Author's Chapter Notes:
First fic, so be nice, please? Although, I'm not going to beat you with a frying pan if you're not =] I've made William cheeky, because to be honest cheeky William, to me would be cuter than stuffy William, and his mother, Anne is frivalous and boisterous.
Mostly because I don't believe such a cheeky kid could be related to a gentle mother.
Chapter One.

Elizabeth stepped off the slippery wet ramp leading down from the large ship that had been the bane of her existence for the last few weeks. Sighing, she smoothed her coat out over her dress, bent down to rub some shine in her boots, stood up straight again and surveyed her surroundings.

London was the last place she wanted to stay in, but since the death of her parents, that she hardly saw anyway, she knew she probably wouldn't see Ireland again for as long as she lived. Elizabeth straightened her beret and waited as the man with the list called out the names of the orphans that needed to be retrieved. She had enough time to bide, she was basically in the middle of the list. She could have positively died if her name was at the bottom of the list. She never enjoyed waiting for
anyone or anything. Being rich granted her the access to whatever she wanted, when she wanted.

Looking around her once more, she noted that London was rather drab and lacking in colour. At least her large home had been a brilliant white and extensively decorated throughout. She was very vexed at the fact that
she couldn't stay in Ireland, but no one had the time for her and she couldn't access her own money until she turned twenty-one or entered wed lock.

She began to wander through the docks, taking her sweet time, dragging her large trunk behind her on a small, rugged trolley. She adjusted the bright red bow on her coat and started to fidget with the buttons. Now she was getting annoyed. She really hated waiting. She was thankful, however when the podgy, shiny faced man called out her name and a nervous looking man, adorned in a pin-stripe suit, oiled back hair and glasses rushed up to her, holding out his hand for the trunk. "I shall be taking Elizabeth with me, thank you very much. Yes, yes I am her second cousin. No I do not have any papers with me, I was in a hurry. Oh what do you care anyway? You probably couldn't care less what happens to any of these children when they leave, as long as they leave. Yes, good day to you sir."

Elizabeth looked at the man with a bewildered expression on her face. This man could certainly talk his hind leg off a mule, as she had heard John, the stable boy say one day. The man scurried off, the trunk in tow and Elizabeth not far behind. It hadn't been three minutes until he started talking again.

"Now, my name is Wesley. You will remember this, it's rude when people don't,"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at this. It was common sense to remember names. You'd have to be a simple peasant to just forget.

"I understand your name is Elizabeth and you are fifteen, correct? You're very small for your age. You look almost twelve,"

ALMOST twelve? Elizabeth seethed with anger. Oh, so it was completely uncouth for one to forget someone's name, but all together it doesn't matter what
you say about a person? This man certainly had some strange upbringings.

"You will be living with me for however long it takes for you to get married, or until you turn twenty-one. You will then receive some of your inheritance to become an old maid if you really feel you must. I am not rich, I work at a local library for a man named Rupert Giles. You will be meeting him tonight, a dinner will be held in the honor of your arrival," he paused to load the trunk onto the carriage for a great deal of time. He certainly wasn't very strong, noted Elizabeth. Before she had time to fully process her thoughts, he started up again.

"You will have a maid, that much I can grant you, and your own room in the house. Your maid's name is Ruth. You will start school tomorrow, I can't have a child around the house with nothing to do. It is simply not a house made for young women. That's about all I have to say. I am in an awful rush and.. Goodness, Elizabeth, get into the carriage. I know this is a lot to take in but you simply must hurry. I'm not this rude, usually, I assure you, it's just been rough lately. Driver, go."

Well, how.. eventful thought Elizabeth as the movement of the carriage slowly rocked her to sleep.

Chapter Two.

After an evening of Wesley and Rupert chortling away at jokes that only the two of them could understand, a boy about her age named William with a mischievious twinkle in his eyes started following Elizabeth throughout the house.

Elizabeth wasn't usually one to confront someone on a matter, but this boy was beginning to try her very last nerves.
Whirling around, to meet his face, Elizabeth straightened her hair and said, "What do you want?" 'Well, not exactly my best words I have come up with', she thought to herself.

William didn't answer, he simply cocked his head to the side and grinned. Elizabeth placed her hands on her hips and glared. So this boy wanted to challenge her?
He could grin and she could glare. Neither of them would prevail at this game.
William was just about as stubborn as Elizabeth, and he knew deep down that this girl was just like a boy. He knew that he could get her to crack, and join in on the fun. He also thought she was rather handsome. He wouldn't admit that, though.
Not even on his deathbed would he mention the likes of the girl in front of him. It would ruin his reputation.

"William Edward Giles, darling, come here!" shrieked a feminine voice.

William groaned inwardly. His mother, Anne Giles a very lavish woman was always one to spoil his fun. She coddled him too much, made him into a prized china doll of hers, she didn't really love him anyway. He was just another thing for her shelf.

Anne was a small, plump little thing with rosy cheeks and long hair that curled around the ends. She wore large, frivalous dresses no matter what the occasion and spent
from the moment she woke up until noon preparing herself for the day. William was always embarrassed to be in her presence. She was like a pony putting herself on display. She almost reminded him of the mother in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Although, he would never admit he had read such a book.

He did love her, though. Of course he did, she wasn't mean to him even if she did scold him.

Of course, he wouldn't admit this even if someone made him reveal all of his secrets in exchange for saving someone's life.


"WILLIAM!" her voice had risen about five octaves and the sound of skirts could be heard coming down the hall.
William sighed and bowed at Elizabeth, who was watching the boy's inner turmoil with amusement.

"Till we meet again, fair lady." and with that William
Giles grinned and bounced lightly away, hiding from his mother with amazing grace.

"Oh, it's you." Anne said with a slight air of disdain. She reached for her fan and fluttered it lightly over each of her cheeks. Clicking her tongue, she rearranged her hair and looked Elizabeth up and down.

"Where is my William? I have a new hat for him that he simply MUST try on. It is absolutely DEVINE. Oh, but
I don't suppose you have seen him though, have you? He seems to be ever so wonderful at hiding. If he spent nearly as much studying as he did avoiding conflict but getting into it all the same, he would be the most intelligent boy I have ever had the pleasure of knowing." said Mrs Giles, rather proudly that she could produce such a child.

Elizabeth just stared dumbly at the woman. She was a peacock, that was for sure.

"Oh, are you a mute? Deary me, that is most unfortunate. What will the children say? Au revoir, darling!" and on that note, she scurried off with much less grace than her son.

Elizabeth turned around to watch Anne waddle away, mouth agape.
"Londoners are awful queer," Elizabeth said quietly off into the emptiness as she usually did when she was getting her usual thoughts. "I do believe I will never be bored while I am living here."