Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks to Kelly my wonderful Beta and those who review :-D
Lifting an eyebrow with scrutinizing eyes Faith readjusted the angle of a bottle sitting on the shelf in front of her for what must have been the 10 time today. Sighing she made her way through the shelves and towards the register. It was her first day working at the Magic Box and she was glad Buffy had steered her towards this rather than the Double Meat Palace.


Buffy had insisted that she herself get a job but in her current situation Faith knew that wasn’t happening anytime soon. Having a job was nerve racking. Faith was glad at least that she was working with Anya. Anya was a very strange person indeed, but it leads to interesting conversation.


Faith was brought out of her thoughts by the bell chiming above the door.


"Welcome to the Magic Box may I help you?" Faith smiled brightly watching her next potent ional customer walk through the door.


"Faith!” Faith’s smile dropped at hearing the voice. “Where have you and Buffy been?” Dawn walked down the stairs coming to stand in front of her sister. Faith who had her arms folded and a cold look on her face. “Every time I asked mom where you guy’s went…..” Dawn stopped briefly watching Faith snort and rolls her eyes. “She-she wouldn’t tell me!"


"Look Dawnie!” Faith growled out. “Either go home” Faith pointed to the door. “Or buy something” She dropped her hand. Dawn opened her mouth to reply but Faith cut her of. “I will never EVER forgive you for telling mom and dad about Buffy's baby!" Faith practically shouted. Dawn looked down and nodded before turning and slowly making her way out of the Magic Box. Before shutting the door she looked at her sister once more, deciding that now wasn’t the time to apologize.


"Who was that?” Anya asked carrying a box out of the store room and placing it on the bench top. She gave Faith a quizzical look. “Why didn't they give you any money?" Anya frowned. “Your supposed to make them buy things, not yell at them to get out” She sighed. Faith just shrugged and made her way over to a nearby shelf to readjust more objects.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy closed her eyes as she ran a shaky hand above the object, the door to the cupboard was only half open and she ghosted it‘s outline. She sighed and looked down at the shiny surface. With a hesitant hand she plucked a few strings. At hearing the twang of each note she pulled her hand back as if she had been burnt.


Looking at the guitar a lone tear slipped down her cheek. Spike had bought it for her. It was the same exact guitar that she had played all those months ago at the store. She closed the door to the cupboard and backed away to the bed, taking a seat waiting for Spike to finish his shower. Lying down on the bed she listened to the pitter patter of the shower she let her thoughts wonder back to the days when things were simple.


*Flashback*


"Spike!” Buffy laughed. “Come on lets go in this store!" Tugging excitedly on Spike’s arm. Looking in the window her eyes brightened, the instruments were calling to her. Her mouth fell open as she made her way through the store to the back. A black and red guitar was in the corner.


"Why don't you play something for me pet?" Spike asked handing the guitar over to Buffy.


"Oh, I don’t know” Buffy said smiling softly. “I guess I can play you something" Buffy smiled brightly. She knew Spike knew she could play. Play really well at that. Closing her eyes she let the room fade away so that only she and the guitar existed.


"Wow!” Spike smiled watching Buffy blush as she opened her eyes. “You really know how to play kitten!" Spike enjoying seeing her happy he loved watching her play.


"Thanks” Buffy laughed placing the guitar back in it’s holder. “I wish mine played as well as this.” She looked longingly at the black and red guitar before her. “The one Faith bought me is old but I love it all the same!" Buffy said smiling. Spike clasped his hand in hers as they made their way out of the store.


*Fast Forward to a few days after Buffy's parents force Spike to move*


Buffy didn’t know how long she’d been crying but it felt like days. She was sitting on her bed tears still flowing freely down her face as she strummed on her guitar. Dawn burst through the door.


"This song is really starting to annoy me!" Dawn said folding her arms across her chest.


"Yeah well you’re annoying me!" Buffy said crying. “Just get out Dawn” She whispered.


"Dawn honey” Hank walked up the stairs and came to stop in Buffy’s room doorway. “Is Buffy bothering you with her music my princess?" Hank glared at Buffy’s crying form.

“Yes!” Dawn smiled watching her father.


"Well you don't have to worry about it anymore.” He walked over to where Buffy was sitting. “Give me the guitar Buffy!" Hank ground out grabbing the neck of the guitar.


"NO!” Buffy screamed tightening her hold on the guitar. “Faith gave it to me! Please don't take it away!" Buffy cried out. Hank pulled roughly and ripped the guitar out of her grasp. Smiling evilly he brought the guitar into the air and smashed it down to the ground.


Dawn watched on in horror as Hank through the guitar to the ground one last time. She watched Buffy’s body shake with the force of her tears. She had expected Buffy to get in trouble, she always did. But she hadn’t expected her father to break her most prized possession. It was the first time that she realized how truly cruel her parents were.


Buffy brought her hands to her face as she curled her body up feeling everything fall to pieces around her.


*End Flashback*


Tears filled her eyes as she stifled yawn. Curling her hands to her chest Buffy closed her eyes. After that day she had vowed never to play again and seeing the guitar in Spike’s cupboard had brought back so many memories. Letting a tear slip down her cheek she fell into a deep dreamless sleep.