Author's Chapter Notes:
on to the second chapter, thankyou for the reviews so far :)
Spike drummed his fingers on his desk, staring at the phone attentively. If he could focus all of his energy into staring at that phone then maybe, just maybe she would call. How was he supposed to know if she landed safely, what if the plane had crashed? What if he was just being an idiot? He pondered as he mentally slapped himself “Pull yourself together” he muttered.

“You know, they say a watched pot never boils” Cordelia Chase, his secretary and good friend said as she placed some files on his desk “Why don’t you just call her?”

“Cordy you know about the little wager” he said as he flipped through the files.

Cordelia stared at him for a few seconds “you didn’t get a wink of sleep last night did you” it was more of a statement than a question. When he didn’t answer she continued “Spike you look like a wreck, you have dark circles under your eyes and your skin has already taken on a very weird tone” she said, sitting down on the corner of his desk.

“Gee thanks Cordy” Spike said as he glared at her. The brunette gave a pretty smile and raised her hands in the air.

“Alright I’m sorry, but you do know that you’ll be the one who buckles first right?” Cordy gave him a cheeky grin “Come on Spike, Buffy had you whipped after your first date, you’ll be on that phone way before she is” she smiled and laughed when he threw a pack of post-it notes at her. Cordelia left his office and despite all the work he had to do, his eyes kept sliding back over to the phone.

~~

Buffy watched as Dawn said goodbye to Michael, her green eyes went to her mobile, nothing not even a measly text. She sighed and Dawn came and sat next to her “Buffy be strong, it’s time to show him that you’re still the independent girl he met at the office” Dawn smiled and went and grabbed her jacket “Sorry about this, I swear that people just can’t stay away from that house” Dawn had become one of the best real estate agents in her area and was almost always busy.

Dawn kissed her sister on the cheek “be back soon” and with that she was gone, leaving Buffy and two fully functioning phones alone in the apartment.

Buffy bit her lip; this was not going to be easy.

~~

Spike sat in one of the longest meetings that he had ever been a part of. He watched Lilah Morgan drone on and on about Wolfram and Hart, silently willing the bint to bust into flames. Charles Gunn, his sharp legal mind and friend discretely nudged him with his elbow, sending across the message that he should pay attention to the woman. Spike focused on the last ten minutes of the meeting, almost jumping for joy when Lilah checked her watch and announced that they’d have to leave it there for today.

When she and her associates left Spike stood and stretched “What were you thinking about in there?” Gunn asked as he placed important documents in his briefcase.

“Buffy” he muttered and massaged his temple; he’d been blessed with the Godforsaken pain in his head since he’d arrived at work this morning.

“Buffy? Oh your little bet with her” Gunn smiled, he couldn’t believe his friend had done something so ridiculous. “You do realise that this stupid little bet could all be over within the hour if you just gave our favourite blonde a call” Gunn held up his phone, on the screen Buffy’s mobile number was ready to be clicked on.

“No” he said as he backed out of the office, hitting the doorframe on his way out. Gunn laughed as his friend practically ran out of the room, away from the blonde’s number, he clicked the button and the phone began to ring.

~~

Buffy ran out of the bathroom, towel barely covering her as she searched for her phone.

“Spike?” she waited.

“Nope, but the next best thing” Gunn said cheerfully.

“Gunn, hey” Buffy was disappointed but it was still good to talk with her friend.

“Hey Barbie, how are you?”

“I’m alright, it’s really good seeing Dawn again, I’ve missed her so much. What about you?” Buffy sat down on the bar stool.

“I’ve been good, Fred’s still in hospital, she refuses to leave until they’re sure that Emily is alright” Buffy could hear the smile in his voice, Gunn and Fred had been married for two years and had just had a little girl.

“I’m sure Emily is going to be fine” she said confidently.

“Thanks Barbie, look I just called because I just finished tormenting Spike.”

“Charles what have you been doing with my husband?” Buffy said with a smile.

“Don’t worry, he’s still in one piece but you can tell he misses you” Gunn leant against the table.

“Yeah I miss him too” he heard the change in her voice and could tell she was close to crying.

“Buffy, I have to go because I have to be in another meeting in ten minutes, but it was good to speak with you.”

“Okay. Bye Charles.”

Buffy hung up the phone and looked around the apartment; she clicked her tongue twice before she decided to do something productive, bake.

~~

“Buffy, I’m home” Dawn yelled as she hung up her jacket, she walked over to her kitchen and saw her sister stirring some cake mix.

“Dawnie, Hi” Buffy greeted her before going back to mixing. Dawn looked around the kitchen, noticing that there were four other bowls on the counter.

“You’re baking” Dawn said in surprise.

“Yeah, decided I couldn’t be gloomy anymore” the blonde said brightly.

“So you decided to fill my kitchen with baked goods” Dawn stated, looking at the various cupcakes.

“Basically” Buffy poured the mix into a cake tin and put it in the oven.

“I don’t even own an apron” Dawn said looking at the blue and white fabric around her sister’s waist.

“Nope, you don’t so I went out and bought one, I definitely need to get a map of the streets, I got so lost” Buffy laughed and took off the apron.

“Buffy, I left you alone for an hour and a half and you turned into Martha Stewart” Dawn grabbed her sisters wrist to stop her from grabbing a cake.

Buffy turned to her younger sister and suddenly lunged for the phone.

“No! No Buffy!” Dawn tackled her sister to the ground and grabbed the phone out of Buffy’s grip.

Buffy went to speak but Dawn clamped her hand over the blonde’s mouth “no way, listen to me...OW! You bitch you bit me!” Dawn pulled her hand back and looked at the teeth marks.

Buffy glared at her sister then reached for the phone, of course this was harder to do when you were being held down by another fully grown woman.

~~

Spike tapped his pencil against the desk, willing himself not to grab the phone and call Buffy. He tapped the pencil faster and faster, jumping when Liam O’Conner entered his office. He rolled his eyes “What do you want?” he asked in annoyance.

Liam and Spike went way back to when the business first started out and since then they had disagreed and fought about every single thing you could possibly fight about, topics ranging from types of presidents to fights between Astronauts and Cavemen.

“You have a file that I need” he said, leaning casually against the doorframe. Spike looked around and grabbed the file to his right, holding it out to the slightly taller man.

“What no lame insult to go with it?” Liam gave him a slightly surprised look.

“Not today you poofter” Spike went back to tapping his pencil, ignoring Liam’s presence.

Liam was about to leave but quickly turned and gave Spike a smug grin “I hear your wife’s in Rome, just so happens that I have to fly there tomorrow, it should be fun, maybe I’ll take her out for a few hours, after all that’s what good friends do” Liam smiled that smarmy smile before he left.

Spike clenched his jaw; Buffy had become good friends with Liam ever since her first day. They had had a romantic past and that just pissed Spike off even more. Now that Buffy was his, Angel had been stirring Spike up as much as he could but he still managed to play the concerned friend for Buffy.

Spike looked down and noticed that the pencil had snapped in half under his constant tapping. Bugger this it was time to get hammered.

~~

Buffy grabbed her phone as it started to ring “Hello.....Liam hi, how are you....yep I’m in Rome visiting my sister.....really that’s great...sure we can meet up.....Don’t trouble yourself I’ll meet you at the airport, alright bye” Buffy smiled.

“Who was that?” Dawn asked as she ate some of the icing off of her cupcake.

“Liam, he’s coming into Rome tomorrow for a conference or something, he just wanted to meet for lunch” Buffy gave a smile and sat down on the couch.

Dawn looked at her sister nervously, things were about to go haywire, especially if Spike was dragged into it.


Chapter End Notes:
did you like?