Chapter 14 – First Dates


“Buffy?”

“Mmm”

“Are you awake?”

“No.”

“Oh, okay, sorry.”

Silence.

“Willow, I’m awake. What is it?” Buffy grumbled.

“It’s just that, well um, Anya asked me to double with her and Xander tomorrow night.”

“Oh, so who’s your date?”

“The bassist from Dingo’s Ate My Baby. His name is Oz. I talked to him for a while when you were in the bathroom.”

“Do you like him?”

“He’s nice.”

“But do you like him?”

“I don’t know him well enough to say.”

“Well a double date is a good, safe way to find out.”

“So you think I should go?”

“Why not? It can’t hurt anything.”

“Okay, thanks Buffy. Night.”

“Night Will.”

++++++++

Anya and Willow had already left for their double date with Oz and Xander, so Buffy got read for her date alone. While she was putting on her make-up, the phone rang.

“Hi Buffy, It’s Darla.”

“Hi Darla, how are you?”

“I’m doing well. Fred and I just arrived this evening. I just called to see if you wanted to get a bite to eat with us and a few of our sorority sisters. I wanted to make sure you got introduced to all the proper people.”

“Oh, well thanks Darla, but actually your brother is taking me out this evening.”

“Oh, he didn’t mention anything to me.” Darla sounded surprised. “Well okay, you two have fun. I’ll call you tomorrow and maybe we can find some time then, okay?”

“Sure Darla, talk to you tomorrow.” Buffy hung up the phone and finished dressing.

Angel had called earlier in the day to tell her that they were going to a French restaurant and that he would pick her up at seven. He was right on time and brought her a bouquet of white roses.

“Oh Angel, they’re beautiful!”

“Well so are you.” Angel’s eyes slid over Buffy’s figure. She was wearing a dark green sheer blouse that made her stand out and a black mini skirt that flared out from her waist. Her legs were bare and she wore black strappy high heel sandals.

After Buffy put the flowers in water, Angel kissed her softly on the lips. “Are you ready?” Angel held out his arm.

“Yep” Buffy smiled at him and took his arm.

They walked out of the building and got into Angel’s black Porsche. They made small chitchat on the way to the restaurant, which was 15 minutes north of town. ‘Maison Blanc’ was a quaint country inn surrounded by pastures.

“Oh Angel, it’s so beautiful out here!” Buffy exclaimed as he helped her out of the car. The sun was just setting, causing the nearby lake to glow as the last rays bounced off the surface. To the right of the house was an extensive garden with more flowers that Buffy had ever seen in one place. The dining room was in the back of the large white manor house. It was a very exclusive inn Angel explained to her. The dining room only sat 15 tables. The lights were dim creating a very private and romantic atmosphere.

As they entered the dining room, the maitre d’ greeted them. “Lord Angelus, a pleasure to see you again. Let me show you to your table.” He led them to a table near the fireplace and pulled out Buffy’s chair. After he told them the evening’s specials and left them to decide, Buffy gave Angel a look.

“So you come here often?”

“Actually yes, this is one of Darla’s favorite restaurants. Father always brings us for her birthdays and special occasions.” Angel explained.

“Oh, after the way the maitre d’ greeted you, I thought you brought all your dates here.” Buffy joked, though she was dead serious.

“Buffy, as I told you before, I don’t date much.” Angel looked at her intently. “When I was younger I did, but now I need to be more serious about the type of girl I’m with. Casual dating just isn’t my thing anymore. I only spend time with lady’s of the proper breeding.”

Buffy squirmed uncomfortably in her seat. Angel was being very serious for this being their first official date along together. She had no idea how to reply to the statements he was making. Angel seemed to sense her discomfort.

“Buffy, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to let you know why I don’t date much. I also want to let you know that my intentions toward you are serious.” He took her hand in his. “I feel very strongly for you Buffy, and I just want the chance to get to know you better.”

At this, the fear Buffy felt disappeared and her heart started to melt. “Well Angel, I want to get to know you better too. I have to admit I felt a bit uncomfortable at first, because my grandmother was pushing us together and I wasn’t sure if we had anything in common. And there is the age difference.”

“Buffy, let’s just forget about our families and concentrate on us. That way we’ll know if this if real, or if we’re being pressured by our obligations.”

“Sounds good to me, Angel.” As Buffy said this, Angel took the hand he was holding and gently kissed it. “Buffy, you won’t regret this.”

They had a lovely dinner and afterwards Angel took Buffy for a stroll in the gardens, which were well lit by the full moon. Angel promised Buffy that one weekend they would come up and stay at the inn so she could fully enjoy the Estate.

On the drive back to school, they made plans for the upcoming weekend, when Angel’s fraternity would be hosting a party. Angel walked Buffy to the entrance of her dorm. They kissed for a few minutes until people coming out of the dorm interrupted them.

“I’ll call you tomorrow.” Angel told Buffy as he gave her one last kiss goodbye.

Buffy went up to her room and found Willow was already home.

“So how was you and Anya’s double date?” Buffy asked.

“It was fun. Oz is a really nice guy. Anya and Xander are really hitting it off. We’re going to York on Saturday. Dingo’s have a gig there. It’s only an hour away, do you want to come?”

“Actually Angel’s fraternity is having a party this weekend. I was going to ask you and Anya if you wanted to come.”

Wow, we’re all just social butterflies, aren’t’ we.” Any commented, appearing at the door. “I thought I saw you and Angel smooching on the stoop. Was the sex good tonight?”

“Anya, there was no sex!” Buffy exclaimed.

“Geez, thought a nice romantic dinner would get you some action.”

“Is that all you think about.” Willow grumbled.

“Okay, Miss Grumpy. You’re just jealous because I saw Xander first. You had a perfectly nice date tonight who was really interested in you and all you could do was make moon eyes at Xander! Don’t think I didn’t notice.” Anya slammed out of the room and Buffy could hear another door slam as Anya returned to her room.

“I was not,” Willow mumbled.

Buffy wasn’t sure what to say. She had no doubt Anya was right. She had witnessed Willow’s reaction to Xander while they were at Willy’s last night. Buffy knew she needed to smooth things out between Anya and Willow if they were all going to be living in the same dorm and on the same hall.

“Willow, I know you have a crush on Xander.” Willow started to protest, but Buffy kept talking. “It’s very obvious, I could tell right away the other night a Willy’s.”

“It’s that obvious?”

“Yep.”

“Oh god, Buffy, what am I’m going to do?” Willow plopped down on her bed. “I know he and Anya are crazy about each other. I don’t even have a chance.”

“I know it sucks, liking someone and they don’t like you back.” Buffy went and sat down with Willow on her bed. “But it’s not like there aren’t other guys out there. And from what Anya’s said, this Oz guy seems really into you. Do you like him at all?”

“I do. He’s really nice. And he has this great, subtle sense of humor. I’m going to try and get to know him better and get over this silly crush I have on Xander.”

“That’s great Will.”

“Well, I’m going to go apologize to Anya for acting like such a dork.” Willow went down the hall.

Buffy realized she hadn’t had a chance to tell anybody about her date with Angel. So she picked up the phone.

“Hey Cordy, what’s shakin’?”




A/N – Please review!!!