Chapter 15 – English Lit

A/N: I know everybody is very anxious for the Spuffy to start, but trust me, working up to it will make it worth it!

Buffy floated through her first day of classes dreaming about her great date with Angel. She was on cloud nine and couldn’t wait to see him at his fraternity party Saturday night. She tried calling him on her cell phone at lunchtime, but he didn’t pick up. She left him a message, letting him know she’d be done with classes at three.

Willow and Anya had very different schedules than Buffy, but they all shared one class together, Intro to English Literature. The girls all met outside the classroom at two that afternoon so they could sit together. The class was very large since all first year students were required to take it. The professor walked in and started the class.

“Good afternoon. I am Professor Snyder and this is Intro to English Literature 101. Due to the size of the class I will have to graduate students working for me as Teaching Assistants. They will be helping grade assignments and hold group discussions on the novels we review. The group discussion will be held every Thursday evening at 6. Later I will be dividing the class in to groups, one assigned to William Martin and the other to Clem Roberts. Gentleman, will you please pass out the syllabus?”

When the two grad students rose from the first row and turned around, Buffy gasped. She would recognize that blond head anywhere!

“Buffy, what’s wrong?” Willow nudged her friend whose mouth was hanging open.

“Oh my god Willow, it’s Spike!” Buffy whispered. He was dressed in black slacks and a deep blue soft collared shirt. ‘Wow he looks good. Oh, god, did I just think that! Bad Buffy!’

“What? Who’s Spike?” Willow asked puzzled.

“The motorcycle guy – remember his piercing blue eyes that Buffy couldn’t forget? He is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!” Anya licked her lips. ‘I wouldn’t mind a piece of him…’ she thought to herself.

“Anya, you are not helping!” Buffy hissed. “Maybe he won’t recognize me.” Buffy mumbled as she slumped in her seat. Spike was making his way toward their row, passing out the syllabus. Unfortunately, she was at the end the row. When he reached their row, he looked down at her as he handed her the stack of papers. At first his eyes widened, but then they narrowed and his lips formed a smirk.

In a low voice he said, “Fancy meeting you here Luv,” and proceeded to the next row.

Buffy was blushing furiously while Willow and Anya broke out in giggles.

“Is there a problem ladies?” Professor Snyder was standing at the front of their row looking very perturbed.

“No!” Willow, Buffy and Anya replied in unison.

“Well since you three seem to find Mr. Martin so amusing, why don’t we make sure you are assigned to his discussion group. Snyder took out a piece of paper. “Your names ladies?”

“Anya Jenkins.”

“Willow Rosenberg, sir.”

“Elizabeth Summers-Giles. It might be under Buffy.”

“Well Buffy, Willow and Anya.” Snyder said snidely. “We seem to have an influx of Americans this year. Well ladies, you getter buckle up because you are about to be taught real English Literature, not that bloody William Shakespeare you Americans are taught.” The professor proceeded to give and overview of the class.

Spike and Clem took their seats at the front again so Buffy couldn’t see Spike’s face. She was sure he was having a chuckle over her getting in trouble.

When the class was over the girls practically ran out of the classroom. Anya was laughing. “Oh my, that was hilarious!”

“Hilarious! That was awful! Professor Snyder has it in for us. It’s going to be impossible to get an ‘A’ from him.” Willow snapped at Anya. Buffy kept walking, looking at the ground.

“Oh don’t worry about getting your ‘A’, Willow. Buffy her will make sure Spike gives an ‘A’ to all of us.” Anya said jokingly.

Buffy spun around. “Anya, It will not be like that. In a few weeks Spike will forget about me and the whole incident.”

“Yeah right!” Anya and Willow said in unison. By this time the girls had reached the dorm. Xander was waiting for Anya.

“Ladies.” He greeted them. He pulled out a bouquet of daisies and handed them to Anya.

“Oh Xander, your so sweet!”

“Nicked them myself. Thought we could take a walk by the pond before I have to go to work.”

“I’d love to. See you guys later.” Anya and Xander went off. Buffy and Willow walked up to the room. The phone was ringing when they entered. Buffy went to answer, hoping it would be Angel.

“Hello?”

“Hi Buffy,” a breathy voice said, “it’s Darla. Are you through with classes for the day?”

“Oh, hey Darla. I just finished up.”

“Great, why don’t you come over to see me and Fred? We’ll introduce you to some people and then we’ll have dinner.”

“Okay, I’ll be right over.”

“Buffy explained to Willow where she was going and then she got in her car and drove over to Darla and Fred’s. On the way, she called Lady Lilah and Dawn and told them about her first day of school. She also explained that she wouldn’t be home that weekend. Lady Lilah was upset at first, but when she explained that Angel had invited to her a party, she was singing a different tune. She even offered to have some clothes sent, but Buffy assured her she had plenty.

Darla and Fred lived in a townhouse right off campus. It was in a very nice, upscale neighborhood. Buffy was surprised when a servant greeted her at the door. She didn’t think Darla and Fred would be so formal at school.

Darla and Fred were waiting for Buffy in the living room. The houses décor was modern and simple. Very different from Angelus Manor. It made Buffy wonder if they had Pottery Barn in England. When Lady Lilah took her shopping for school in London, she hadn’t seen one, or a Crate and Barrel.

“Buffy, it’s so wonderful to see you again.” Darla exclaimed. She and Fred came over and hugged Buffy. “The housekeeper will bring the tea shortly. Let me introduce you to everybody.” Buffy then noticed that on the other side of the room three other girls were seated on a sofa. “Everybody, this is a dear friend of mine, Lady Elizabeth Summers-Giles, but please call her Buffy.” The girls all giggled at this. “Buffy, this is Lady Katherine Taylor, Lady Josephine Etson, and Baroness Emily Pendleton.”

Buffy greeted the girls. They were all Darla’s age and very dull in appearance. Buffy could tell right away she had nothing in common with any of them. The tea was served and they all sat down. They all managed to make small chit-chat, but Buffy felt uncomfortable. She also found it weird that Darla never brought up Angel, or the fact that Buffy had gone on a date with him.

After tea, Fred took Buffy on a tour of the house while Darla went over some sorority business with the other girls. When they reached Fred’s room, she paused.

“Buffy, I’m glad you’re here. I really hope we can be friends.”

“Oh Fred, thank you. I hope we become friends too.” Buffy assured her.

“Oh good. Buffy, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure Fred.”

“Darla said that back in America, you weren’t a Lady. Is that true?”

The question surprised Buffy, but she could see Fred wasn’t asking to be mean. “I didn’t officially inherit the title until my father passed away. My grandmother explained that if I had grown up here I would have had the title. It was just very complicated due to my parents’ separation and my dual citizenship. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure Buffy.” Fed nodded.

“Well, do people think less of me because I’m American? Those girls down there were acting odd toward me.”

“Well, that’s probably part of it. The other part is because of Angel.”

“Because of Angel? They don’t like him?” Buffy asked, puzzled.

“Oh, just the opposite. He is one of the most eligible men around, and they are all jealous of you.”

“Oh, okay. So how do you and Darla feel about me and Angel?”

“Buffy, we both like you a lot. But I realize that there is a lot of pressure between our two families for you two to get together. There’s a lot of pressure in our circles to make the right match. Don’t let that get to you. Just go with your heart.” Fred smiled at Buffy.

Buffy smiled back at her, but she couldn’t help but wonder if Fred was trying to tell her something else.

The girls went back downstairs. Darla was now sitting in the parlor with Wesley. He stood as Buffy and Fred entered.

“Lady Buffy, how good to see you again. Fred, how are you today?”

“Good evening, Wes.” Fred smiled.

“Hello Wesley, how are you.” Buffy greeted.

“Just fine. I’m here to join you ladies for dinner.” When he said ladies, he only looked at Fred. Fred looked away uncomfortably. Buffy was beginning to understand.