Author's Chapter Notes:
First I want to say thank you for the reviews. And I'd also like to make some things clear. Kate is in fact a teenager, I wanted to put a twist on the whole 'stuck with a kid' theory. Also, I probably should have explained it but I wasn't quite sure about the story myself. Yes Spike *is* a womanizer but it's not a part of the plot that is explicitly focused on. It will be mentioned, sometimes showed but not to a huge degree because I am focusing it (or trying to) on the realtionship between Buffy and Spike. Just warning you now though, there will be some Spike and Buffy 'other' but it won't be graphic, just a slight plot bulder in parts.
Chapter 1

“What in bleedin hell…”

The teen gave him a teasing smirk. “That any way to welcome a family member?”

“How did you…and where is…” He stopped talking, trying to gather up his wits at the unforeseen turn of events. He was at a complete loss. “You didn’t run away did you?”

She rolled her eyes. “And come here? Hardly.”

“So why are you here? And how did you get in?”

Getting up she walked into the kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbed a can of beer opening it, only to have it snatched out of her hands. With an indignant huff she grabbed a coke instead. “Mom sent me. She’s met some new honey and he decided to take her to Paris.” She said exadurating the name. “Oh, and you put your spare key just about the same place as everyone else on earth, might want to get a new spot to hide it.” She said tossing him the key.

He leaned his weight on his left hand, placing it on the counter. His sister had never been the most responsible person in the world. But to leave her daughter with another family member, without even mentioning it before hand was more then unexpected. And flying halfway across the world on a whim, without that daughter, wasn’t something he thought her capable of.

“Did you fly here alone?”

She nodded boredly tossing the empty can at the garbage can and missing. She shrugged it off and smiled innocently at his annoyed look.

“And how long do you suppose your mother will be…unavailable?”

Her good mood seemed to be spoiled and he knew why. She understood what he was asking her, ‘when do you think you’ll be leaving?’. He understood it wasn’t the girls fault but his life wasn’t used to accommodate a teenager.

She got up from her seat and walked passed him, a barely repressed look of anger and hurt on her face. “I’m tired. Already set everything up in the guest room. Don’t worry, I wont get in your way.” With that she went up the stairs taking them two at a time.

“Night Kate.”

It looked like tonight’s date with Julia was off.

***
The two occupants of the kitchen sat across the table from each other. A lengthy silence had started shortly after Spike had made breakfast. He sat there eating, stealing awkward glances at Kate every now and then while she tried to ignore them.

“Um, I have to work today.”

She glanced up from busily poking her bacon. “Yeah? I’ll be just fine, there’s supposed to be some big chick flick marathon on one of the channels and I’ll just order some pizza. “She pushed the plate away from her. “I’m vegetarian by the way.”

He cleared his throat. “Actually, I planned for you to spend the day with Cordy, I probably won’t be back til’, er, late.”

Her sigh served to make him feel even more tense, he’d never dealt with teenagers before and so far it was a mystery to him. Maybe it would have been different if it was a guy but it wasn’t. “Fine, I get it. You don’t trust me alone in the house, wreckless teen. Blah blah blah, all that crap. And Cordelia agreed to this little arrangement?” She had spent time with Cordy on numerous occasions while the two were still together. Altogether she liked her ex aunt, but she wasn’t someone who she could really relate to. Or put up with for more then a few hours at a time.

“Yeah.” ‘After a lot of groveling... He could almost hear the conversation on the phone replay in his head, and was glad it hadn’t taken place in person. Cordelia wasn’t known for being the most understanding person ever. Or maybe he just saw it that way because he was used to being the boss and usually got his way, so when a little opposition was sent his way he got easily frustrated. Yet anther reason why he wasn’t made to take care of teenagers.


“William Giles! How can you think of dumping your niece onto someone else after she got sent to you? That’s a little cold even for you!”

Spike sighed rubbing his closed eyes. “Look I’m not dumping her on you! I just need you to watch her for a little while, just when I’m at work. It’s not like your someone she doesn’t know.”

“That has nothing to do with it! She’s your responsibility now and I’ll have you know I have a job too.”

“My bloody responsibility? Her mother send her alone to me and flew off to Paris with some sod, and this is my fault? Somehow now I have no choice but to take care of a teenage girl, when I have now clue how to bloody well do that!”

He could almost see her caving in. Almost. “Besides you’re a woman.”

“You had better not be implying what I think you are. I a business woman in the fashion industry, who never planned on having kids in the first place. So don’t you dare give me the whole ‘woman are made for it’ bull shit.”

“Look..”

“I’ll do it. But not for you, for Kate. And only for today, after that I won’t be able to so you’ll have to figure it out. Maybe…maybe I’ll be able to convince my sister to help you out since she usually works evenings.”

“Thanks Cordy, I owe you.” He sighed in relief.

“Yeah, you owe me about ten thousand.”


“Ok, whatever. But I doubt she’ll be ok with it for much longer.” His complete ignorance and lack of tact caused him to miss the slight dejection in her voice as she said it.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you guys will do some fun stuff.”

A knock on the door made his face light up. “That must be her now.”

Kate walked to the door behind Spike. Smiling politely at Cordelia when the door opened. She looked exactly how she had remembered the fashionista. Designer clothes and killer high heels.

“Hi Kiddo. Looks like your stuck with me for the day.”

The slim brunette gave her a wry smile as she grabbed her things. “Looks like.”

“Be good.” Spike said before closing the door. He grabbed his cell phone and dialed a number. “Hi sweets, looks like we’re back on for tonight.”
__________________________________________
A/N: I just want to say thanks for the reviews and I hope you read the authors notes in the begining because they explain some of the plot. Thanks