Author's Chapter Notes:
As stated in the summary this fic was done for the seven_seasons ficaton. A HUGE thank you goes to henriettaholden for being an absolute angel and betaing this for me. So any mistakes are mine and mine alone. I hope you like what I have done.
~~~~~*~*~~~~~

Her voice echoed down the dark corridor. There was no answer.

“Riley? Riley. Are you here? Where are you?” Buffy didn’t know why she was at the high school or why she was walking around the rubble, calling out Riley’s name over and over. But she knew she was dreaming. She had to be. For some reason she felt as though she could find him here even though she had seen him fly off in that military helicopter only days before.

Stupid vivid slayer dreams.

She found herself standing where Riley had once stayed; the only thing remaining was an empty can of food and a plastic wrapper. Sighing, she started walking again, down one of the few corridors that was still mostly in tack after the massive explosion they had caused so long ago. Classrooms were dark and empty, crumbling and broken. She walked down the stairs that was covered with debris, being careful of her footing.

Memories began to fill her as she walked past where the cafeteria use to be. The echo of laughter from friends and classmates seem to linger though the destroyed tables and chairs. Buffy paused for a moment, peering into the dank room. The vague smell of rotting flesh still lingered in the place. She started again, and strangely found herself walking towards the library. It was almost like instinct, pulling her there. As she approached the doors she glanced around, remembering the sights and sounds that used to fill the area. The letters LIBRARY still hung above the door, barely clinging to the wall as she glanced up. She would never forget the first time she had stepped in here. Giles had scared her half to death.

A muffled bang came from the destroyed room in front of her and Buffy quickly found herself slipping into stealth mode, creeping quietly towards where the noise had came from. The library was dimly lit but seemed to be in better shape then she remembered. In fact, it actually had four walls and a floor. Debris was still strewn everywhere from the explosion and Buffy even spotted some flesh rotting on one of the mangled bookshelves. Trying to remind herself that she was dreaming, she closed her eyes and sucked in a deep breath. When she opened them, she felt as though she had stepped back in time. Everything was how it was before her and Giles had dragged in the explosives to blow up the Mayor. The table where she and the gang often sat was covered in books and she could almost see Xander sitting there with his legs propped up on the table, swinging on two legs of the chair. She glanced at the book cage, reminding her of Oz. Life back then seemed so complicated back then but really it was so simple. She missed that.

Pushing her memories away Buffy focused on the not so natural noise coming from Giles’ office. The familiar British voice of her watcher filled the air but she couldn’t quite make out what he was saying. Buffy inched closer, curiosity getting the better of her.

“Now where could it be? I know it’s got to be around here somewhere.” The sound of draws being pulled open and closed cut though the air. “Surely it’s here.” Thump, bang, thud. “Oh bloody hell! Well it’s definitely not in there.” More thumping sounds. “That spatula has to be here somewhere surely.”

Confused, Buffy crept around the counter and up to the window before peering into the room. The room was filled with the light of the midday sun and it was a mess, although Giles wasn’t making it any better. Partly burnt papers and books had been tossed to the ground in his haste to search the place. Giles had stopped to clean his glasses, his eyes darting frantically around the room as he did so. He pushed the glasses back up on his nose and grasped a box with the other, spilling the contents onto the still standing desk. He hastily shoved the papers and the charred remains around before huffing in frustration. He tossed the box to the floor and grabbed another, giving it the same treatment as the first.

What on earth was he doing?

Buffy shook her head, deciding to go help him. She reached for the door handle of the office. Another dissatisfied huff drifted through the closed door and Buffy reached for the door handle.

“Buffy! Oh thank goodness I found you. I have been looking for you everywhere.” Buffy spun on her heels to be confronted with Willow, her red hair long and matte. She was wearing a brown jumper and a deep red swishy skirt. Her eyes were wide, filled with panic. Buffy raised her eye brows at her friend. She looked so young..

“Huh?”

“Class is about to start soon, you know, Trig? I don’t wanna be late.”

“Huh?”

“You know class, Buffy. Where you go and sit at a desk and do actual mind stimulating activities.”

“Um, yeah hang on a sec Will, I just need to see Giles.” Buffy turned her attention back to the door, hearing another thud, followed by more mumbling laced with British curse words. Buffy placed her hand on door handle before turning it and pushing the door open. She took a step forward, into the room.

Only, she wasn’t in Giles’ office. She wasn’t even at the school anymore. Confused, Buffy looked around, trying to figure out where she was. The darkened shapes around her began to form the room she knew as Xander’s basement. What on earth was she doing here? The room was dark except the flickering of the TV. Xander sat in the orange arm chair, a slightly amused look playing on his face as he watched the TV. He held a bowl of popcorn in one hand as the remote rested in the other, almost slipping out of his hand his grip was so loose.

“Xander? What on earth are you watching?” Willow asked, emerging from Xander’s bathroom. She walked straight past Buffy, as if she wasn’t even there. Almost robotically, Xander placed the remote on the coffee table beside him before placing his hand into the bowl.

“Howard the duck.” He replied simply without letting his eyes wander from the television. He stuffed a few of the popped kernels into his mouth, chewing with his mouth closed. Buffy let her eyes dart to the TV watching as an oversize duck stood talking to two people.

“Huh?”

“Howard the duck. Did you know that George Lucas was executive producer of this movie?” Willow shook her head, heading over to the lounge.

“Xander, I didn’t even know this movie existed until right now.” She plonked herself down onto the side of the lounge, leaning on the arm rest. She directed her gaze to the TV, transfixed by the images.

“Aww, what a cute little duckie!” She cooed. “Where on earth did you find this anyway? It looks way old.”

“Got it off e-bay with a whole bunch of other stuff.” Xander looked at Willow briefly. “Well Anya got it for me. Now shh, the good part is about to start.” Just then, Buffy heard heavy steps down the stairs. Turning, she saw Giles as he jumped down over the last part of the stairs and made a bee line towards Xander’s makeshift kitchen.

“Thank goodness you’re all here.” Xander and Willow exchanged glances before looking back at the TV. Buffy moved towards Giles, who looked quite panic stricken.

“Giles, what’s wrong?”

“I need to find it. It’s most important.” He started searching in the sink, pulling pots and cups up to look underneath.

“Giles. What are you looking for?” Giles sighed.

“Buffy, I really don’t think...”

“Giles!” He placed the things he had nestled in his arms back on the sink before pulling open a drawer.

“The spatula, Buffy.”

“The what?” Giles ignored her, still looking though the draws.

“Oh wait, is this like the cheese guy thing?” Buffy asked, she didn’t get an answer but instead saw Willow clap her hand over her mouth.

“Oh, tell me that they didn’t just do that?” Willow squeaked from the lounge. Buffy raised her eyebrows and glanced at her friend who was staring at horror at the TV.

“Oh yeah, they totally just did.” Xander replied, stuffing another handful of popcorn into his mouth.

“Um, ok. I’m going to leave you guys to it. I’m going to go patrol or something.” Buffy trailed off. Buffy took one more glance at Giles over his shoulder before heading for the stairs. She had taken two steps before she heard Giles mutter something.

“What was that?” Buffy asked, turning around to face him. He again didn’t answer her, instead, moving to search though Xander’s tools.

“Fine, I get it, I’m going.” Buffy sighed. As she turned back to the stairs she felt herself hit something cool and solid. Gasping, Buffy felt hands wrap around each of her upper arms.

“Hello cutie.” Buffy snapped her head up to be confronted with a set of crystal blue eyes staring back down at her, sparkling in the dimly lit room. Just what she didn’t need. Or so she thought.

TBC...


Chapter End Notes:
*bats eyelashes and gives puppy dog eyes* So? Did you like it?