Chapter 2 – Betrayal

The next few months were a whirlwind, with classes and preparing for the wedding. Lady Lilah took care of most of the preparations and had hired a wedding planner, but Joyce insisted on having a say on some matters – especially her dress and the cake. Giles didn’t take any part in the preparations, stating he was to busy with his Thesis to get involved. Ethan Rayne advised him several times that marrying Joyce was a mistake and he’d regret it, but Giles ignored him. He was in love. Despite his objections, Ethan still agreed to be his best man. Joyce’s best friend from high school, Jenny Callendar was flying in to be her maid of honor. Jenny was planning to come to England anyway. She was a computer wiz and had graduated college early and was hired by a company in London. Joyce was thrilled that her best friend would be so close buy. She wasn’t thrilled when Jenny hit it off with Ethan. But she kept her mouth shut. Jenny went through guys quickly anyway, so it really didn’t matter.

The wedding was beautiful, but formal. Due to tradition, they did not kiss after saying their vows, but Rupert more than made up for it that night. Joyce had only had one lover before Giles and couldn’t believe how much passion he infused in her. They couldn’t keep their hands off each other. Giles was insatiable; he wanted her morning, noon and night. Joyce couldn’t be that surprised when she found out she was pregnant. It was hard to remember to use her diaphragm every time they made love. Everybody was overjoyed at the news. Joyce was a little disappointed that she’d not graduated first, but Lady Lilah assured her they would hire a nanny so Joyce could finish her last year of school.

Joyce had an easy pregnancy, and relatively easy birth. She and Rupert welcomed the birth of their daughter, Elizabeth Anne Summers Giles. They named her Elizabeth after Joyce’s mother and Anne for Rupert’s grandmother. They nicknamed the baby Lizzy. Joyce was able to finish up her last year of study with the help of the nanny Lady Lilah hired. Since Giles had taken his place at the House of Lords and taken over running the families financial affairs he had become very busy and traveled often. But when he and Joyce were together, they were very happy and led a very comfortable life. They split their time between Oxford, Pembrook and London where they had a lovely town home. Jenny and Ethan were now living together in London, and the couples saw each other frequently.

After Joyce graduated they gave up the apartment at Oxford. Lady Lilah insisted that Joyce spend as much time as possible at Pembrook so she could be near her granddaughter. Joyce was also good company for Drusilla – she seemed to have a calming effect on the girl and Drusilla loved to play with Lizzy. Joyce generally spent the weekdays at Pembrook and went down to London on the weekend to be with Giles. Giles spent less and less time at Pembrook as he and his mother had had some disagreements regarding the family’s finances.

One Thursday Joyce decided to leave Pembrook early and head into London. She needed to buy some clothes for a function she and Rupert were attending that Saturday. She tried calling Rupert to let him know that she and Lizzy would be arriving, but he wasn’t picking up at the office or at home. It was late in the evening when she and Lizzy arrived and the house was dark. Joyce put Lizzy down in her crib and then went to get ready for bed. When she opened the door to her bedroom she heard a strange sound. Like someone was panting. She flipped on the light to discover Rupert lying on his back in the bed while Jenny Callendar was furiously riding his cock. As soon as the light came on Jenny looked over her shoulder and gasped. Rupert was too busy shooting his load into her to register what was happening.

Joyce ran from the room. By this time Jenny had let Rupert know what had happened. He quickly pulled on some pants and chased after Joyce. She was in Lizzy’s room, gathering up Lizzy’s things.

“Joyce, wait, I can explain!”

“Rupert there is nothing to explain about you FUCKING my best friend!” Joyce shouted through the tears that were running down her face. She could not believe she been betrayed by her husband and her best friend. She thought this kind of thing only happened in TV movies.

Jenny walked into the room; she had her clothes on now. “Joyce I am so sorry! We never meant to hurt you. It was just sex – Rupert still loves you.”

“Oh, yes, just sex. Well that makes it all better, doesn’t it!” Hearing the arguing, baby Lizzy started to cry. “Now look how you have upset my child! Both of you get out of here- I don’t want to see either one of you ever again!”

Jenny quickly left and Rupert tried to approach Joyce. “Please dear, we must discuss this. I don’t want to ruin our family. I love you so much!” He pleaded.

Joyce cradled a wailing Lizzy. “Well you should have thought of that before you fucked my best friend. Now get out!”

Giles hung his head and left.

Over the next few days he tried repeatedly calling Joyce, but she wouldn’t take his calls. He finally had to inform his mother about what had happened. Lady Lilah was furious.

“You couldn’t even get a hotel room! How stupid are your Rupert! You better figure a way to get Joyce back. You will not soil this families name with a divorce!” Lilah ordered.

Giles tried to go see Joyce, but she had the locks on the town home changed. He called Hank and explained what had happened, and asked if he could get through to Joyce. Hank felt bad for Rupert, but he knew Joyce wouldn’t listen to him. So Hank did the only thing he could do. He came to England to bring is daughter and granddaughter home.

When he got there, he knocked on the door, but got no answer. He saw Joyce’s car in front so he knew she was home.

“Joyce honey, it’s Daddy. Please let me in honey. I’m alone.” Hank shouted through the door. He saw a curtain move. Joyce then came down and opened the door.

“Did Rupert send you?”

“He called, but I told him I couldn’t help him. I’ve come her to bring you home sweetheart.”

“Oh Daddy!” Joyce threw herself in Hanks arms, sobbing.

Hank helped her get all her paperwork in order for leaving the country. He also contacted some colleagues of his at powerful law firm in London. Hank and his associates met with Rupert and Lilah and came to a settlement agreement. At first Lilah fought it – she didn’t want her families reputation soiled like this, but Rupert forced her to give in. They did get Joyce to agree that it would just be a permanent separation. No actual divorce would take place. This somewhat placated Lady Lilah.

Rupert loved Joyce with all his heart, and knew how badly he hurt her. He gave her full custody of Lizzy so that she could return to the states and a generous financial settlement that would allow them to live comfortably. Hank and Joyce promised that Rupert and Lilah could visit Lizzy at any time, but only in the U.S. – they didn’t trust them to return her if Joyce allowed Lizzy to go to England.

Joyce brought Lizzy to Pembrook for one last visit with her father’s family. Lilah and Drusilla wept as her car drove away. Rupert locked himself in his study and drank himself into oblivion.



A/N: Please review! Thanks!