Chapter 2: His New Year’s Baby





Buffy and William didn’t care that they missed out on all the partying festivities that continued into the night. When they reached Buffy’s apartment they instantly went into the bedroom, intending on having their own little celebration.

The next morning the couple laid in each others arms, Buffy used William’s shoulder as a pillow as his arm wrapped securely around her and his head buried in the smell of her strawberry scented hair.

The phone started to ring and Buffy groaned at the loud sound disrupting their peace. She popped an eye open and saw William still sleeping, ‘Sleeps like the dead’ she thought to herself as she shifted out of his arms. She reached for the phone and muttered a groggy “Hello?”

“Buffy?!” Willow asked on the other end of the phone in a very excited mood.

“Willow…it’s…” Buffy checked the nightstand clock and read, “Eight in the morning…aren’t you tired?” She thought to herself, ‘Cause I sure as hell am myself after last night.’

“No…I’m too excited…did he do it?!” Willow exclaimed and crossed her fingers that he did and that she said yes.

“Huh?”

“William did he umm…” Willow stopped when she realized she shouldn’t jump to conclusion and ruin everything if he didn’t propose. “Umm…did he say anything to you last night?”

Buffy looked over across the bed and saw William fully awake and smiling in sort of dreamlike at her. She held her hand of over the phone so Willow could hear, “Did you tell Willow that you were going to propose?” she asked him in a whisper.

“Well…uh…” He looked guilty and wasn’t sure how to answer, that is he didn’t want to get her mad if he said ‘yes’.

“You did didn’t you?”

“Uh…yeah.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and took her hand off the phone and started to talk to Willow again, “Yes...something happened…” she sighed.

“Oh?!” Willow squealed.

“Yeah…he asked me to marry him.” Buffy said and got up to grab her robe and started to put it on as she fumbled to keep the phone on her ear.

“And what did you say?”

“’What did I say?’” Buffy raised an eyebrow and looked at William who was smirking head to toe in pride, “I said I would…think about it…” That caused William to instantly frown and wrinkle his nose in confusion.

Buffy smiled an evil smirk as he narrowed his eyes at her.

“Well what’s to think about Buffy? I thought you love him…and you guys been together for nearly three and half years and all…” Willow said with confusion.

“Oh I love the bleached boy…I just like to make him sweat….” She said as she eyed the slowly advancing William coming at her with a smirk on his face as he listened to her playful words with her best friend.

“Buffy! That’s so cruel…” Willow exclaimed.

“Relax Willow…I’m just joking…” Buffy reassured her distressed friend; “I said yes…in fact he’s with me right now…” she smiled.

When William finally reached her he grabbed the phone and told Willow, “Hey Red…Buffy will call you later…” and turned off the phone and sat it on the nightstand.

“What are you going to do? You know I was only playing…” Buffy giggled as he placed as his hands around her hips.

“Playing with my heart?” He asked as he looked up at her with those mesmerizing blue orb eyes and gave her a puppy dog look.

Buffy leaned in and kissed him, “Does that help?”

“Just a bit…”


After Willow’s call, Buffy and William got back into bed and stayed their till noon. Once they took a shower and got dressed they decided to venture off downtown to get some lunch.

They sat in a small favorite café that all college students went to to have coffee, when William looked up at Buffy and asked, “You going to call your parents and tell them?”

Buffy’s stirring spoon for her coffee slipped out of her hand and fell onto the floor, a little shocked at his question. She went to retrieve the spoon to avoid William’s eyes.

Once she picked it up she quickly answered, “No…I’ll call them later.”

“What’s the matter?” William could tell the sudden change in mood from her instantly.

She darted her eyes up at him as she grasped the side of her coffee cup, “Nothing…”

William wasn’t entirely convinced but he decided to let the issue rest. Soon enough Buffy would come to him if there was a problem. So to lighten to mood he decided to change to subject completely, “So what do you want to do with the rest of vacation break? Be like couch potatoes in your or my apartment?” He looked up at Buffy when he saw she was sort of transfixed to staring into space out the window, “Luv?”

“Huh?” she asked, clearly not hearing a word he said.

“You sure you’re alright?” William asked with concern, trying to pinpoint what caused her to act so distant with him.

“I’m fine…I got to go to the bathroom.” Buffy quickly said and slid out of the booth and went directly to the ladies room.

William raised an eyebrow and followed his eyes as she disappeared around the corner towards the ladies room. ‘What the hell…?’ he thought to himself.

In the ladies room there was no other women occupying the other stalls when Buffy entered. She went directly to first stall and locked it; she put her hands on either side of the seat of the toilet and leaned over….she felt like she was going to throw up.

“Why did he have to say that?” she muttered to herself, ‘Why did he have to mention…them…’ she thought to herself. Tears were threatening to spill down her face at the thought of her home. ‘I can’t stop it…I have to tell them…whether its tomorrow or the next day or the day after that they’re going to find out…and what will William think?’

William had never met Buffy’s parents or family before. Her folks lived almost three thousand miles away in Pennsylvania while she was there in California and that was the way she liked it. Her college life was hers…her new fiancée was hers…everything she did or experience in California was hers and she was happy that her mother and father didn’t interfere.

‘But sooner or later I’m going to have to face the music…’ Buffy thought as she unlocked the stall and looked into the mirror. She knew if William wanted to be apart of her life he’ll have to face her demons of her home life sooner or later. The wedding vows ‘for better or worse’ came across Buffy’s mind and she almost had to laugh. She glanced at the bathroom door, knowing he was waiting out there…’Well William…you’re about to experience the worst…’

Buffy took a few breaths and marched out the restroom and over to William who was glancing down at the menu, waiting for her. When she slipped into the booth and looked up at William’s waiting eyes.

“You alright?” he instantly asked and reached out to put a comforting hand on hers.

“I know what I want to do with the rest of break…” Buffy blurted out.

‘Guess she was listening a little bit to me when I asked.’ William thought to himself.

“I want you to come home with me…” Buffy said confidently.

“Home? Your home?” He tilted his head to the side and raised an eyebrow

‘Knew he would tilt his head at that.’ Buffy thought, admitting that she knew him like a book.

“Yes…I met your parents and visited with them dozens of times…and I think its time for you to meet mine.” Buffy started and rubbed William’s hand that was still on hers. “And well, I have to admit…I’ve been sort of hiding my parents from you.”

“I’ve noticed.” William said, “What I don’t understand is…why?”

“Fear…” she shrugged and didn’t feel so confident with what she was telling him anymore. “William…when I came to California to go to college I changed a lot…a whole lot…”

“Everyone changes when they come to college luv…remember the story that my da’ told you about bookworm William with glasses? Well he wasn’t lying.” William admitted and kind of looked embarrassed at the moment.

“You still are a bookworm...” she laughed, “And glasses...?” she pondered the idea, “I think they would be sexy.”

“Really?” he laughed and blushed. “Maybe I should wear them again especially for you.”

She shook her head with a smile, “Back to my home life…it’s not that simple…”

“Pet everyone has demons in the closet…”

She raised an eyebrow at that comment, “What demons do you have?”

“Once we’re married you’ll just have to find out…” he teased.

“I know you have leaving-dirty-towels-on-the-floor syndrome…your mother told me what a pig you are….she kind of forewarned me about that.” Buffy told him, “Besides you stay at my place all the time…its not like I know how you live.”

William sighed, “Yeah…I’m a pig.”

“William…” she whispered, the tone in her voice caught him off guard. It sounded like she was shy and uncertain as she looked down at there hands together. “I’m afraid of what you’ll think of me…”

There was a moment of silence and William let go of her hand. Buffy frowned and didn’t bother to look up at him. However she was surprised to find in a few seconds he was right beside her in the booth with his strong arms around her.

“Look at me…” he whispered and tried to raise her chin, which she eventually did. “You have nothing to fear…I am not going to think less of you from how your family behaves or acts…I love you…nothing is going to make me think otherwise.”

Buffy gave him a small smile and she rested her head on his shoulder. “I hope your right.” She mumbled.







TBC...