Author's Chapter Notes:
There is some Spike interaction with other woman! Just a warning but if you read Fall of The Night you'll know I sort it in the end!! I'm just mean!!! Newly beta'd by the brilliant Carol! You're a total star! :)
PROLOGUE - London Calling

London King’s Cross Station 11pm

Drusilla walked slowly along the station carrying her favourite dolly, Miss Edith - her only dolly - she remembered with a scowl that marred her beautiful features. She’d lost most of her dollies over the years, the remaining few as she fled LA after Darla had been dusted just before her Angelus and Spike were killed by Wolfram & Hart’s army of demons.

“Silly boys!” she thought to herself. The pixies in her head had told her they would . She’d tried to warn them but couldn’t get to them in time. “Silly pixies leaving it too late.”

After roaming around the east coast of America for a long time, the decision to come to London had been purely on a whim, or so she thought at the time. It was the place of both of her births, that as a baby and that as a vampire.

“Naughty Daddy.” she thought as she recalled how truly evil Angelus had been then. She walked along the platform and out of the station.

She paused, looking up and down the street, wondering which way to go. She needed to find somewhere to stay. It was the first time in decades that she’d been alone and she didn’t much care for it.

The last time she’d been in London was the year she’d sired William – 1880. She remembered it clearly. He’d pushed past her as she’d been walking with Angelus and Darla. The emotions he’d emitted had attracted her instantly - such poetry, such pain. She’d left the others and followed him into an alley.

She’d mesmerised him by knowing his thoughts, his words, and his pain - the pixies for once getting their timing right. He’d been the first she’d sired and the best. Yes, Sweet William had turned out quite well. Well, that is until he fell in love with The Slayer. That had been the end of him, and he’d gotten even worse when he’d got his soul returned. He and Angelus stopped being any fun at all.

She walked along, looking around her as she did. Lots of people were still walking about despite the late hour. She noticed one in particular, a rather portly man, wearing an ill fitting brown suit. He was about fifty years old and was walking briskly. She decided to follow him. He hurried along until he came to a shop on the corner of two roads, a door to the flat above it just to one side. He reached into his pocket and started to put the key in the lock.

“Hello”

The man started and turned around at the voice that whispered in his ear. He hadn’t noticed any one nearby. His astonishment increased as he took in the striking figure before him.

“The night is young. A shame to be going home so early. Miss Edith wants to play,” said Drusilla, smiling at him dreamily.

“What? What do you mean?” stuttered the man.

“Hurrying home to your little wifey up there? You should be playing with us.” Drusilla looked deep into the man’s eyes.

“I don’t have a wife,” he answered, wondering why he was still standing there rather than going into his flat.

“No one waiting for you? The pixies won’t like it if you have.”

“What?” He started to feel alarmed. “No, there’s no one.” He was still baffled as to why he was answering her questions rather than getting into the flat and locking this strange woman out.

“Ooh goody!” Drusilla clapped her hands, “Time to play.”

She brought out her vampire features, laughing as the man cried out in alarm. She grabbed him, hand over his mouth, and pulled his neck towards her. With a feral growl she sank her teeth in and drank hungrily. She let the body fall to the floor and wiped her mouth daintily, then opened the door and dragged the man inside.

Ooooooooooo

Drusilla stayed in the flat for several days until the stench of the body started to attract unwanted attention from the people who ran the shop below. She’d used her time wisely and had sought out other vampires to get a lay of the land, this London being so very different from the one she’d known. Many of the buildings she remembered were gone.

She left the flat for the last time and headed over to meet with the vampire she’d met the night before. He’d said he knew of a great house to set up a nest in, obviously hoping he’d be nesting with her. She wasn’t so sure about that just yet but had flirted with him shamelessly to keep his interest, wanting to see what he had to offer before she decided whether he’d be staying with her or not.

As she stood at the prearranged spot on the edge of one of London’s small leafy parks he stepped into view. He was tall, dark haired, slim, probably about thirty when he’d been turned. His eyes were such dark brown they were almost black. He was dressed impeccably in a smart suit and tie, hair neatly brushed.

“Drusilla,” he said. He took her hand and brought it to his lips and kissed it. “You look ravishing, so glad you came.”

“I said I would,” said Drusilla, “I don’t lie…..often,” she replied, smiling seductively at him, well aware of her powers in charming men.

“I thought we could go to the theatre,” said the vampire.

“Miss Edith will like that,” she replied.

He suddenly noticed the doll held in the crook of her arm.

“Perhaps Miss Edith would like to see the house first?” he said.

He’d worked hard over the past year or so to blend in seamlessly with the London theatre scene. Eighty years ago he’d been an aspiring actor before he found more than a couple of fans waiting at the stage door. He was pleased that his plan included going to the theatre, he’d missed it, but going with Drusilla clutching a doll would bring unwanted attention and he couldn’t jeopardise it.

“But you just said we could go!” whined Drusilla, starting to get agitated, her head weaving lightly from side to side as she made a strange little humming noise.

“Shh,” soothed the vampire, “We’ve got lots of time. Let’s see what Miss Edith thinks of her new home. Can’t have her worrying about it all the way through the play, can we?”

With that Dru calmed down and agreed to go to the house.

It was just a short walk away. She looked around it in awe - it was beautiful. It reminded her of the houses she’d frequented with Angelus and Darla when they'd picked off wealthy couples and used their homes as their own for a time.

“Ooh! Johnny! It’s lovely.” Drusilla started to dance around the hallway.

Laughing, Johnny joined in, taking her hands, spinning her round, and kissing her.

“Mm,” thought Dru, “Johnny would do quite well.”

“Drusilla, are you ready for the theatre now? Can Miss Edith keep an eye on the place for us?”

“Oh yes! Miss Edith wants to stay here. She wants to see the bedroom.” Dru squealed in delight and ran upstairs, Johnny taking the steps two at time to keep up with her.

The master bedroom was furnished lavishly, the furniture all antique and the fabrics heavy brocades or fine silks. The huge four poster bed in the centre dominated the room. Drusilla sat on the bed.

“Look! I’m a princess!” she said.

“You are indeed!” replied Johnny. He sat on the bed beside her and soon all thoughts of the theatre were forgotten as they tore each other's clothes off and made love with a ferocity and intensity that only vampires can achieve.

Later, as they were lying in each other’s arms, Dru fast asleep, Johnny was smiling to himself. It wasn’t a pleasant smile - a smirk would be a more accurate description.

to be continued...