you get stratification in knowing that?” He asked in one big breath.

”Yes…” she smiled.

“You know if it wasn’t for your family being sound asleep at this very moment I’d pounce on you.” He muttered as he bit his bottom lip.

“Sounds kinky…but your right…we have to be on our best behavior...” Buffy nodded, not really agreeing with the idea.

The two let the thought of ‘no sex’ rattle around in their brains for a few moments before Spike asked, “So we have to be on our best behavior in the house…but does that mean the barn is off limits?”

Buffy’s only response was holding her hand over her mouth to keep from laughing hysterically.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a restless night without having Buffy beside him, William was happy to greet a new morning. As soon as he waked up he was happy to take a shower and get all the airplane smell off his body. While he styled his hair in the bathroom mirror he heard the sound of knocking coming from outside. When William unlocked the door he came face to face with Dawn once again.

“You know other people need to get ready too in this house.” She said as she leaned against the frame of the door in her pajamas, a tank top and sweat pants.

‘Now this looks like an average teenager.’ William said as he noticed Dawn’s attire.

“What are you staring at?” Dawn snapped.

“Nothing, nothing.” He mumbled, holding his hands up in surrender. ‘God this girl is nothing like Buffy’ he thought to himself, even though he noticed that they sort of had the same facial features. However, character wise—he would have to say the two sisters were from different planets.

“Well then would you like make like a tree?” Dawn said as she maneuvered around William as he exited and she tried to enter the bathroom. When he turned around to ask her a question he got a door slammed in his face.

“Will?” the call of Buffy’s voice made William forget about the fowl moody girl for the moment; when he turned down the hall he saw Buffy dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt exit her room.

He traveled down to her and gave her a short kiss, “Hey.”

“You sleep okay?” she asked as they traveled down the stairs.

“Just fine.” He said, not bothering that admit to her that it was actually hard to fall asleep without her beside him. “You?”

”Got to admit it was a little weird…sleeping in my old bed and all…however, I think my room needs some work done on it…my old Backstreet Boys posters I think are a bit disturbing now.”

”Backstreet Boys huh?”

“Ya…its embarrassing.” She said as they reached the bottom of the stairs and headed into the kitchen. “But it was a phase…you know like giga pets, pogs, beanie babies…Polly pocket…”

”What is a Giga Pet?” William asked.

”I’ll show you later…because I still have it surprisingly…literally my room is just full of old junk that I need to throw away.” Buffy admitted.

“Well I’ll be happy to help you relive those childhood memories…and then throw them away in the trash.”

They both let out a laugh but it was short-lived when they noticed the entrance of a middle aged woman.

”Buffy?” she quietly spoke.

”Hey mom.” Buffy answered just as quietly as her mother.

William glanced back and forth between mother and daughter, wondering if there was going hug or whatnot. It seemed to surprise him that all the two Summers ladies did was just keep a distance from one another.

“So you must be William.” Mrs. Summers turned to face William with a polite smile, but also eyeing his bleached hair suspiciously.

‘Okay so she is one of those mothers…’ William concluded when he caught the little glance of disapproval on Buffy’s mothers face. However, he just ignored it and greeted Mrs. Summer’s with happy “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here…” she smiled, “Well…umm…” she laughed nervously, “I really don’t know what to say…”

”Mom did you call dad and tell him I’m home?” Buffy changed the subject.

The mention of Mr. Summers made Buffy’s mother suddenly turn into something a bit different. There was a little gleam in her eye that William couldn’t make out.

“I left a message.” Mrs. Summers muttered and started to off to work in the kitchen, unloading the dishwasher.

“Well I’ll call him…” Buffy said.

“Better not use the house phone you know how he—“

”I know.” Buffy cut off her mother before she was able to finish the sentence.

“I’m just saying that he—“

”Mom please…” Buffy begged with desperation.

For William it was like he was watching a mystery film…not really understanding the scene before him.

“Well if you don’t want to hear then I’ll go to the store.” Mrs. Summers said and grabbed her purse and left the room.

Buffy cringed and bit her lip as she heard the garage start to open, telling her that her mother was in fact leaving the house.

William stood silently, eyeing Buffy from the corner of his eye. ‘Was this what she didn’t want me to see? The marital problems of her parents?’

“Sorry…” Buffy muttered, “She’s…she drives me absolutely crazy.”

William was taken back from the comment, not expecting those words to come out about the nice lady he just met. I mean sure…the woman was not thrill about his hair, but so was his own parents when decided to change his style.

“Now come on luv your mum isn’t so—“

”No!” Buffy sternly said as she turned to him, “She drives me crazy…” Buffy bit her lip once again, seeming like she was holding back a bit. “She…did drive me crazy.”

”Luv—“

”No William…literally…the thing is...when I was in high school I had a nervous breakdown…”

William tilts his head as he began to stare at her in dismay, not believing that those words came out of her mouth.