Chapter 7 – Goodbye Sunnydale

A/N: Sorry for the delay – enjoy!

Later that day Joyce and Buffy arrived at the Sheraton. Buffy was extremely nervous. She had told Joyce in the car that she was not going to England, but Joyce asked her to have an open mind. Joyce knew Lady Lilah had nothing but good intentions; she just had to convince Buffy of this. They also talked about what Buffy was doing the night before and why she came home that morning in such a state. Buffy admitted to her mother that she had been drinking, and that she had stayed in the same room with Riley, but assured her nothing happened. Joyce was so proud that Buffy could be honest with her.

Ethan greeted Joyce and Buffy at the door to the suite. The hotel staff was busy inside setting up the tea and pastries. Lady Lilah was seated on a couch, talking on the phone with her lawyers. As soon as she saw Buffy and Joyce, she ended the conversation.

“Lizzy, Joyce – I’m so glad you made it. Lizzy, are you feeling better?”

Buffy grimaced at the greeting. “It’s Buffy, and yes, I am feeling much better, thank you.”

“I’m so sorry dear, I keep forgetting. Buffy, Joyce, please sit down. Would you care for some tea and biscuits?”

The servants rushed to serve the refreshments and Buffy and Joyce accepted. Once they were all seated and sipping their tea, Lilah began.

“Buffy, I understand this is all a shock to you. I regret that we did not make further efforts before my son’s passing to get in touch with you. You seem to be such a lovely girl, and looking at you I have nothing but regret for missing out on you growing up.”

“Lady Lilah, the fault is as much mine as yours.” Joyce interrupted.

“Well let’s not dwell on who’s fault it was. I just want to concentrate on the future. Buffy, I’m sure your mother has informed you that I wish for you to return to England with me. I understand your hesitance. Whether or not you decide to come with me, you have inherited your father’s title and money. And when I pass, you and your cousin Dawn will divide my estate, which contains the bulk of the family’s assets. What you have inherited from your father is just a small portion of the family’s wealth. But still, you are now a very wealthy girl.”

Lilah pulled out a notebook. “Let me advise you on the specifics of your fathers estate. I have already had the lawyers set up the accounts. The total inheritance you will be receiving from your father’s estate is £3 million, which is approximately $5 million in the U.S. You have access to a quarter of your inheritance immediately. Another quarter will be available on your 21st birthday, and the remainder on your 25th. Another $1 million was left to your mother. Before you leave here today, Ethan will give you all the information you need in order to access the money. The title and position transferred at the time of Rupert’s death. You are now Lady Elizabeth Anne Summers Giles.”

Buffy was in shock. She could not believe the numbers that Lilah was throwing out at her. She was rich, very rich. And a Lady. Lady Buffy.

“Buffy, I know this is a lot of information to absorb, and we can go over it again later. Lady Lilah and I hope you will consider at least visiting us and the rest of the family in England.” Ethan pulled out his wallet and showed Buffy a picture. “This is your Aunt Drusilla, and with her is our daughter Dawn. Dawn is very anxious to meet you.” Buffy gazed at the dark haired woman and girl in the photo. So she had an aunt and a cousin. She couldn’t help be curious.

“So how is Drusilla?” Joyce inquired. She had to admit, she thought about the girl often over the years, hoping she was okay.

“She’s fine.” Lilah answered quickly and turned toward Buffy. “Now Buffy, I understand you are set to start college in August at Sunnydale University studying Art History, but I would like you to reconsider. Our family home is about an hour away from Oxford, and with our connections we could have you enrolled this fall. Your father and mother attended, as did your grandfather. Oxford has an excellent Art History program, and I’m sure your aware of the University’s reputation. They even have an American dorm, with many other American students, so I’m sure you’d feel very comfortable. On weekends, you could come visit us at the family estate, Pembrook.”

Never in a million years did Buffy think she would ever have a chance to attend a school like Oxford. Especially with her grades. Proximity wasn’t the only reason she had chosen Sunnydale U. It was tempting, but, “I don’t think I’m ready to leave Sunnydale and my mom,” she told Lilah.

“Honey, don’t hold back on account of me. I will come visit you anytime you are lonely. You were starting college anyway and you were going to live in the dorms, so you wouldn’t be seeing that much of me. This is a very wonderful opportunity that Lady Lilah is offering. It’s also you birthright.” Joyce stroked Buffy’s hair and smiled encouragingly.

Buffy looked at her mother, and she could see that Joyce thought this was a good idea. “Fine, I’ll come for one year, but then I’m coming back to Sunnydale.” As Buffy agreed, she felt a knot at the pit of her stomach. She hoped this wasn’t a mistake.

“Oh Buffy, I’m so happy you agreed. I promise you, you will not regret your decision.” Lilah beamed. “Ethan and I will get everything ready and we’ll leave on Wednesday.”

Joyce and Buffy finalized the arrangements and said their goodbyes. Buffy’s last days in Sunnydale flew by quickly. She said goodbye to all her friends, visited all her favorite places one last time, and spent quality mother/daughter time with Joyce. Lady Lilah sent servants to pack up her belongings and promised to buy her a ton of new clothes to start the school year once she reached England. At the airport, she couldn’t stop crying as Joyce and Cordy hugged her goodbye. The tears continued as the private plane took off. Buffy stared out the window, memorizing the Sunnydale skyline behind them.