Chapter 11


Time flew by, and soon it was the last day of filming Wilson’s Mountain Diner. There had been quite a concerted effort by die-hard fans of the show to stop the cancellation, viewing figures went up, so advertising revenue was up also, but the company told all in a publication ‘Special’ that the cast was ready to move on. Everybody had something to move on to, some with Blackmore Broadcasting, and others with other companies or even films.

Harmony and Faith had got a part each in the musical stage show Alley-Cats, Isaac was staying with Blackmore Productions and doing a TV show for teens, it was a knock-out quiz show, the longer a team stayed on, the better the prizes got. If they managed to knock out six other teams on the trot, they got the top prize of travelling all over America visiting every state. Riley was going in to directing and producing, and Maggie Walsh was going to do a healthy eating plan and fitness DVD for the more mature end of the market.

Joany’s presence on the show had revived interest in the movies she’d made as a young actress, two of which were going to be remade, and she was going to play the mother figure in them this time around. There was also talk of re- doing Dance Academy again, but this time instead of being the piano player, she was going to be the owner of the dancing academy. She also had her contract renewed with the Swiss Spa face cream company and was contracted to them for 6 more advertisements.

Parker and Richard Wilkins were going to do a show together on Monster Trucks and Drag Racing, everything from building the machines to racing them.

Ford got his Gamers show, plus he always had the voice-over advertising for DevilsOwn hot sauces.

Willow got the part of Nadine Brookes, chief forensic expert of the Murder Investigation Team California, a brand new spin-off from M.I.T NY, the original show, and that was due to start filming in August.

Tara was writing a film script, and had also been taken on by the studio WOLF who was making M.I.T California.

Cassie announced that she and her partner were going to try for a baby, and in the meantime she was going back to writing as a freelance journalist and illustrating children’s books.

Both Xandy and Ford had really left the show and started their new jobs already, but they were both back for the final episode.

Tara and Cassie were in the rehearsal room with all the main characters. The ‘Extra’s’ had already been primed as to what they had got to do as regards leaving and arriving, what to say at the counter etc.

“Okay folks…I know it’s sad, and there have been tears, but try and smile please! For the final scene, we are having some extra’s coming and going in the diner, so I want Faith and Harmony cleaning tables and taking orders…Spike I want you at the cooking-range flipping burgers and ham, Buffy at the till, Willow you can be making up desserts, drinks and so on. Right, the mayor, Dr Ryan and Riley, I want you sitting at the first table, the camera is going to pan around and stop occasionally and we’ll hear snippets of conversations, I’d like it if you mayor could perhaps be talking about your re-election campaign and be poking the table with your finger to really ram your point home, whilst talking to the Doc and our officer Jones, okay?”

Richard, Riley and Maggie nodded.

“Faith, Harmony, I want you talking about a hot double- date you’re going on, what you’ll wear etc, in between taking orders from the extra’s that come in, okay?” They both nodded.

Joany, I’ll have you already sitting at the counter with a coffee, and at sometime when the camera is on you two, Buffy can open the till and pay the bill for the order you’ve bought, and then I want Isaac to arrive and Xandy, you help him bring in the stuff, then stand at the counter and have a cold drink with him, just making small talk – right, does everybody know what they’re doing?” Tara scanned the faces, everybody seemed happy enough.

“Okay folks, places please, and ready to roll in two minutes”

When everybody was ready, Tara closed the clapperboard and said, Scene 40, final scene and roll in three, two, one, action!”

The scene opened outside with the camera trained on a couple just leaving the diner, the woman could be heard to say,

“That was an awesome breakfast Chuck, we’ll stop here on the way back” Chuck nodded and they went out of shot. Still moving slowly towards the entrance a big guy wearing hunting gear and his son over-took the camera and went into the diner, the guy stood at the counter looking up at the menu…

Harmony gave him a big smile and said,

“If you’d like to take a seat sir, I’ll bring you the menu, a list of today’s specials and tell me what you want to drink”

“Well now that’s mighty good of you, a large black coffee for me, what do you want son?”

“Are we having OJ with our breakfast?”

“Sure!”

“Well I’ll have a chocolate malt milkshake”

Harmony smiled and wrote this down and put it on the counter. Faith came up beside her and said,

“So I was thinking, I could wear my new skinny jeans and fluffy angora sweater, the blue one, what do you think?”

“Sounds good, here take that guy these menus will you, and the specials list for today while I clear this table” Faith did as she was asked.

Slowly the camera panned around, Willow began to make the milkshake and Spike put a plate with fries and a double bacon cheese-burger and called,

“Service, table 16”

Harmony deposited a tray-load of used plates at the end of the counter and took the order to the correct table.

The camera continued to move around and stopped at the mayor’s table, he was prodding the table with his finger as if to try and get his point across more forcefully, and was saying,

“And I say that a speed-limit of 20 miles per hour within a 100 yard radius of the school entrance is fast enough – that’s what I’m building my re-election campaign on, road safety!”

“Why not try for the whole village, with the old folks home virtually next door to the school, and the church the other side, I’m sure that Captain Groves will support you to strengthen your campaign - I can try and come up with some accident figures for you…” Riley as Officer Jones was saying…the camera went to the counter..

“So Buffy, you’re busy this morning!” Babs said, having delivered the pork products the diner used.

“Yes, it’s the school sports day, I don’t think people like to cook much so they come here instead, we’re all ready for them! Can I give you a re-fill on your coffee? – And here…$245 for the order”

“Thanks, and thanks!”

“Service – tables 21 and 23” Spike called putting out a large breakfast and a chicken fillet burger on top of the counter.

“Buffy, Isaac’s coming” Xandy called from the doorway, he was sweeping up outside.

“Right thanks, help him bring in the order when he gets here will you please”

“Yes”

Handy Andy walked in, in his day clothes as it was his day off.

“Hi everyone – Spike can I have an 8oz ham-steak breakfast special, Tall OJ and a hot tea with milk when you’re ready” Spike nodded and opened the fridge and got out the ham. Andy sat at a table next to the major.

Isaac cracked open his can of soda and said thanks and took a deep draught.

“Hot out there today, and traffic, never seen so much in the village!”

“School Sports day” Buffy said

“Ahh so that’s why!”

“Thanks, bye – that was very nice thank you!” A lady said as she left the diner.

“Thanks, bye, take care now!” Buffy called.

And as the camera panned around the diner giving the viewers one panoramic last look, a man walked in and said,

“I hear I can get a good breakfast here – oh that looks good – can I have one of those?” As he spied Andy’s 8oz ham breakfast special been taken to him by Faith.

“Sure, sit down and one of our waitresses will be right with you” Buffy said, taking money from Harmony as another couple left the diner. The strains of the signature tune began and the camera slowly left the diner…

“And cut, that’s a wrap – thanks folks, that was excellent, I didn’t think we’d do it in one take but you nailed it!”

Buffy closed the till for the last time and felt tears prick her eyes. She looked up and saw Willow swipe away a tear, and then they heard Maggie loudly blow her nose.

“Don’t start me off!” Spike said, although he too could feel a lump in his throat.

Xandy wiped his eyes and Buffy put her arm around him.

“I miss you!” he cuddled her up tight and the tears spilled over.

“Oh love, I miss you too – but you’ll be coming to the wedding won’t you” Xandy just nodded.

Buffy sniffed and Spike handed her a tissue.

_____________________


The directors came in with bottles of champagne and there was a little after-show party, complete with buffet, and all the ladies were given bouquets, the men baskets of fruit.

They got home at about 9.30pm.

“End of an era…when does it go out?” Spike asked getting out of the car.
,
Tuesday. They’re having a ‘Wilson’s night’, they’re showing the first ever episode, and then that show us cast did about our feelings towards the show ending and some of the more larger than life characters we’ve had on and stuff, and then they’ll show the viewers favourite episode, and then the last show to end it” Buffy said letting them into the house.

“What do you reckon is the favourite episode then?” Spike asked

“Erm, I asked Miles Blackmore, he said it was a close run thing between three at the moment, it’s either the one with the fire when the diner went up in flames killing Ma Wilson, or the one where the cook, Mrs Keogh was shot by her own grandson as she recognised him when he held up the diner with a shot gun and robbed us, or the one where a hot-air balloon landed on the roof of the diner and got stuck”

“They covered some pretty heavy storylines then, those first two”

“Oh yes, back in the sixties, some of it was considered very gritty and too strong for a day-time soap”

“Are you hungry?” Spike asked,

“No – I picked at the buffet”

“Hot chocolate?” Spike asked going to the cupboard.

“As long as it’s the low-fat one”

“It is my little scrumptious one” Spike said, waggling the jar at her.

“Can you bring it up I want a bath”

“Sure”

____________________

“This is nice…an early night and not having to get up in the morning!” Buffy said lying in Spike’s arms.

“Well don’t get too used to it love – filming starts next week on Dr How – and knowing the director, he’ll want some crack-of-dawn scenes filming”

“I know. But I can be with you so I don’t care!” Buffy said smiling.

“That reminds me, I must down-load our plane tickets before Tomorrow night” Spike said.

“I can’t wait to see London!” Buffy said sleepily.

Spike kissed her head softly and said,

“Well, I’m looking forward to it a lot more now I know you’re coming with me” Buffy smiled and closed her eyes snuggling up, and they both fell asleep.