Chapter 10 Thief!!



The following afternoon, 3 o’clock.



“So Xandy, what do you think, could you help me?” Gloria asked

“Oh yes! – I’d love to…could I feed them too?”

“Of course, you won’t be on the job on your own, there’s Stacy and Chris to help you – they’ll show you how much, how to measure it, and then you can put it in their bowls. Afterwards you’d walk the dogs, and help me groom the cats and other animals that are going to work”

___________________


“……And Gloria said she’d show me how much to feed them and then I could take them for walks”

“Well Xandy, I’m sure you’ll do just fine, isn’t that nice of Joany to think of you for the job?”

“Oh yes…Mom says it’s good because I won’t be under her feet all day”

Buffy felt a pang of sadness at this, and she said,

“When do you start?”

“Well Gloria said that I can go at weekends to see what I am doing, and then I can start properly when I’ve finished filming Wilson’s”

“That’s great, I’m really pleased for you Xandy”

“Buffy”

“Yes love?”

“How do I open a bank account, Gloria said I needed one for my wages?”

“Sorry – a bank account, don’t you already have one – where does your money from Wilson’s go?”

“Into my mom’s account, she gives me pocket money”

“She what? Oh, er I see…tell you what, put me on to her will you?”

“Okay” Buffy heard Xandy put the receiver down carefully and she heard him call his mom,

“Mom – Buffy wants to speak with you…………”

“Buffy – how are you, congratulations by the way, I was going to ring you, but you know how it is…now what can I do for you?”

“Um, Xandy says he needs a bank account to have his wages paid into, one in his OWN name” Buffy said pointedly, her imagination beginning to work over-time. Mrs Harris sounded very shaky.

“Oh er…I-I um, I s-see, er well I um, I could do that I suppose”

“Tell you what, why don’t we meet up for lunch tomorrow in town, and you can take Xandy’s money out of your account, and we can have it transferred, that way-“

“Er, no need. Besides, what does Xandy understand about money hmm? Thank you for thinking of him, but I’ll sort everything out, bye Buffy!” the line went dead.

“The lying, cheating, money grabbing bitch!” Buffy said to the phone.

“I’m sorry – who are you talking about?” Spike asked with his brows raised.

“Xandy’s mother – Xandy’s just been so excited on the phone to me telling me about his new job, and then he asks me how does he open a bank account”

“A bank account – well I’d have thought he’d already have one” Spike said puzzled

“That’s what I said, and Xandy said no, in his name, not his mother’s…”


______________________


“…………Honestly Buffy, she was really nasty to me on the phone, she said I was ‘another one who couldn’t mind their own business, and why couldn’t everybody just leave them alone’ and she slammed the phone down on me, and I didn’t even get to speak to Xandy, she said he was in his room and was going to stay there – I only phoned up to see if he had got the job – do you know what’s she’s on about?” Willow asked

“I do, BITCH she is…I was talking to him a couple of hours ago, anyway, bless him, he’s full of it, telling me what he’s going to do in his new job, and then he asks me how does he open a bank account……………(Buffy went onto explain) I worked it out this afternoon, he must have earned at LEAST half a million dollars after tax the amount of time he’s been on the show – I was thinking of phoning the wages office and asking them”

“Maybe she’s saving it for him?” Willow suggested.

“I don’t think so, she sounded scared at first, stuttering and mumbling her words, and then when I suggested we meet up for lunch and transfer Xandy’s money into a new account, she gets all nasty with me and literally says what does he know about money, thanks but no thanks”

“Well I think she ought to be shamed into it” Willow said.

“Shamed – how?” Buffy asked.

“How about if you, Spike and me go round to her house, and………” Willow began.


“…………………And we could say that if she didn’t stump up a decent amount to put in a new account for Xandy, we’d go to the papers saying how she’s stolen the money he’s earned all these years” Buffy explained to Spike.

“We could do, but we must make sure we’ve got all the facts right first, else we could be in trouble”

“We’ve got to do something Spike, what about when she dies, who’ll look after him then? – It’ll take money”

“I know, but maybe she has it in a special account for him or something, a savings account”

“So why didn’t she just say so? – It sounds fishy to me, and to Willow”

“Well, okay, but we’ve got to be careful” Spike said.

___________________


“She got off too lightly! $100,000 dollars was about a third of what he earned!” Buffy groused

“Yes but, as she said, she’s had to feed and clothe him” Spike said.

“Yeah, but he doesn’t wear designer stuff or eat caviar does he? No, I still think she got off too lightly” Buffy groused

“And she said she’d take him to work every morning now” Willow added.

“Big deal”

“But Xandy seemed bamboozled at that amount of money he’d got”

“I should think he does, when he only gets $10 a week, and he’s not allowed to buy candy or comics. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody go so red as Margaret Harris when I said we’d shop her to the authorities” Spike added.

“Well it’s done now, and I’ve got a little peace of mind back – she can’t touch his money without Xandy or his financial advisor’s say so – she needs both signatures” Buffy said.

“Well ladies, I’ve got things to do, I’ll see you back at home Buffy, bye Will, see you later” Spike kissed Buffy on the lips and Willow on the cheek and left them outside the shopping mall, while he went off home, he had some telephone calls to England to make.

_______________________


“Let’s have a coffee first, I’m seriously in need of caffeine!” Buffy agreed and they went into the coffee shop.

After ordering two tall skinny latte’s, they sat in the corner where they were less likely to be seen. They didn’t mind signing autographs, but once one person did it, there was usually a steady stream and when you had shopping to do, it got a little tiresome.

“So then Joany phones me up last night and said, her daughter–in-law, Agnetha, the Swedish one, I don’t know if you saw her, she was at the New Years party, she wore that fantastic midnight blue silk and chiffon dress with the silver edges, she’d got long white-blonde hair, hung down like a thick curtain, it was beautiful…”

“So what about her?” Willow asked taking a drink of her coffee.

“Oh, well, she works for Vara Wong, she said if I want my wedding dress designed I could get a discount!”

“Wow…I love Joany…especially what she’s done for Xandy”

“Me too – anyway, I’ve decided to take her up on the offer, so you and me will be going to her shop in Merryvale tomorrow afternoon – at least I hope you can” Buffy added.

“Sure – what time?”

“Four thirty. She’ll show me some designs she’s done, the basic shapes and what have you, and then I can pick the fabric and trimmings and stuff – ooh I can’t wait!”

“Do you know what you want?” Willow asked

“Well, not 100% - I have an idea, but I definitely know what I don’t want, and I know the men will be in Morning suits, top hat and tails, they can match the cummerbunds/ties and cravats to the colour scheme we’ve chosen”

“Which is?”

“Um, don’t know yet, we haven’t decided!! There was something I wanted to ask Spike’s friend about” Buffy said

“What’s that then? Willow asked

“Well, you know I told you one of Spike’s friends got married when we stayed at Carrisbrooke, the bride had two teeny little bridesmaids, all blonde hair with tousled curls, they looked like little flower fairies and they were SO sweet and cute you’d die ‘Aww-ing’ at them – well I want them at our wedding if possible…then I’ll have them in pale lemon, with a ring of little flowers in their hair carrying posy baskets”

“That sounds so cute!”

“Believe me, when you see them, you’ll know why the word ‘cute’ was invented!”