Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, I feel bad about not updating so here's another chapter for ya.
If You Only Knew

Michelle walked quietly next to Dawn towards the double doors out of the school and into the courtyard. She'd been glad that several of her classes were with Dawn, but she'd had more trouble fitting in than she thought she would.

From the descriptions of American public schools, she'd expected comfortable classes with little structure. Classes full of easy going teens and faculty.

What she found was that the structure was there, just as an undercurrent. Students were encouraged to participate and form their own thoughts. A free thinking form of teaching. Although class discussions were of course part of her studies in the Council, free thinking was not encouraged, just taken note of then passed over.

Even in the most basic of courses, she found herself ahead in several areas, but behind in others. History was like decoding a language. References to periods and wars were often called by unfamiliar names, but, with Dawn's help, she'd caught on to much of it.

Now her day was over and they were walking along with some girls Dawn knew. The girls were friendly, but Michelle was new and unknown to all but Dawn. Suddenly she heard her name intermingled with the conversations taking place between the young ladies.

"Michelle, how did you like your first day?" the girl with medium length brown hair walking beside Dawn asked her.

Michelle pulled her books closer to her chest and smiled at Janice. "It was very interesting. The teachers are all very kind."

Janice waved her statement off. "That's just cuz you're new. Wait till you really get to know 'em," she giggled.

Michelle's smile widened. Things would be ok.

Dawn linked her arms through her friends'. "How about the coffee shop?"

Janice clapped her hands. "Lattes all round?"

Michelle nodded and walked along with them, now feeling more comfortable.

~~`~~

Buffy walked beside Spike, their fingers laced as they listened to the information Ashton had been sharing when the chaos demons interrupted.

"If they weren't lying," he continued over his shoulder to the blondes, "it should be in two nights. At the height of the hour. Midnight."

"What about the talisman itself?" Sam asked him.

"The information is sketchy, only that it is within their grasp." He led them down another street, passing several brick homes. They were tall two- stories, with lovely gardens kept in the raised ground encased in brick. He looked back at Buffy again. "I will ask for your crystal as well now, but you understand, we must stop the Tomar."

Buffy nodded. "I know. Spike and I are going to help as much as we can."

Ashton nodded, knowing a Slayer would. His more pressing question was of Spike, or William the Bloody.

He led them into an alley then turned. Sam gave him a curious look, wondering if mentioning Spike's alter ego to him had been wise.

Buffy and Spike looked around the alley, sure they'd been led here because Ashton was expecting demons.

"Now, if you don't mind," the dark vampire began as he turned and stared down the former vampire in his midst, "I'd like a few questions of my own answered."

Spike let go of Buffy's hand and instinctively stepped forward to partially shield her.

"What questions would those be, mate?"

"Ashton," Sam chastised him.

He shook his head at her. "I must know," he stated simply before looking back at Spike, the man whom he sensed had Slayer's blood in his veins, yet vampiric blood that was aged. All with a human heart beating and warmth burning naturally through his skin. "William the Bloody, how have you become human?"

Buffy shared her stunned expression with Spike then she stared Ashton.

The two blondes from the future had hoped to keep as much as they could of who they were, or to be more precise, why they were, to themselves. Her identity could do little harm, her future would be unaffected, but Spike was an active participant in this time.

"Crap," Buffy whispered under her breath.

Spike tilted his head to the side and gazed up at the larger vampire. "Figured that one out did ya'?"

"Actually, I did," Sam confessed. "I did not realize until you gave Mike your human name."

Buffy gritted her teeth. "You shoulda asked him to call you Randy. They never woulda figured that one out."

Ashton wasn't interested in the banter. "How did you do it?" He looked back at Sam then to Spike again. "How are YOU human?"

Spike closed his eyes and took a cleansing breath before facing the vampire. "I wish I could tell ya, mate. I really do." He felt Buffy's hand meet his again. "All I can tell you is, you can't give up."

Ashton opened his mouth, prepared to say something, then noticed the small gesture Buffy had made, and his brow furrowed.

Sam watched the short exchange and shook her head. There was nothing that could change it. And whatever had happened to Buffy and Spike had been in a time she would in all likelihood never see. If she did, Ashton would still be as he was, and she would be an old woman.

Buffy felt the tension. The weight on Sam's and Ashton's minds seemed to fill the air and hold them in place. Something had to be said. "So, is there anything else good to kill in this town?"

Both the Slayer and the vampire gave her odd looks. "What? It clears my mind," she said frankly.

Sam grinned. "Yeah, we should check the cemeteries." She began to walk, then turned back and faced Ashton. "I do need you to do something for me, though."

"Of course," he said easily.

She looked back at Spike. "Mrs. Walsh would never say anything, but with so many single ladies I don't think you living in my apartment is painting the best picture."

Spike looked back at Buffy, then to Sam. He understood. "I think I remember a place, might still be here-"

"Easier said than done," Sam said and turned to Ashton. "Could you put him up?"

Ashton studied the former vampire. Maybe he would be of help. He looked at the small woman gripping the blonde man's hand. A man. "He would be welcome."

Sam smiled and looked back as Buffy. She seemed happy. Truly alive. Maybe she would be able to answer questions. Give her an idea of what to do. Sam smiled back at Ashton. "Thank you." Then she looked back at the blonde pair. "You are sure you won't mind?"

Spike smiled, a plan forming to help the large Angel impersonator to change his act, and nodded. "Wouldn't want to corrupt those young women's minds."

"Puh-leese," Buffy said and rolled her eyes.

Spike nodded towards Buffy and smiled at Sam. "Corrupting her is work enough."

He received a light smack on the arm from Buffy. "You are so-o-o asking for it."

"Yeah. Unfortunately, I won't be around to get it," he said with some regret.

~~`~~

Giles rifled through the stacks of papers in front of him. Several of the children had chosen their final projects, all for his approval. He was now regretting those approvals, along with the ones to come.

Most of the projects had something to do with the reforming of the Council's structure. At first, it reminded him of the fateful summer that had sparked Willow's interest in the future of Spike and Buffy. He had enjoyed the help and found that the work with the computers was not his worst experience. It had even brought up fond memories of Jenny.

These projects, he thought, would be much the same. They were yearlong and took many hours of dedication to one's specialty. Most of which he'd become more familiar with.

Then the insanity came, and he discovered just how dedicated this group was. He had old diaries, journals, and notes from the last 100 years on his desk, in the den used for the libraries. All of the papers thought to be part of new discoveries for the elder 'Watchers to be'. Those who would hope to take a charge in their career.

"Good lord," he said as he scanned the growing pile.

A young man, Nathan, came walking out of the library containing Watcher's Diaries. "Mr. Giles?"

Rupert set some papers aside and motioned for the boy to come.

He walked over, looking disturbed. "Sir, I was searching for a diary and found this." He handed an aged folder to Giles.

Giles took the thick package and set it out on his desk. There were no markings to indicate what it was, or to whom it belonged. He opened it and scanned several of the pages.

At first it was little, random accounts of a Slayer. Demons, vampires, travel. Whoever kept this had followed his Slayer with dedication. "These look to be the personal notes of a Watcher." He flipped towards the back. The passages were much the same. More fights, more demons, vampires.

Giles closed the folder. "And what would you suppose could be done with this?"

Nathan eyed the yellowed folder. A smile began to form. "I could find out the identity of the Watcher and possibly the Slayer as well."

Giles handed him the folder. "I believe that would be an excellent project."

The boy smiled and walked to a desk nearby, sat and began taking notes.

The Head sighed. He'd wanted to make sure he took part in the activities, unlike his predecessor, but was finding it more taxing than he'd planned. He slipped his glasses off his face and rubbed the bridge of his nose remembering why he wanted to be a fore figure in the children's world. The end result would hopefully be a better Council. One that worked well with the Slayer.

With a little effort, he sat up and replaced his spectacles, awaiting the next child.

~~`~~

Christian sat in the loft of the store going through the books one by one. As large as the libraries were at the Council, there were some books he'd simply never even heard of here. He ran his fingers along the bindings, memorizing titles for later deliberation.

Now, though, he had a mission. There was something about the crystal he should know. Something he knew he'd learned but could not bring from his memory.

He was sure it was a minor detail, something dismissed as a small point, which was why he was having trouble remembering it now. Somehow he felt it was important, though, and it was driving him crazy.

His head pounded, and his eyes hurt from the constant reading. He was a spell caster, and although a large amount of studying was required with any specialty, he'd never been one for the books. He liked the teachings taught by the Wiccans of the Council and the natural elements of magic. It was his gift, but he'd never been the best student.

He looked down at Richard still seated at the table. He still typed away on Willow's laptop. She'd left it behind when her research seemed to be leading to an answer. They might be able to use a locator spell to find out 'where' Buffy was. But the 'when' was still causing problems.

Christian turned back to the books, trying to figure out a spell that could be used to enhance a location spell to also search through time.

Maybe when Willow and Tara returned, the three of them would be able to figure something out.

~~`~~

Sam stepped off the bus with an ease most her age didn’t possess and walked towards the rear, waiting for her bags to be pulled out from under its belly.

The small town reminded her a little of her own. It was greener here, but small and simple. She smiled, wondering if Buffy appreciated it, then knew she had to. She'd wanted to get back here so badly. To friends, family. And to her own future.

Sam saw her bag and stepped forward to take it, but was intercepted by a young man. "Let me help you," he grinned at her.

She smiled back. "No, thank you, young man." And she picked it up with ease.

The boy stood back up and watched the old woman walk away. He'd barely had a chance to try to lift it, but he knew it was heavy.

She was no stronger than your average twenty year old. Of course, the fact that she was well into her eighties was of no consequence, especially when she knew she had yet to look past 60. She had felt stronger lately, and was enjoying it.

With a bounce in her step, she hailed a cab. "Wild Winds, please."

"You got it," the man called over his shoulder after she was seated, and turned on the meter before taking off.

~~`~~

Dawn walked into The Magic Box laughing along with Michelle.

"And that waiter was so-o-o into you. I can't believe you tried to order it all in French."

Michelle smiled. "My French is perfect," she said, as though it would be obvious by her accent. "It is not my fault his is so poor."

Dawn set her books on the counter. "But it was the funniest shoot down to a pickup I've ever seen."

Richard turned his head towards the ladies coming in. "So, you have admirers?"

Michelle walked to the table and set her new textbooks down before seating herself next to him. "An obnoxious waiter is not an admirer."

Richard nodded. "Good." And he turned back to his work on the computer.

Dawn rolled her eyes and mumbled, "Don't be too jealous."

Christian came down the stairs of the loft with three books. "Hello, Dawn."

She smiled, picked up one of her books and a notebook and walked to the research table. "Hi, Christian. Did you guys find anything?"

He set the books down and sat a few seats over from Richard. "Willow has an idea for locating your sister and Spike, but we haven't figured out how to do it."

Dawn crinkled her nose and sat across from him. "Really? What is it?'

He began to explain.

Anya sat behind the counter flipping through a magazine shaking her head. "You can smell the hormones," she said to herself before checking the clock to see how long it would be before Xander was done with work for the day.


Chapter End Notes:
It's short but, hey, Sam is in town. Wonder if she can give the Scoobs a hand?? hmmmm