Title: Mistaken Identity

Author: Pari

Disclaimers: This story is meant to entertain not infringe upon anyone’s rights. Although the story plot is original, I do not own the characters or places portrayed within.



~~~~



Mistaken Identity:

It was like poetry in motion every graceful, fluid swing of arms and legs. As if every movement was in slow motion, although they were actually quite swift. It was a dance of sort, one she had been doing since she was 15. A dangerous dance, a dance of death, and yet in still she did it night after night. She is the one girl in all the world Buffy the Vampire Slayer…



~~~~



“What the hell is wrong with me?” She asked as she firmly locked her arm around the vamp’s neck, placing him in a chock hold. “Why?” Punch! “Do I,” Punch! “Always,” Punch! “Attract Vampires?” Flip! “Well at least I ‘can’ kill you.” Stake! Dust. She stood and brushed the dust from her clothes, and then with a deep sigh and pout she looked heavenward. “Why do you mock me?” She then turned and began her trek home.



He had been watching her unseen, undetected as he had every night since he had returned to Sunnydale. Close enough to make sure she was ok, but far enough as so she couldn’t pick up on his presence, he wasn’t ready for her to know he was back from Africa, wasn’t ready to face her after what had happened the last time they were together. After what he had done, killing what little trust they had between them.



He spent his nights, when he wasn’t watching her, working. With the fake credentials he had gotten from a shaman in Africa, he had gotten a job, a very legit and high paying job at the bank doing accounting work for the bank’s largest clients. A hidden talent he was never aware of, for in the two months he had been working, nightly at the bank, he had already gotten a raise, and was making enough money to get a nice townhouse apartment, as well as a new wardrobe, he was suddenly in need of. Plus he had already begun setting back a nice nest egg for rainy days.



~~~~~



[[She looked out over the blue-green sea. The breeze blowing through her hair, like her lover’s fingers, caressing her scalp. She closed her eyes and titled her head back, lifting it as so the sun could shine on her face. She took a deep breath, inhaling the many scents around her, and then smiled as strong arms wrapped around her waist. With a contented sigh she leaned back against the firm body behind her, moaning slightly when she felt her lover kissing her hair.



“I miss you,” She said in a near whisper, invoking a smile to her lover’s face.



“I’m right here,” He replied, leaning down to her ear, nipping at and kissing her lobe. “And I’ll never leave you, I love you.” She smiled broadly at these words.



“I love you too, Spike.”]]



She bolted up in her bed, her body glistening with sweat. With wide frighten eyes she scanned her room, searching for something, someone who wasn’t there.



“Oh God, no.”



~~~~



“Uhm…. that kind of sounds like the dream you use to have about Angel. You know… uhm…right after you sent him to hell.” Dawn said nervously, knowing it still was a sensitive spot with her older sister.



“That’s because it’s the same dream, except Angel’s not in, but,” She swallowed the lump that had suddenly formed in her throat before finishing. "Spike is.”



“So do you…love him I mean?” Dawn asked arching her brows as she did. Buffy replied by looking down at the table. “It…it’s ok if you do. Spike really does love you. And recent events excluded, he has done a lot of good stuff right?” Buffy looked up at her sister and smiled, knowing that this was her sister’s attempt at consoling. Buffy knew that Dawn was hurt and very mad at Spike’s actions, she just wasn’t sure which upset Dawn more, Spike attacking her or him leaving town.



“That’s exactly what Tara told me, when I told her about Spike and me.” Dawn perked up at this knowledge.



“Really?”



“Yeah,” Buffy said with a sad sigh.



“Then it must be true.” Dawn insisted as she stood and removed hers and Buffy’s breakfast plates from the table, placing them in the sink, and then turning back to face her sister. “And you really don’t have to be psychic to understand your Dream, Buffy.”



“Oh so ‘you’ understand it then.”



“Yep, and you even said it yourself in your dream… You miss him.”



~~~~



He had raced to get to the airport to get the package, and get it back to the bank before he shift ended. The package contained the will of a Billionaire who was on his deathbed, and was giving half of his fortune to charity and the rest to the Sunnydale bank, which was a bank he had originally started. William knew that if he didn’t get the documents into the bank ASAP, before the man died, that the man’s greedy family could contest the will, and so he raced through the airport, heading for the exit. Once he reached the doors he sighed some in relief.



“Ah Mr. Quartermaine you’re back, I’ll go get your car sir, I’ll only be a second.”



“Thank you, and there’s a hundred dollar bill in it for you if you can get it here even faster.” William stated putting a huge pep in the valet’s step, as he ran off to get the car. William stood nervously, tapping his foot and checking his watch, waiting. He suddenly felt the presence of eyes watching him, and he instinctively shot his head in the direction of his admirer.



“Spike?” A female voice called out to him.



~~~~



“Hey Buffster, where’s the Dawnster?” Xander asked as Buffy took a seat at the table where Xander and Anya were sitting at, silently glaring at one another.



“Yes, where is she. I mean the ‘only’ reason I came was because she insisted that we have a group hug type thing, and she made those big puppy dog eyes at me.” Anya stated as she popped a peanut in her mouth.



“Ah, sorry guys, Dawn told me to give you her apologizes, but she’s spending the night at Janice’s. I think she thought ‘we’ needed to spend some adult quality time with each other. ‘Adult’ being the operative word there.” Buffy said as she wearily looked from Xander to Anya, who in turn looked at each other, Xander longingly and Anya venomously.



“I can be adult.” Xander said.



“Yeah well, I can be a bigger adult.” Anya declared and Buffy rolled her eyes, now knowing that this was going to be a very long, un-fun night.



~~~~



William drove silently, keeping his eyes straight ahead, as if totally unaware of the woman sitting in his passenger seat. She in turn, did the same not knowing what to say. After a long moment however, she finally spoke.



“Nice car.” She said taking a moment to look around her.



“Thanks,” He replied still looking ahead of him.



“And…uhm…nice….uhm…clothes and…and hair. When did you…” She began to ask only to have him cut her off.



“It’s really a long story and I am too tired to tell it tonight.” He said more harshly then he had intended.



“Oh, sorry.” She said lowering her head and looking at her hands. He silently cursed himself for his behavior.



“No I’m sorry, Willow, that was very rude of me.” He said looking at her for the first time.



“You are?” She asked, baffled by his apology.



“Yes, Please forgive my manners, but as I said I am quite tired, which tends to make me somewhat of a grumpy bear.” She watched him with her mouth agape, wondering if she had been mistaken to think this man beside her was Spike. William looked at her, and burrowed his brow. “Now you’re being the rude one, what’s with the staring?”



“Oh I’m sorry it’s just…well you kind of sound funny, and you look so different, and yet it all seems vaguely familiar.” Willow said, as her eyes remained locked onto Spike/William.



“Well you are looking a bit different yourself.” William said hoping to change the subject. “I thought you went away to rest, yet you don’t look very rested.” Again Willow lowered her head.



“Kind of hard to rest with all the nightmares.”



“I can understand and relate to that.” He replied again focusing onto the road. “I’m sorry about Tara, she didn’t deserve to die, and definitely not so viciously. She was a special woman, always treated me decent, even when she probably shouldn’t have.”



“How did you…”



“The demon grapevine, there was talk of what was happening here in Sunnydale, all the way in Africa. Talk of the crazed Witch hell bent on revenge. I can’t say as I blame you, I probably would have done the same, or worse.” Willow smiled slightly at his understandings. Silence again fell between them for a short time.



“So you went to Africa? What was it like, what did you do?”



“Long story Will,”



“I’ve got time, since I really have no place to be…or go.” She mumbled the last part, totally in vain with a vampire sitting beside her.



“What do you mean, I’m sure your friends are throwing you a ‘welcome home we missed you Willow’ party as we speak.”



“Doubt it. “ Willow said laying her head back and peering up at the stars out the open sunroof. “You do know it’s kind of funny you having a sunroof, right?”



“Yes it’s full of irony and don’t change the subject. Why wouldn’t your pals miss you?”



“Oh…” She sighed sitting upright. “Let’s see, I killed Warren, skinned him alive to be more precise. I also drained and killed Rack, tired to turn Dawn back in to a ball of energy, Kicked Buffy’s ass all over the Magic box, and nearly killed Giles. So, as for a party, I’m thinking not so much. They didn’t even come pick me up from the airport, even though I called and left a message telling them I was back.”



“Whoa…” William replied stunned speechless.



“Yeah…whoa is me.”



“Well I can’t promise you I’ll be a very gracious host, but you’re welcome to come to my place…Uh…if you want.” William nervously offered, and Willow’s smile broadened.



“Yeah…thanks. So uhm…what were you doing in Africa?”



~~~~



The three forms sat at the table in the middle of the crowed bronze, watching as everyone around them dance and had what looked to be loads of fun.



“Ok, so are we done reconnecting?” Anya asked using her fingers to mimic the quotation marks. “Cause I have places to be.”



“Don’t you mean people to curse?” Xander asked sarcastically, and got a dangerous glare from Anya.



“No.”



“Oh so it’s your night off, you’re boss is a swell guy.” Xander continued to egg her on.



“God I wish I could curse you myself.” Anya spat out venomously, making Xander sorry he had upset the woman he still loved desperately.



“Come on guy, stop it.” Buffy finally jumped in. “We’re suppose to be bonding here, you know forgiving and forgetting type of…stuff.”



“I was the wronged party here.” Anya defended as Xander rolled his eyes.



“Oh here we go again.” He mumbled.



“I was left at the alter, the only one here that should be forgiving and forgetting is me, and I don’t want to…EVER!” She emphasized looking directly at Xander, who sighed heavily and looked down at his feet. “And I’m leaving. The next time you guys want to have a forgiveness meeting invite Willow, and leave me out of it. Besides, I think she needs forgiveness more then anybody.” Anya said as then stood and walked out. Buffy and Xander looked after her as she walked out of the Bronze.



“I miss Willow.” Buffy blurted out.



“Yeah, ditto.”



~~~~



“Oh wow…” Willow said now gulping at the wine William had given her as they now both sat around the fireplace, which was ablaze.



“You said that already.” William said smiling kindly at the woman before, feeling quite relieved to have finally told someone about all that had happened to him.



“I know, but it’s just…wow,” She repeated. “So you’re like Angel now?”



“Oh God no!” William exclaim looking very offended. “It’s not a curse, it’s something I wanted, something I sought out for. Angel and I are nothing alike, in fact the only thing we’ve ever had in common was…” He suddenly paused not wanted to say the name that went with the face that haunted his dreams every moment of every day.



“You both loved Buffy.” Willow finished for him, giving him a sweet yet sadden smile. His jaws clenched at the name, and then just as suddenly his features softened.



“I have a spare bedroom, you’re welcome to it for as long as you need it.” Willow’s smile broadened as did her eyes. “I know what it was like when I first came back, I kind of hid from the world for awhile, but after some time I’ve come out gotten a good job at the bank. Now I have a new life of sorts.”



“And Buffy?”



“Doesn’t know I’m back, I haven’t faced her or the others yet.” William said hanging his head a bit.



“Thanks Spi…William, for the ride, and a place to hide out…” Willow offered to change the subject she could see was paining him.



“For as long as you need.” William reiterated.



“Thanks, and thank you for telling me… trusting me with your soul, and don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. Not that I have anyone to tell anyway.”



“No worries, your friends still love you, and they will come around, just give them a chance.” He encouraged.



“You should take some of that advice too.” Willow said as they stood and moved to take their glasses into the kitchen.



“Doesn’t really apply to me, Will.”



“And why not, Will?” Willow teased with a giggle, which William matched with a chuckle.



“Because they never loved me to begin with,” He replied with downcast eyes and a sad smile, which Willow copied to her face. He took their glasses and placed them into the sink. “Come on let me show you your room, and feel free to re-decorate it if you like.”



“No, I won’t impose on you for too long…” He cut her off by facing her and staring at her sternly.



“I told you, you’re welcome here as long as you want. I’d like you to stay,” He said turning and walking down the hallway. “I’d like the company.” Willow smiled as she silently followed him.



~~~~



“So how’s the new School Dawnster?” Xander asked as he munched on the pancakes Buffy had made them. It had recently become a familiar scene in the Summer’s house, this new family unit that was Buffy, Dawn, and Xander, who had been coming over a lot more then her ever had.



“Ok I guess, not really different from the other high school, same faces.”



“Ah but the other high school wasn’t built by yours truly.” Xander said beaming with pride, causing Buffy and Dawn to chuckle at him. “And what about you Buffster, how the new job?”



“Well, pays great so are the hours, and I don’t smell like a slaughter house after work.” She said smiling. “So I love it.”



“Well I don’t,” Dawn said as she chewed on her sausage.



“Huh? Why not, I thought you’d like the fact that we are no longer struggling or on that Budget that wouldn't let us splurge.” Buffy stated with a confused look directed at her sibling.



“That’s not the bad part. The bad part comes from you, my sister, at my school at the same time as me.”



“Ahhh, it’s the typical ‘I’m embarrassed of my parent, and I don’t want them at my school while my friends are around’ syndrome. I know it well.” Xander stated with a chuckled.



“No,” Dawn interjected. “It’s the ‘I’m embarrassed by my parent, because she’s always coming up to me to fix my hair, or tell me about cleaning my room, and even spit washing my face, while my friends are around’ syndrome.” Dawn said with a glare shot at Buffy. Xander in turned looked to the slayer in disbelief.



“Please tell me you don’t do that.” Xander said.



“Well… only because I’m trying to help.” Buffy said as the stunned eyes remained on her. “Fine, I’ll stop embarrassing you, so long as you aren’t sloppy, and have done your chores, and cleaned your face.” Buffy said as she stood and took her plate to the sink. Dawn simply rolled her eyes and smiled at her sister despite herself.



“So, you guys ready, I have to get to the site a little early now that I’m the head foreman.” He said again beaming with pride.



“Ok, just let me get my book bag.” Dawn said as she headed for the stairs.



“And I need my briefcase…hehe…Briefcase, instead of Cow and Chicken hat, I love it.” Buffy said with a smile as she headed upstairs. Once in her room she grabbed her briefcase from her bed and then moved to her closet to get a sweater, for the principal kept the school freezing. She opened the closet door and searched around for the sweater to match her outfit. Her hands suddenly grabbed something Leathery, she pulled out the object, and a frown crept to her face. She swallowed hard as her bottom lip began to tremble. She lifted it to her nose and inhaled; it smelt of Nautica cologne, Cigarette smoke, and whiskey. Buffy could feel the tears threatening to fall.



“Hey, you ready?” Dawn called to her from the doorway, causing Buffy to Jump and throw the leather coat into the closet. She then wiped at her eyes before reaching in to grabbing the first sweater she saw, and then turning to face her sister.



“Yup,” Buffy answered as cheerfully as she could, but Dawn narrowed her eyes at her.



“Are you ok?”



“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” Buffy asked with a forced smile.



~~~~



“Hey you,” He said to the woman curled up on the couch. William had gone to do some shopping after he had gotten off work. He had made Willow make him a list of her favorite thing. He moved to the kitchen to put the away, and then he heard what sounded like muffled cries. He stopped what he was doing and moved back into the living room. He looked down at the form on the couch and his heart broke, he then turned his attention to the TV to see what had caused the downpour of tears, it was an old movie. William sat on the opposite end of the couch to where Willow lay curled up, crying. “What’s the matter luv?” He asked and then sat silently for her to reply.



“The Wizard of Oz?”



“Yeah, it’s my favorite, it was Tara’s favorite too.” William closed his eyes briefly and nodded as realization struck. “I miss her.” Willow stated her defenses completely crumbled. William moved to her and enveloped her in his arms, and she clung to him with all of her might, crying.



“Shhhh, don’t cry, please don’t cry.” William pleaded nervously. When his demon was in control he had never known what to do whenever a lady cried nor did he care most times, but now he was completely at a loss. “I know you miss her, I know it hurts, but it will get better.” He consoled as he gently rocked her back and forth. “You know what you need, you need to get out of this apartment for awhile.”



“But I don’t have anyplace to go.” Willow wheezed through her cries and sniffles.



“Sure you do, you can go anywhere you want. Just tell me and I’ll take you. Just please stop crying now, please.” Willow sat back a bit from his embrace as she wiped at her eyes and nose. “Just tell me what you need.”



“I know where I need to go.” Willow announced looking up at William with puffy red eyes, he simply nodded his reply.



~~~~



“Buffy! Come on we’re going to be late!” Dawn yelled up at her sister as she impatiently waited at the base of the stairs.



“Sorry, Dawnie,” Buffy said as she rushed down the stairs. “Ok let’s go.” Buffy and Dawn then made their way to the door. Suddenly Dawn turned back, leaving Buffy to look after her from the door, as the younger sibling disappeared into the kitchen.



“Can’t forget these. Think she’ll like them?”



“She’ll love them, but we can’t stay long, because is night a vamp’s favorite time to play, and I still have to drop you off at Janice’s and then patrol, remember?”



“Ok.” Dawn agreed as they walked out the door.



~~~~



Here Lies

Tara McClay

Born, November 1980

Died, May 2002




Willow stared at the tombstone her face a mask of disgust. William stood close behind her with grief-stricken eyes.



“That’s it?” Willow spoke and William wasn’t sure if she was addressing him or talking to herself, which he discovered just in the couple of weeks she’s stayed with him, was something she did a lot of.



“What’s that luv?” He asked taking a step closer to peer over her shoulder.



“That’s all they put on her gravestone, when she was born and when she died?”



“Looks like.”



“But that’s just so wrong. They didn’t say how wonderful and how beautiful she was. What a great friend, person she was. How having her in this world made it all brighter.” Willow said as fresh tears rolled from her eyes, and William placed his hands on her shoulder.



“There’s not enough room on that stone to even began to tell of Tara’s spirit.” William said in a vain attempt at consoling.



“Then there should be a bigger stone.” She said looking back up at him with pleading eyes, and he could only bow his head.



“Willow?” A soft voice called out and Willow’s face turned to see who had spoke it, while William stood frozen for he knew who the voice belonged to. “Willow is that you?”



“Hello Buffy,” Willow said as she walked towards the woman who now stood before her and the younger girl who stood close behind. “Dawnie.” Willow addressed the girl with a small smile, but only got an icy glare in return.



“Don’t call me that.” Dawn said through gritted teeth, and Willow became aware that the youngest Summers girl had not yet forgiven her.



“Ah, when…when did you get back, why didn’t you call?” Buffy asked hoping to dispel the growing tension.



“For a couple of weeks now, and...ah…I did call from the airport, needed a ride, but I guess you didn’t get the message.” Buffy frowned in confusion and then turned to Dawn who folded her arms across her chest and looked away. It was clear now that the message had been erased.



“Sorry,” Buffy apologized.



“It’s ok, William was there and he gave me a ride, and I’ve been staying with him since I got back.” Willow announced nonchalantly without much thought.



“William?” Buffy questioned and an intrigued Dawn turned her attention back. Willow’s face paled as realization struck that she had just spilled something that she knew William wasn’t ready for.



“Ah, Oh, Uhm…” Willow stammered, and then William saved her.



“Hello Buffy.” William turned and spoke softly and both Buffy and Dawn’s eyes widened at the man, who they hadn’t noticed standing there. Buffy’s mouth and throat grew dry and swallowed down the lump that had formed there, and tried to keep her lips from trembling.



“Spike?” Buffy finally spoke baffled not only by his new appearance but also by the fact that Willow had called him William.



“You’ve been with Spike, this whole time? What has he turned you?” Dawn asked getting more upset by the second not at all happy to see her once favorite vampire, which he painfully too note of.



“No, it’s not like that.” Willow defended as Buffy and William remained silent, eyes locked onto each other’s.



“It makes sense, evil things do tend to stick together.” Dawn spat out and both Willow and William looked as if the air had been kicked from their bodies.



“Dawn, that’s enough.” Buffy interjected.



“No, it’s not, and why are you defending them. Spike tried to rape you and Willow tried to kill you, she tried to kill me, and the whole world, or have you forgotten.”



“No, I haven’t but you know that’s why she went away to get better.” Buffy spoke only to be cut off again by her sister.



“Oh yeah and she looks so much better, hanging out with Spike. You shouldn’t have come here, you don’t belong here.” Dawn declared and Willow looked confused for a moment. “She knew what you were capable of, how dark and dangerous your magic was, that’s why she left you.” Willow gasped as she now understood what Dawn was telling her, and her tears poured down her face. William’s face contorted with anger. “And you disrespect her by coming here after what you tried to do.”



“Dawn that’s enough!” Buffy hissed.



“No! It’s not enough and it never will be enough, not to make up for what she did, what she tried to do.”



“I’m sorry.” Willow said weakly as her face fell along with her tears. “I’m so sorry.”



“Like I said, that’s not enough.” Dawn continue just as William stepped up in between Willow and Buffy.



“Yes it bloody well is, enough.” He said in a near growl, causing both Buffy and Dawn to take a couple of steps back. “It’s not the time nor place bit. You should show respect, if not for Willow or me, then for Tara. She forgave Willow, she loved Willow, and just because you’re pissed at her and me, that doesn’t give you the right to belittle that love.”



“What do you know about love?” Dawn continued defiantly. “You don’t hurt the people you love, you don’t try to rape the woman you say you love, nor sleep with her friends. That’s not love.” William simply glared at the girl before him, now wondering where the child he had loved and cared for had gone.



“Well, I guess cold-heart bitchiness is genetic.” He said coldly and then turned his back to the two girls to address Willow, and Buffy gulped back impending tears at his words, which she knew had been directed at her as well. “You ready to leave luv? We can come back later when it’s less crowded.” Willow who was completely broken, simply nodded her head and leaned into William’s awaiting arms.



“Willow, you can’t stay with Spike. You should come home with us.” Buffy offered.



“No she shouldn’t.” Dawn quickly interjected.



“Dawn please.” Buffy shot her sister a look and Dawn clamped her lips closed. “Will, it’s not safe to be with Spike, you know that.” Buffy said avoiding the eyes of the man she now spoke about.



“No, it’s ok. William won’t hurt me, he hasn’t even tried to hurt me, besides he has a soul now and he still has the chip so he can’t, and…oops.” Willow said as she looked up at William apologetically. Buffy and Dawn’s mouth’s dropped and they looked at the man stunned.



“Oh boy.” Dawn said rolling her eyes upward a bit.



“Who, huh, what?” Buffy babbled as she continued to eye the man, who now that she looked, seemed like a complete stranger to her. Not only his clothes and hair was different, but his entire demeanor.



“I’m sorry Will, I know you wanted to tell them in your own time.” Willow said and William gave her a smirk.



“It’s ok luv, it doesn’t really matter anymore.” William said. “Come on let’s get you home.” He then led Willow off, leaving Buffy and Dawn still in a stunned state.



~~~~



“Wait, Willow’s back and with Spike?” Xander asked trying to make sense of the story Buffy and Dawn were telling, they nodded. “Why didn’t you stop her, is she crazy. She can’t stay with Spike it’s not safe.”



“Sure it is he’s still got that chip.” Anya offered as she sat at the table leafing through a magazine. She had once again reluctantly decided to join the others in a ‘meeting’ this time at the local coffee shop. “And now that he has a soul, I’m sure he won’t hurt Willow.”



“What?” Xander exclaimed as he looked at his former fiancée as if she had grown another head.



“You knew Spike had a soul?” Buffy question the newly reenlisted demon. “And you didn’t tell m… us?”



“No, why would I?” Anya asked now looking at Buffy curiously. “Besides I didn’t think you’d care.”



“I don’t” Buffy spat out quickly.



“Wait, Spike is now soul boy jr.” Xander asked hoping to clarify, and Anya, Buffy, and Dawn all nodded their heads. “Oh boy!” He said rolling his eyes a bit.



“What’s with the ‘oh boy’s’ first Dawn now you.” Buffy demanded.



“Well, Buffy you have a thing for vampires, just admit it, you do. And especially the ones with souls.” Dawn stated. “And you and Spike had a thing before, and you even said yourself it was over because he was a ‘soulless demon’, who couldn’t be trusted, but now he’s got a soul, all of your defenses and excuses are gone.”



“Yeah, and we’ve already been there and done that with you and loving the soulful vampire.” Xander threw in. “And please tell me we’re not going there again.”



“No, It doesn’t change anything. Spike is not Angel.” Buffy said, trying to convince herself more that anyone else.



“No, and he might not even love you.” Anya interjected never taking her eyes from the magazine she was now reading.



“What are you talking about, Spike loves Buffy.” Dawn stated in defense of her sister.



“Yeah in a very obsessive, stalker, rapist kind of way.” Xander threw in sarcastically, causing all the women at the table to glared and then roll their eyes at him.



“Yes, Spike did love you Buffy,” Anya said with a huff, rolling her eyes as she now looked to the others, suddenly quite annoyed by their presence. “I was referring to William. It’s no longer Spike we’re talking about here, but the soul of the man he use to be. Maybe ‘William’ doesn’t love you.”



“Oh.” Buffy said as she stared off into space.



~~~~



“Hey, I made you some hot chocolate.” William said from the doorway, looking in on Willow who sat on her bed, still wet from her long hot bath, which he had drawn for her. “Even put little marshmallows in it.” He added and Willow threw him a small yet sweet smile.



“Thanks.” She replied and taking that as an invitation William moved further into the room, setting the cup on the bedside table.



“You know you can’t keep sulking like this. Dawn didn’t mean that gibberish she was spouting, Lil bit is just pissed right now, but she’ll get over it.”



“No, she meant it and she was right. I didn’t…I don’t belong. I was stupid to think I could just come back and everything would be the way it was. It never can be again, because of what I did.”



“That’s not…” William began to defend her but saw the look she was giving him, and thought better of it. “Ok maybe some of that is true, but they’re your friends, your family and they will forgive you, maybe not a soon as you would like them too, but in time. Buffy I think already has, she offered for you to move back into her place didn’t she?”



“Will, that was only because she didn’t want me here with you.”



“So I gathered.” William said as his head ached in remembrance of Buffy’s cold words.



“And believe me it had nothing to do with my safety.” Willow stated as if reading his thoughts. “Ever since that whole thing with Anya, even though she never came out and said it, Buffy developed trust issues when it came to you and her friends, those of the female persuasion that is.” This bit of knowledge suddenly intrigued William. “She was hurt and very jealous.”



“Nice try at changing the subject, luv, but this isn’t about me and Buffy.” William said as he folded his arms across his chest and smirked at Willow. “That’s water under the bridge.”



“Really, so just like that you got over Buffy? I wish I could that so easily.”



“It’s not a matter of ‘getting over her’ but simply understanding that I can’t change what happened between us, God know I wish I could, but I can’t. I’ve learned to live in the moment, and look to the future, not dwell on the past. I did too much of that that first month after I first got my soul back, and it drove me crazy.”



“Really?” Willow asked as she looked up at him wanting to hear the whole story.



“Yeah, but I got through it and you’ll get through this, I promise you will.”



“I wouldn’t have gotten as far as I have if it hadn’t been for you Will. Thank you.” He rolled his eyes at her, now uncomfortable, still unable to take a compliment. “I mean that, you’ve made me feel welcome and gave me friendship when I didn’t think I had nor deserved it.”



“We all make mistake, and I know because I’m the King of mistakes, and I’ve done many things I’m now ashamed of, and want more than anything to take back, but I can’t. All I can do now is learn and try to do better. I don’t want all those lives I’ve taken, all their deaths to be in vain, not anymore. Now, I have to go out for a bit, some business I have to take care of. There’s a couple of boxes on the couch, they're for you, you’ll know what to do with them, and I expect you to be ready when I get back.”



“Get ready, for what?” Willow asked her brows arched as she regarded the vampire now leaving th room.



“We’re going out.” He said as he disappeared around a corner.