Author's Chapter Notes:
The idea of Buffy and Riley kissing makes me gag so I'm not going to be graphic with them. Thankyou to everyone who has reviewed so far, ou guys are fantastic
A young woman walked along the bush path, she loved taking long walks in autumn. A stick cracked behind her and she jumped slightly, shaking her head at herself she continued walking.

After a few minutes she began to feel anxious, every few seconds she’d hear a stick crack or a footstep, but when she turned to look, no one was there not even an animal.

Increasing her pace she wrapped her arms around herself and cursed her heels as they occasionally got stuck in the cracks of the uneven bricks.

Her brown eyes looked around as she heard another crack ‘Oh God what’s happening?’ she thought before beginning to run. She’d recently been through a stalking incident and had become incredibly on edge.

She threw looks over her shoulder every now and then to see if anyone was following her. She cried out as she tripped on an uneven brick. Her bare knees scraped across the surface and she quickly got up again. She didn’t know who was following her, but she suspected that who ever it was wouldn’t be as kind as to wait for her to get up.

The noise now became clear, footsteps...rather loud ones. Her breath came in short gasps as she fought for air and tried to overpower the burning muscles in her legs. She fell forward as she was violently struck across the back of the head.

The last thing she saw before passing out was a man with sandy brown hair and hazel eyes that only held malice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Willow looked at the two girls “what?”She said in shock, pretending she never said anything in the first place.

Dawn gave a bark of laughter “no, no way are you getting out of this one!” the brunette grabbed Willow’s arm and all three girls made their way into Dawn’s room.

“When did they go out??” Dawn exploded as soon as the door was closed.

Willow stuttered out an answer “well...u-um t-they went out the y-year before she met Riley”.

Dawn’s eyes widened.

“Why did they break up?” Anya asked as she plopped down onto the bed.

“I’m uh not sure exactly, all I know is that it ended before Buffy went to that design course for two weeks”.

Before any of the girls could say anything they heard Darla yell “Lunch is ready!”

Anya stood “this is not over”.

Willow cast a worried glance, she felt bad enough for letting Buffy’s secret slip and now she’d be cornered after lunch and be squeezed until there was no information left.

Buffy and Spike came through the door just as Dawn finished coming down the stairs.

“Hey, did you get your cigarettes?” she asked a little too cheerily.

“Yeah” he took off his coat and Buffy did the same.

“That’s good,” Dawn bit her lip to stop the words and walked into the other room.

Buffy and Spike frowned before going to join the people in the dining room.

After everyone was seated Buffy noticed the absence of her husband.

“Has anyone seen Riley?”

“Not since you left.” Angel said and took a bite of his chicken.

“Come to think of it I think I saw him....outside, you know near the cars.” Darla’s brow creased as she tried to recall the memory.

Buffy frowned “I’ll go look for him”. She stood and excused herself from the table, causing several people to give her a worried look before going back to their meals.

Buffy walked out to the cars and scanned the grounds for her husband ‘Where is he?’ she thought as she ventured further down the long driveway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everyone finished their meals and Buffy was yet to be seen.

Willow made a desperate attempt to avoid Anya and Dawn but the young teen and the crazy blonde blocked her off.

“Oh hey guys, nice meal wasn’t it” Willow flushed under their stares, she’d never been good at lying.

Dawn looked around the room, seeing it empty she spoke “Why did Buffy and Spike break up?”

Willow sighed, “Fine, it was too difficult for him to keep it a secret and the feelings scared her”.

Dawn sat down on one of the wooden chairs “What?”

Spike stopped short of entering the dining room, he could hear the girls talking and wasn’t sure whether to interrupt them.

“Why did Buffy and Spike break up?”

Spike froze, now he definitely was interested, he hadn’t thought Buffy would tell anyone.

“Fine it was too difficult for him to keep it a secret and the feelings scared her”.

Spike sighed, that had been true.

(Flashback)

Buffy walked into Spike’s room, eyes full of fury.

“What were you thinking William?” She looked madder than hell, for the first time that day he actually regretted what he did.

“Buffy...” he started.

“No! What the hell were you thinking with that stunt?” She glared at him and he could practically see the waves of anger rolling off her.

“I just don’t want to hide this anymore!” his regret had turned into frustration.

“Well we have to!” she seethed.

“Why Buffy? Why do we have to hide this great thing we have?” now he was just pissed.

“Think about it! If this ever went away it would be too hard! No one would no how to act around us, and they’d treat us like we were fucking glass!”

“Buffy...” He tried to hold her gaze

“Then you go and send me roses, with S.G on the card, you weren’t even careful! People crack codes Spike! If you do that again people are going to know!”

“Why do you think that’s such a bad thing!? If we don’t break up then there will be no bloody reason for them to act fragile! Shows how much faith you have in us!”

Buffy held back tears “I have faith William! I started this relationship so I do believe in us!”

Truth be told, Buffy didn’t want to fight. She wanted to let him hold her and wanted to fall asleep in his arms, but there were some problems that couldn’t be pushed aside.

“If you believed in us, you’d tell our friends” he said with an edge of hurt on his words.

“If you cared about me, you’d wait until I was ready!” Buffy felt a sob escape her.

Spike walked over and embraced her, planting kisses on her cheeks her nose and finally her lips.

Buffy pulled back and pushed him away “No! You can’t just kiss me and expect things to be ok!” she took a few steps back from him and felt the fight slowly drain from her body.

“I can’t do this anymore William” she looked him in the eyes and felt tears run down her cheeks.

He gave her a look of shock and hurt “what?”

“I can’t be with you anymore”.

The silence hung in the room for what seemed like hours.

“No, Buffy please” Spike walked over to her and dropped down in front of her.

“Give us a chance love” she saw unshed tears in his eyes and felt her heart break.

Buffy closed her eyes as she fought her emotions.

“This can’t end love, I can’t go through my life without you, not seeing you everyday not getting to touch you, hold you, kiss you, talk to you, call you up at random times just to tell you I love you”.

Buffy’s face crumpled as more tears fell “No please don’t say that!”

“Please love, don’t let this end” he looked up at her with tears in his eyes.

“It already has.”

(End flashback)

Spike closed his eyes and remembered the exact moment his heart had broken.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“There you are. I missed you at Lunch” Buffy said as she approached Riley.

Riley looked startled to see her but recovered quickly “Hey babe.”

“Where did you go?" she asked as they started to walk up to the house.

“An old friend of mine was up here so I went to meet him for a bit”.

“Oh ok, well come on, Darla has a fantastic roast chicken”.

“Actually I have to go and do one more thing; it will only take me twenty minutes I promise”.

Buffy pouted “fine” she gave him a smile and leaned up for a kiss which he gladly returned.

A loud cough from behind them made them break apart.

“Be careful you might choke on each others tongues.” Dawn commented dryly.

Riley frowned “Be back soon”.

As the couple exchanged goodbyes Dawn noticed something red on the bottom of Riley’s jeans, she squinted...that looked like blood.

She frowned, she’d talk to Angel later, and maybe he’d be able to help her figure Riley out.

TBC...


Chapter End Notes:
This is the point n the story where you write your thughts about the chapter in that little box :)