Chapter 5 – Surprise

Buffy sat in her favorite club, ‘The Bronze’, with her best friend Cordelia Chase, Cordelia’s boyfriend Connor, and her ex, Riley Finn. They only had 1 month to go before school started and everybody was trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible. Buffy sometimes felt weird spending all this time with Riley since they had broken up, but he had proven to be a better friend then boyfriend. She felt much more relaxed with him these days.

“Ewe, do you see what that girl is wearing? Somebody needs to call the fashion police.” Cordelia sneered at a rather nerdy girl wearing a puffy pink sweater. She was very much the snob. Her family was very wealthy and she prided herself in being one of the best dressed girls at Sunnydale High.

“Yeah, she needs some serious help.” Buffy felt bad for the girl. Not everybody could have the great fashion sense she and Cordy had. They spent many of their afternoons at the mall, making sure they had the perfect outfits for going out and for school. Both girls liked to dress sophisticated yet sexy. Buffy was small and petite, and could wear anything and look wonderful. Cordelia was tall and voluptuous, and she wore outfits to accentuate her curves. She was the only girl at Sunnydale High that actually owned a pair of Jimmy Choos. Cordelia had such a great sense of style that she planned to major in interior design at Sunnydale U. Buffy was majoring in General Studies, since she had no idea what she wanted to do with her life. Other than fashion and cheerleading, she had no real interest.

“Guess what guys?” Riley pulled a card out of his wallet. “My older brother got me a fake I.D. as a going away present for college. Why don’t I go try it out and get us a pitcher?”

“All right!” said Connor.

Buffy and Cordelia gave each other a knowing look. “All right,” Buffy said, “But if you get busted, we’re not bailing you out of jail.”

“Ladies please, I will be back in a moment.” He headed over to the bar.

“Come on Connor, let’s dance while he’s getting the drinks.” Cordelia led Connor to the dance floor. Buffy stayed at the table and watched Cordelia and Connor. Connor looked a lot younger than Cordelia even though they were the same age. “Good thing he didn’t try the fake I.D.” Buffy thought to herself. Cordelia and Connor had only been dating a few months, and Connor was planning to attend school at UCLA. Cordelia had told Buffy that they weren’t going to break up, but Buffy knew Cordelia better than that. She got bored easily with men, and she would tire quickly of the distance issue. Buffy knew she and Riley had definitely made the right decision breaking up.

“What you thinking about, Buffy?” Riley inquired as he set the pitcher and cups on the table.

“Oh, just school. I’m so excited to start this fall.” Buffy lied. She couldn’t believe Riley actually got the beer. She started pouring cups as Cordy and Connor made their way back to the table.

The friends then proceeded to get very drunk as Riley managed to purchase them 3 more pitchers that night. Around midnight, Buffy was feeling quite adventurous.

“Let’s go swimming!”

“My parents are gone, we can use my pool.” Cordelia offered.

“Great, lets go.” Riley and Connor said at the same time. Connor was very glad that Cordelia’s parents were gone.

The gang headed over to Cordelia’s house. Once there, Cordelia broke into her parent’s liquor cabinet and set up Tequila shots for everyone. Then she and Buffy went up to her room and changed into swimsuits. Buffy quickly called her mom and told her she was staying over at Cordy’s. She tried to sound as sober as possible during the conversation. Thankfully her mother was really tired and didn’t notice.

When the girls had finished changing, they went down to the pool and found the guys were already in it. They had just stripped down to their underwear. Buffy jumped in and joined them while Cordelia sat on the edge and dangled her feet in the water.

“Come on Cordelia, join the fun.” Called Riley, who was tossing a beach ball around.

“It’s a little chilly, I need to ease my was in.”

“Don’t be a baby. If you don’t jump in, Connor and I are going to have to pull you in,” teased Riley.

“Riley Finn, if you pull me in that water you’ll regret it!” screeched Cordelia just as Riley and Connor both pulled her in the water.

The couples horsed around for a while in the water, and then Cordelia and Connor moved to the other side of the pool and began making out.

“So Riley, whatcha want to do now?” Buffy said as she floated on her back in the water.

“Well, just because we broke up doesn’t mean we can’t have any fun. I miss you Buffy.” Riley pulled Buffy to him and kissed her.

“Riley, we can’t start this up again. It’s not right.” Buffy tried pulling away. Riley just pulled her closer.

“Sure we can. We’re adults Buffy. I’ve been thinking, and I don’t want to start college a virgin. I would prefer for my first time to be with somebody I care about. Buffy, I still care about you. I want you so badly. I’ve always wanted you, but I held back because you weren’t ready.”

“Riley, I’m still not ready. I care about you, but I want my first time to be with someone I love. We care about each other, but we’re not in love.”

Riley groaned, but released his hold on Buffy. “I can respect that Buffy. Let’s go inside. I’ll pour us some more shots and we can see what movie’s the Chase’s have on DVD.”

The next morning, Buffy woke up in the guest room with a raging headache. It didn’t help that the wall behind her bed was shaking and she could hear Cordelia moaning, “Fuck me harder Connor! Harder!” She started to get up and immediately felt nauseas.

“Morning sunshine!” greeted Riley from the twin bed beside hers.

“God, my head! My stomach! Can you just be a little quieter? Can they be a little quieter?” groaned Buffy. “Somebody please close the drapes!”

“Oh those two kids are just have some old fashioned fun,” smirked Riley. “Looks like somebody can’t handle their liquor.” Riley chuckled, “I’ll go make a Mickey-D’s run. Nothing like a sausage biscuit to cure hangover stomach.”

“Coffee. Buffy needs coffee.”

“Yes, I’ll bring coffee too.”

Buffy laid back down and tried to forget her splitting head. She dozed off again and when she woke up she went downstairs and found Riley, Cordelia and Connor eating.

“Did everybody have fun last night?” chirped Cordelia.

“Apparently not as much as you. Am I the only one with a hangover?” Buffy groaned.

“Buffy, you need to learn to handle your liquor if you’re going to be starting Sunnydale U. in the fall. How are you going to handle all those frat parties?” joked Connor.

“Buffy, is not drinking anymore. Beer bad.” Buffy gulped some coffee and nibbled at her sausage McMuffin. “I got to split guys, I have a ton of errands to run. At least my mom will be at work and won’t see me like this. Oh God, I smell too! Riley, can you drive me home if I’m not too stinky for your car?”

“Sure Buff.”

Riley dropped Buffy off in front of her home. She put her key in the lock, but she found the knob turned without her twisting the key. “It’s not like Mom to forget to lock the door, “ Buffy thought. Then she glanced over in the driveway and saw her mom’s car and a very expensive looking Mercedes parked beside it. “Oh shit!” Buffy said to herself. “I bet one of Mom’s art dealers is visiting from L.A.”

Buffy walked into the house and saw her mom sitting in the living room with two visitors, an attractive older lady wearing a black suit and a gentleman who she recognized. Joyce stood up as Buffy entered.

“Buffy, dear I’m so glad your home.” Joyce said nervously. Buffy had never seen her mother so agitated. I called Cordelia’s and she said you were on your way over. Buffy there’s been some bad news. You remember Mr. Rayne?” Joyce motioned to the visitors. “He visited us from England a couple years ago. And Buffy, this is Lady Lilah Giles, your grandmother.”


Please Review – Thanks!