Chapter 1 – Joyce and Rupert

AU – Will be Spuffy eventually! We have to work through some back-story first.
These characters do not belong to me – they are the property of Mutant Enemy and Joss!

Summer, 1981

Joyce Summers was enjoying her time at Oxford. It was good to get away from Berkley, and her father Hank. She was studying art and forgetting about all her troubles in America. Ever since her mother died when she was 14, her relationship with her father, Hank Summers had severely deteriorated to the point she could barely stand to be in the same room with him. She supposed she should feel fortunate that despite their issues, he was still paying her tuition. But she also supposed it was easier to send her to England than to deal with her back in the states. She missed her boyfriend Ted, but deep down she knew she only dated Ted because her father hated him. Ted was the son of Holland Manners, a partner at a rival law firm of her fathers. Her father wanted her to become a lawyer, but she was never interested in the law. Her true love was art. She didn’t have much artistic talent herself, but she has a good eye for art, and loved to study Art History. She spent hours wondering around the galleries of London and Paris. She hoped one day to work in a museum, or run a gallery.

Joyce had been at Oxford for 2 months when she met Rupert Giles. He was a graduate student studying Ancient History. They met at a showing of ancient African artifacts.

“The Americans are simply ruining the chance for any British museums to acquire artifacts.” Rupert Giles said to his friend, Ethan Rayne.

“Oh, I agree. These days, if it’s not shown in America, it’s of no importance at all.” Ethan replied.

Joyce was standing slightly behind them, appalled at what she was hearing.

“Excuse me, but I couldn’t help but hear what you were saying. That is simply not true! The U.S. may have acquired many of the artifacts recently found, but look how many historic treasures and works of arts are held but museums and London and Paris! You don’t seem to feel bad about the inequity in that!” Joyce huffed.

“An American, I see” Ethan snorted.

“Yes, I am an American”

“Well little girl, maybe you should do some more research on your countries means and methods of gathering artifacts before you speak so quickly.” Ethan stated condescendingly.

The whole time Rupert Giles had been standing there staring at the beautiful suntanned angel that was busing telling his friend off. But as he heard Ethan insult her, he stepped in.

“I’m sorry, Miss….?”

“Summers. Joyce Summers.”

“Lord Rupert Giles the III. Please ignore my friend Ethan here. He can be so uncouth at times. So you have a great interest in art?”

“Yes, I’m her for the year studying European Art History.”

“And what part of America are you from?”

“I’m originally from Los Angeles, but I have been attending Berkley for 2 years now.”

“How delightful! I’ve been to America, but only the east coast. I hear the west coast is quite beautiful, as are you.”

“Why Lord Giles, I’m surprised you can find such beauty in a country that questionably obtains artifacts.” Joyce wasn’t going to fall for this line. She had a pretty good idea how Lord Rupert Giles felt about Americans and his title certainly did nothing to impress her. She’d run into several blue bloods while she was here that still weren’t over the Revolution.

“Oh Joyce, please don’t misunderstand. I have a passion for ancient artifacts. I’m in the Graduate program studying Ancient History and have just developed some strong feelings about how all countries obtain artifacts – England is certainly guilty as well for past transgressions.”

With, this Ethan could not take anymore of his friend falling over this blond American bimbo. “I’m going to get another drink.” He said as he walked off.

“I don’t think your friend agrees with you, Mr. Giles.”

“Oh just ignore Ethan. He thinks the moral high road is what ever side he stands on.” Giles chuckled. “And please Joyce, call me Rupert.” He took her hand and sparks flew between them. Joyce looked into is eyes and knew she was about to fall. Hard.

Joyce and Rupert spent every free second together for the next few months. They were inseparable, much to Ethan’s chagrin. But Giles was his best friend, so he didn’t protest, knowing that no girl kept Rupert’s interest for long. Probably why he was with the American chit anyway – He’d run through all the other girls at Oxford.

Rupert had never met a girl like Joyce. She was so free and open. So unlike the stuffy girls he was used to dating. The first time they made love, he knew he would never leave her. He had never experience so much passion, so much fire with a woman. He made sure he told her every day how much he loved her.

Joyce didn’t go home for Christmas; instead her father came to London, where he met Rupert. Rupert brought Hank and Joyce to meet his mother, Lady Lilah Giles. Rupert’s father, Rupert Giles the II, had been deceased for many years. Joyce knew Rupert had a title and that he was distantly related to the queen, but what she didn’t realize how wealthy he was. Pembrook Manor, the family home was huge. The large brick manor house sat amidst rolling green hills and lakes. When the car passed through the gates her father looked at her in awe. He couldn’t believe his daughter was dating royalty. Maybe he was wrong about Joyce and she wasn’t a foolish as he once thought.

As the servants ushered them through the entrance and took their belongings to their rooms, Rupert advised Joyce and Hank that his mother would formally meet them at dinner. He and his mother would be having a private tea that afternoon to catch up. They all went to their rooms to freshen up. Joyce had never felt so nervous in her life. She was deeply in love with Rupert, but this was a bit more than she could handle. She had grown up very comfortably in Los Angeles, was never denied anything from her father. But this type of wealth made her very uncomfortable.

Servants came to escort Hank and Joyce to the dining room. Rupert and his mother were already seated. Joyce couldn’t believe how young his mother looked. She was a very beautiful woman. Rupert immediately rose to help Joyce with her chair.

“Lady Giles, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you. This is my father, Hank Summers.”

“Lady Giles, it’s an honor.” To Joyce’s mortification, Hank gave a bow. Lilah Giles seemed quite pleased though.

“No, the pleasure is mine. My son has never deemed to bring home a lady friend, so I am quite pleased to have your company Ms. Summers. How are you enjoying Oxford?”

“Very much so, Lady Giles.”

“Wonderful. Have you given any thought to staying on?” Lilah inquired.

“Well, I was planning to return to Berkley.”

“What about Rupert? It’s not serious then?”

“Mother! I really don’t think that’s any of your business.” Giles face flushed with anger.

“Well considering how seriously you seem to be taking Ms. Summers, I do think it is my business. How do you feel about this, Mr. Summers?”

“Well Lady Giles, I approve very much of their relationship, but I have learned the hard way that Joyce needs to make her own decisions.” Hank replied.

Joyce sat in her chair staring at her plate. The conversation was making her extremely uncomfortable. She and Giles had expressed their love for each other, but they had not discussed the future. She wasn’t even sure what she wanted for the future. She loved Rupert and she enjoyed being in England, but California was her true home.

The rest of the meal continued with small chitchat. Afterwards they retired to the drawing room, where Hank kept them entertained with stories of his criminal cases. They retired to bed early that evening, since the next morning was Christmas. Lady Giles informed them they would have an “American” style Christmas in honor of their guest, so everybody would meet downstairs in their robes and slippers. Joyce wondered what they usually did. Shortly after she had retired to her room, Rupert snuck in and they made love.

The next morning at 8, a servant woke Joyce and set out a robe and slippers for her. Rupert had already left; he must have known the servant would be waking her. She put on some lip-gloss and brushed her hair. When she got there, a small dark haired woman was the only other person at the tree. She was singing to herself and holding a doll.

“Hello, I’m Joyce!”

The woman turned and looked around the room, her eyes finally settling on Joyce. Joyce wasn’t sure if she even saw her.

“I’m here with Rupert. And you are?” Joyce inquired, hoping she wasn’t being rude.

The woman finally seemed to focus in on Joyce and smiled. “I’m Drusilla, Rupert’s sister, and this is Miss Edith.” She held up the doll for Joyce’s inspection.

Joyce looked at the doll, and then back at Drusilla. “Well Drusilla, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope we can get to know each other during my visit. Did you just arrive last night?”

“No, I live here, but I was bad, so mommy put me in my room.”

Joyce did not know what to say to this. Fortunately, Rupert, Lilah and her father entered the room before she had to reply. Rupert introduced his sister to Hank and they proceeded to open presents while the servants served tea and scones. After all the gifts were opened, Rupert stood up and cleared his throat.

“I have one last present for Joyce. Joyce, these past few months have been the best of my life and it was made even better this holiday with our families meeting and approving of each other. I now know for certain I was meant to be with you and hope you feel the same. Joyce will you give me the honor of becoming my wife?” Giles got down on one knee in front of Joyce – in his hand was an open ring box with a large, radiant cut diamond in an antique setting. “Joyce, my mother has given me the ring that my father presented to her, which was his mothers.” He looked up expectantly at her.

Joyce glanced over to her father, who was nodding at her, and Lady Lilah who smiled at her. Drusilla was over in the corner humming to herself and rocking Miss Edith. This was very sudden, but she loved Rupert, and obviously their parents approved.

“Yes, Rupert, I will be your wife.”

Rupert’s face broke out into a large smile, and he place the ring on her left hand. He gently kissed her lips and then embraced her.

He went over to Hank and shook his hand. “Thank you Hank, for giving me the permission to ask your daughter for her hand.”

“No problem son. You’re a good man, I couldn’t be happier for you and my daughter.”

“When did this happen?” Joyce asked.

“Last night before dinner, I went to his room and talked with him.” Giles replied.

Lilah came over to Joyce and hugged her. “Welcome to the family dear. We’ll have to start planning the wedding – June will be here before you know it!”

“June!” Joyce gulped. “I’m not finished with school yet.”

“Well Rupert will be graduating in May and taking his place in the House of Lords, so it only seems proper to do it in June. Besides, you can still finish your studies while being a married woman. Now let’s all get dressed, guest will start calling soon.” Lilah walked out of the room and a servant went over to Drusilla to escort her to her room. Hank hugged Joyce and left as well. Giles and Joyce were alone.

“Joyce, I hope things aren’t moving to fast for you. I just love you so much and can’t wait to start our life together.”

“Rupert, I love you too. It is fast, but it will be okay, as long as we’re together.” They kissed and then went upstairs to prepare.


A/N: Please review! Thanks!