Author's Chapter Notes:
I've been reading Spuffy fanfiction since I was 12. I havent ever written any. But inspiration struck. Usually when that happens I look for a story like the one I want, but I didn't see one out there.
Chicago, 1942


Buffy stood over the stove and watched as the chocolate melted at the bottom of the pot. Her mother used to make her hot chocolate all the time when she was young. It wasn’t actually very rational since it had always been about ninety degrees outside year-round, but it was delicious non-the-less.


A smile played at her lips. She felt slightly breathless, excited. Buffy had made a new friend. A rarity since minions weren’t usually much with the conversations and were more with the ‘getting themselves killed’ thing. Her name was Amy and she missed human food just as much as Buffy did. Amy was one of Drusilla’s minions. One of their very few females actually. Amy said that the only reason she was even there was because she looked a bit like Drusilla’s favorite doll, Ms. Edith. Buffy had noticed that Angelus liked to surround himself with beautiful women. More than half of his minions were female, and more than half of them were complete airheads. Buffy didn’t have to put up with them for long through. Angelus goes through minions pretty fast, especially the female ones.


Pouring the hot chocolate into mugs, Buffy finally noticed how quiet it had gotten. A feeling of sorrow settled in her stomach. The minions were never this quiet. In fact, they had been louder than usual tonight.


Angelus had decided to meet up with his childers, Drusilla and Spike. They had all been a bit excited about meeting Drusilla and Spike’s minions. Fights had been breaking out all day, an effort to show which minion was the most valued. Buffy had even had to put her fangs up when a few of Drusilla’s bigger and obviously uninformed male minions decided that they wanted to have a “go” at her. Buffy didn’t think anyone else would be trying to have a “go” at her tonight after that show.


She slowly pushed the swing door leading to the living room of the mansion. Peaking into the room, her breath caught in her throat. Ashes swirled in the air and slowly settled onto the marble floor. No more than thirty minutes ago there had been at least twenty minions in the room.


A feminine cry sounded through the room followed by a way too familiar male grunt. It was coming from a room at the top of the stairs. A growl came from the couch. A leg shot out and kicked the coffee table across the room. It hit the wall, splintering. Buffy stepped into the room. To her surprise, a tired and irritated looking Spike was sprawled across the coach.


She felt dizzy. Buffy had been avoiding him like the plague. She remembered Spike back when he was still William. They hadn’t had much interaction since she was more of Angelus’ minion. He had been love struck by Drusilla. Charmingly in love and followed her like a puppy-dog. Spike had been kinder than any other master vampire she had ever met. But he had obviously changed quite a bit since the middle eighteenth century. From what she had seen in the last twenty-four hours, he was nothing but anger and violence. And frankly, it scared the shit out of her. William the Bloody was one scary son of a bitch and she did not want to be on the receiving end of his rage.


Spike wasn’t Angelus. Angelus could torture and rape her for hours, but he wouldn’t kill her. For whatever reason, Angelus preferred to keep her around. Buffy had no doubt that Spike would kill her in a proverbial heartbeat. She was just another minion to him.


Buffy should have run. Spike was obviously not in the mood to be messed with. Spike was obviously in a minion killing mood. A minion-killing Spike plus a minion Buffy could equal disaster but before she could stop herself, she was slowly making her way towards the stronger vampire. Buffy stopped right in front of him. He seemed lost in thought and didn’t acknowledge her. Or maybe he just didn’t notice her.


William the Bloody is a thing of beauty. She had always thought so but seeing him now confirmed it. His hair was different. Short, bright white, and messy. He wore black dress pants and a white button up shirt. Spike looked so disheveled. His shirt was held closed by two buttons and half tucked in. Buffy had been trying not to stare at the smooth, pale skin peaking out from behind his shirt when he finally looked up at her with beautiful and confused electric blue eyes.


Her brain might as well have shut down at that point.


“I, uh,” She giggled nervously, mentally slapping herself for acting like a silly school girl in love. Buffy looked down at the mugs in her hands and slid a hopeful smile over her lips. “Hot chocolate?”


Spike looked surprised. Buffy took a step back, complete and utter terror on her face. Did she really just offer him hot chocolate? If it had been Angelus, he would have laughed in her face and viciously beat her for thinking he’d want something as weak and human as hot chocolate. But if this had been Angelus, she wouldn’t have wanted to comfort him so badly that she’d actually make the mistake of offering. She turned and practically ran into the kitchen, almost slipping on the ashes on the way there. She was such an idiot. There was no way she was going to make it through the night. What was she thinking?


Buffy hurriedly set the mugs on the counter and grabbed her coat, ready to make a heady exit out the backdoor. She had no problem hiding out in the sewers until the sun went down. But she didn’t even take a step towards the door before the kitchen door opened.


Frozen in place, she wondered if he would make her hurt extra for running like a coward. She knew Angelus would. Buffy wondered if she should turn around and face him. If she was going to dust, she wouldn’t mind the last thing she saw to be his handsome face. She decided against it. It could be interpreted as defiance. Angelus would make her hurt extra for that.


She listened to his bare feet pad on the floor until she sensed him behind her. Buffy took a deep breath in an attempt to keep from shaking too noticeably. He was so close that she could feel his cold breath on her bare shoulder. A thrill went through her. Buffy had unintentionally kept quite a few of her human habits, including breathing, despite its current uselessness. It seemed that Spike had as well.


Buffy jumped when he reached for one of the mugs in front of her. His deep voice rumbled through her, “I haven’t had hot chocolate in ages. There any of those lil’ marshmallows around ‘ere?”


Spike walked around her to check one of the cabinets. Buffy turned to face him with a confused look on her face. Her brows furrowed as she tried to figure out what exactly was happening. Had he staked her already? Because this was the last thing she had expected.


He glanced over at her and misinterpreted her expression. Spike gave her an incredulous look and said, “Don’t tell me you’ve never put them lil’ marshmallows in your cocoa a‘fore. Bloody brilliant, they are.”


Stumbling back a bit, Buffy dazedly reached for another cabinet and pulled out a bag of miniature marshmallows. Spike’s face lit up and he actually smiled as he took the bag from her shaking hands. He was about to toss a handful into his mug when another womanly cry sounded through the room.


Buffy shifted uncomfortably. She was used to Angelus’ insatiable sexual appetite and was forced to listen to it often, even participate. But she had to assume that the reason Spike was so upset was because it was Drusilla up there with Angelus. Her heart broke for Spike.


When she had first been sired, Angelus had spent about a week obsessed with her. They had barely left the bedroom once during that time. Buffy had been convinced that she was in love until he tossed her aside for the next girl. And the next girl, and the next girl.


His smile dropped and he tossed an annoyed glare towards the ceiling.


“Angelus is a bloody wanker.” Spike muttered, he chucked a handful of marshmallows into the other mug as well. He pulled a chair out at the table and sat down, placing his mug in front of him and the other in front of the chair beside him. Spike motioned for her to take the seat next to him. “Why couldn’t he have just stayed away?”


Buffy hesitantly sad down and wrapped her cold fingers around the warm mug. She’d had marshmallows in her hot cocoa before but this tasted like heaven. Again, she wondered if she had been staked. As she opened her mouth to speak, she prayed that she wouldn’t say something stupid, “Well, you know Angelus. He only wants what’s not his.”


Spike nodded knowingly and ran a hand through his hair. His other hand absently traced the flower pattern on the table cloth. He had already drunk half of his hot chocolate. Buffy wished that she had made more. “Damn fine, cocoa. How’d you bleedin’ know how much I love hot chocolate?”


His teasing put her at ease. No, he wasn’t going to kill her tonight. Unless he was just playing with her. She pushed that thought out of her head, reminding herself once again that William the Blood is not Angelus. From what she had heard, Spike was more straight forward when it came to killing than Angelus was.


She shyly smiled back at him despite her hesitation and replied, “Actually it was for that one girl, Amy. We had been talking about what human foods we missed the most. We agreed on hot chocolate so I decided to make some for us. Except she’s kind of dust in the wind now.”


“Amy… She’s the one that looked like Miss Edith right? Yeah, sorry ‘bout that. Losing my bleeding mind in here. Dru and Peaches have been going at it for fuckin hours. Needed a spot of violence.” He shook his head. “Wish the bloody sun would go down already.”


Buffy laughed, sipping her hot chocolate. “They probably didn’t even put up a fight, did they? Big bad vampire you are, they were probably scared stiff. Angelus’ at least. He doesn’t like when we fight back or run.”


“Yeah, I’m the big bad, alright.” Spike chuckled. He finished up his cocoa and stood. “Had you pretty scared, din’t I? I’m assuming I’ll see you again sometime since Angelus seems so fond of you.”


She looked surprised. Did he remember her?


“Can’t blame him for keeping you around, not with a face like that and your bloody amazing cocoa.”


And with that he was gone. Buffy drank her hot chocolate thoughtfully. She wondered how long Angelus was planning on staying. She decided she’d have to make hot cocoa again sometime soon. Preferably when she knew Spike would be around.


She giggled and shook her head. Buffy was way too old for crushes.


Chapter End Notes:
Lemme know whatcha think. Should I continue?