Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first actual story I’ve ever posted anywhere. Hope I haven’t scared you off already. It’s short and it’s finished. There are four chapters and I will post one per day. Any and all comments will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks for taking a look. And thank you, B.
A VERY LITTLE TALE – CHAPTER 1

The sun had been shining a minute ago, but now clouds threw a shadow over the yard. There was the usual crowd out behind the school. They were in clumps and in pairs and in singles. Doing what they usually did this time of day. Near the center of all the activity, one pair stood well away from another pair. It was a pair of girls and a pair of boys.

One of the girls said to the other, “Willow! Willow! Look, look, there they are again! They keep looking over here. What’s it for? What are they doing?”

Willow’s straight hair hung down over her face, and she barely looked up. She said, “I dunno, Buffy. Maybe they’re retarded. They look retarded to me. I wished they’d stop. It’s way creepy the way they’re always looking at you.”

Buffy was pretending not to look over at the two boys. She stopped and spun around on her friend. She squealed, “Me! What do you mean? They’re not looking at me. Are they? Oh my gosh! Maybe he is. I mean them, um, they. Maybe they are looking at me. Oh my gosh! I don’t know what to do.”

One of the boys was kicking repeatedly into the dirt, sending little clouds of dust and sand up into the air around them. He stopped, glanced over at the two girls, and said to the other boy, “Are you completely crackers, Angel-Bangel? Sum-dummers is way uglier than Rosie-booger.”

Angel shoved the other boy in the shoulder. Spike stumbled sideways but bounced back with a shove of his own. He started kicking at the dirt again. Angel said, “Yeah, maybe you’re right, Spike-ster. I dare you to go over there and tell them that they’re ugly. You could say they are so ugly that they’d stop a clock or break a camera or something.”

Spike looked over at the two girls again. Buffy was clearly acting like she wasn’t looking back at them. Spike said, “That’s retarded, Butthead? You think I won’t do it? I’ll do it. Just watch me.”

“Yeah, yeah, stupid-head. I know, I know. But, check this out. Say it to Willow. Make sure that you tell her that she’s the ugly one, not Buffy.”

Spike shook his head and said, “What are you talking about, moron? They’re both ugly.” Spike tugged on Angel’s t-shirt. “C’mon, I’ll do it. Come with me part of the way.”

Buffy did a little hop and spun around to face Willow again. “Oh my gosh! Willow! They’re coming over this way. He’s coming. What do I do?”

Willow glanced around nervously and grabbed Buffy’s hand. “I dunno. Let’s run away.” Willow pulled at her friend but couldn’t move her. Afraid to run off on her own, she ended up just hiding behind Buffy instead.

Buffy faced the approaching boys. She tried not to smile at them, but didn’t quite succeed. She stopped, however, and frowned instead when Angel stopped halfway over and Spike continued to advance. He was walking right up to her with that stupid grin on his face.

Spike stopped in front of Buffy. He tip-toed up and looked over her shoulder at Willow who just ducked down further behind Buffy to protect herself from Spike looking at her. Finally he met Buffy’s expressionless stare.

It was then that Spike noticed just how shiny her pig-tails were. And how bright the green was in her eyes and just how yellow and pink she was. Something grabbed him in the stomach. Something that he’d never felt before. Something that he didn’t understand. Something that told him how neat it was to just look at her. Especially this close. He realized then he’d never really done that before. Never even really looked at her.

Buffy watched Spike’s grin turn into something else. Confusion, or was it that he was just dumb or something. She didn’t know. She just wished he’d go away. She thought Angel was coming over to say something. Or just walk by like he’d done sometimes before. But he didn’t. Now it was just stupid Spike staring at her.

Buffy blurted out, “What?! What do you want?!”

Spike blinked and swayed back a little bit at the sound of her voice. He said, “Uh, I… um, you’re, you’re ugly. And, uh, you’ve got stupid hair. And…, and…, and Angel doesn’t like you.” What, Spike thought. Why’d he say that last part?

Buffy backed up and bumped against Willow behind her. She blinked a little tear in her eye. She yelled, “Shut up, Spike! You’re the ugly one. I hate you!”

Her shout snapped Spike out of whatever state he had fallen into. Quickly he looked around and located Mr. Giles. The teacher was busy watching another part of the playground. With a flash, Spike punched Buffy in the arm and pushed her down. He turned to run away and ran right into Angel. Spike started laughing then Angel joined in as the two ran away.

Buffy tried really hard not to start crying. She just sat there pulling blades of grass out of the ground. Willow sat down beside her.

“Are you okay, Buffy? Let’s get a teacher and tell on them.”

Buffy said, “Boys are such jerks. Why do they do that? Hit you in the arm and push you down? I don’t get it.”

“They don’t do that to me. Just you, Buffy. They really are just stupid jerks.” Willow got up and pulled Buffy up with her. “Come on. Recess is almost over. I’ll race you to the door.” Willow only said this to try to cheer Buffy up. She never won a race against her best friend. Or against anyone really.

Buffy sighed trying to sort it all out, “First multiplication tables and then stupid retarded boys. How come third grade is so confusing? Come on. Ready. Set. Go!”

Both girls squealed as they took off running towards Mr. Giles who was calling and waving all the kids back into class.