Chapter 5 Merry Christmas!!




They came through the front door practically on their knees!

“God, if I haven’t got it by now – then tough!”

“I don’t think there was anything left to buy!” Spike said wearily.

Buffy collapsed on the sofa, a sea of carrier sacks and bags around her. Spike put his bags down on the floor and rested on the arm of the sofa.

“I’m starving – there was no way I was waiting half an hour to be served in the food court!” Buffy said.

“And then it was doubtful you’d get a seat, let alone a table to sit at! Place is used as a meeting place with people sitting tight just waiting for their friends and family to come back to them!”

“Listen babe, with all the rich food we’ve got coming up, I thought just something light, but nutritious, for supper”

“Fine –so what are we having?”

“Soup and a sandwich?”

“Great – what can I do?” Buffy asked

“You missy, can go soak in the bath”

“I was hoping that you’d say that…are you sure, you’re tired too”

“Go on, I don’t mind, I want to do the vegetables for tomorrow’s lunch so I can spend more time with you in the morning” Spike said.

“Sounds good. Okay then…ooh better get this one in the freezer”

Buffy handed Spike a tub of ice-cream.

“Better give me that one too, the one with milk-churn on the front…”

“This one?” Buffy picked up a dark green plastic bag.

“Yup, that’s the one, that’s got yummies in for tomorrow that need to be back in the fridge…”

“What are we having for breakfast?”

“Wait and see, you’ll love it!”

____________


After a light supper in front of the TV (they both fell asleep!) Buffy roused Spike and they went to bed just before midnight. When Buffy was fast asleep, Spike got up and went downstairs to the garage, and got out all of Buffy’s presents, and put them under the tree – she’d beaten him to it, and must have put his there while he was asleep in front of the TV!

He got back to bed and went straight to sleep, but not before putting one present on the nightstand for her.

Buffy woke early, she felt excited, like a kid again. Spike woke to the sound of tearing paper…

“Oh wow! Just what I wanted!!” Buffy leapt out of bed and immediately put on the extra thick, luxurious extra soft towelling robe in Royal blue, with slippers to match

“Spike look!” She stood at the end of the bed and did a twirl

“Very nice kitten…can I open my present now?” Buffy giggled and came towards him, she bent to give him a kiss and Spike’s hands went to her belt.

“What are you doing?”

“Opening my pressie!” Spike said with a cheeky grin!

“We can do that later – come on its Christmas morning- presents to open – real ones!”

Buffy gave Spike his present, and he sat up in bed and tore the paper off. He opened the four-inch square box, and saw a pair of ‘skull and crossbones’ cufflinks, with a tie-pin to match.

“Oh wow babe – where did you get these – they’re brilliant! – They match my ring!”

“I know, well, it was Willow that reminded me we went to school with a guy who now makes and designs jewellery, and so I contacted him!”

“Come here – they’re brilliant – now I’ll go do our breakfast, it’ll only take ten minutes”

They both quickly dressed and went down – Buffy’s eyes went huge when she saw how many presents she’d got!

Spike quickly scrambled eggs and tipped in torn pieces of smoked salmon into it, piled it on a slice of toast for each of them, next he cracked open a bottle of champagne and poured it half and half over freshly squeezed orange juice. The coffee maker made coffee and Spike poured them both a cup and took everything into the dining room. He looked through to the lounge and saw Buffy on her knees, picking up her presents and giving them a shake! This made him shake his head and smile.

“Come on you, naughty, there’s time for those in a few minutes!” Buffy gave him a grin and stood and came into the dining room.

“Just checking to see which one I want to open first!” Buffy said as Spike pushed her chair in.

“And?” he asked, flapping out his napkin and sitting opposite her.

“That biggish one in the pink and silver striped paper – that’s the one I want to open first!”

__________________

Buffy squealed and sat on the floor in front of the tree.

“Which one do you want first?”

Spike selected one wrapped in Dark brown and shiny gold paper.

“Okay you first!” Spike said, and Buffy ripped the pink and silver paper off her box.

“Oh brilliant – I’ve been wanting this for ages!” Buffy was pleased with the silver ‘Sure-Shot’ professional hair-dryer, with air-blown vitamin system and anti tangle cord. Inside was another two boxes, one containing a curling iron, and the other ceramic hair straighteners.

“Willow told me you wanted that – okay, let’s see what I’ve got”………Spike opened wii Game player and several games.

“Oh fantastic – I loved playing this at Joany’s house!”

“We did have fun, I thought you’d like it – now which one?”

“You choose for me…”

They took it in turns and opened loads of presents, perfume and after-shave sets, black leather gloves for Spike, a cashmere sweater each, a black hat, scarf and mitten set, a pretty little gold watch, a large box of handmade Swiss Chocolate crème truffles, some beautiful suede boots, some earrings, and a necklace, for Buffy, Spike had a gold chain, they got loads of silly little presents, Buffy bought Spike an apron with ‘Head Cook’ printed on it, a new coffee mug, a kitchen gizmo for slicing veg super fast, and Spike bought Buffy a subscription to a fashion and beauty magazine, a coffee mug filled with flavoured coffee-beans, a $100 voucher for Victoria’s Secret, some DVD’s, books and a new ipod. Buffy had bought Spike books, a leather jacket, DVD’s, a professional cooks hand blender/milk frother and blow-torch especially for cooking use only!

Around 11am, Willow phoned, to find out what Buffy had had for presents. Spike went into the kitchen to start the lunch.

___________________


“Oh gods I am so totally, totally STUFFED!” Buffy said groaning.

“But did you enjoy it?”

“Well, wasn’t it obvious, after my third helping of turkey? That’s the first time I’ve had turkey that wasn’t on the dry side – how did you get it so beautifully moist – and that what was it again – pork sausage meat, sage, onion and apricot stuffing was just SOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy!?”

“Family secrets! So I take it you don’t want pudding then?”

“Ask me around…April – or May, I might be hungry again then!”

“Come on then, lets go vegetate in front of the TV” Spike said. Buffy pulled a face and said,

“But that means moving…can’t move!”

Spike slid one of his hands under her legs and the other around her shoulders, and picked her up.

Buffy slipped her arms around his neck and said,

“How come your knees aren’t buckling – I’ve just eaten a ton of food!”

“You’re as light as a feather!” Spike carried her through to the lounge and gently deposited her onto the sofa. He went back and fetched their wine glasses and the half bottle of Champagne they had left.

They spent the afternoon cuddled up watching comedy films and Christmas editions of old sit-coms.

About seven Buffy rubbed her tummy and said,

“Where are those chocolates you bought me?”

“What, the truffles? – You’ll spoil your supper!”

“Oh god, not more food?!”

“Only a turkey sandwich, nothing special” Spike said

“Have we got any red cabbage and apple slaw left?” Buffy asked, brows raised hopefully.

“Yup, in the fridge……...along with a rather alcoholic triple chocolate mousse I’ve made…” Buffy’s head dropped back and she groaned…

“I’m going to have to take all those new things back and buy three sizes bigger!”

“Don’t be daft, I’ll chase you round, you’ll soon loose the extra calories!”

“But I’d let you catch me!” Buffy said grinning.

“Fancy a cup of tea?”

“Yes please, I’m thirsty. I’ll turn this off and come in with you”

“Buffy!” Spike suddenly said, sitting down on the sofa

“Hmm?”

“I er…I was wondering…”

“What’s that?”

“No, don’t get up, not yet (he caught her hand and she sat down next to him, closer)

“Are you alright, you look worried” Buffy cupped his cheek.

Spike looked at his lap, and then up at Buffy. He took her hand from his face and held it in both of his, and sat further forward and turned towards her a little more.

“I um…I want to, well you see, I – I was going to ask you earlier and…thing is, well, if you don’t want to I’ll quite understand, the responsibility of the house is enough to make anybody run screaming for the hills…oh god I’m doing this all wrong. I didn’t want it to be like this, I was just going to get on and do it, no fuss – and I’m rambling and you haven’t a clue as to what I’m on about, have you?” Spike looked worried still, until Buffy smiled at him and said,

“Well, they say a trouble shared is a trouble halved – what’s on your mind?”

“I love you Buffy!” Spike said earnestly

“I know, and I love you too” Buffy said slightly worried.

“No, I mean I really, REALLY love you”

“And I really, REALLY love you – Spike what’s wrong love?

Spike fumbled in his pocket, took out a small box and opened it, slipped off the sofa on to one knee and said,

“Buffy, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

Buffy looked at Spike and blinked, she was totally shocked, lost for words. She then looked at the box and her eyes bugged at the size of the rock…she then looked back at Spike, tears welled in her eyes and she said,

“Oh Spike!”

“I understand if you don’t –“ Spike felt his stomach flip and he was just about to get up when Buffy said,

“Yes, the answer’s, yes –YES! I’d LOVE to marry you!” Spike’s fears melted away to be replaced by pure joy - and he smiled, he felt like crying himself – he quickly took the ring out of the box and Buffy held out her left hand, he slipped the ring onto her finger and they both just looked at it for a few seconds, Before he drew Buffy to him and she threw her arms around his neck and they began kissing. Spike breathed a sigh of relief, squeezing his eyes tight shut a few tears leaked out.

Buffy felt like she was going to burst with happiness.

“Can I phone Willow and tell her?”

“Of course, I’ll um, I’ll just go get supper!”

Buffy dashed to the phone and pressed 4 on speed-dial.

“Rosenberg’s”

“Willow?”

“Buffy – how’s things since this morning?” Willow asked. They’d already been on the phone for ¾ of an hour while Buffy told Willow all that’s she’d had as presents, and what she might possibly get at Victoria’s Secret…

“”Know EXACTLY what I’m going to buy at Victoria’s Secret now!” Buffy said, Willow could tell she was grinning.

“Go on, what’s that then?”

“One of those Silky negligee’s, from the Romance Collection – I’ll save it for my wedding night”

“Oh that’ll be nice, what colour, black or wh- hold on, did you just say-“

“Wedding night, yes, Spike’s just asked me to marry him – you should see the size of the rock on my ring, well you will tomorrow, it’s gorgeous, a huge diamond!”

Willow squealed with delight and Buffy heard the lounge door open, Willow held the receiver to her and said to her folks,

“Spike’s just asked Buffy to marry him – she said yes!”

The Rosenberg’s shouted congratulations and cheered.

“So when?”

“Oh gods, I don’t know – no doubt well talk late into the night about it, where, when, etc, gods Will, I’m SO excited!”

“I bet – oh Buffy that’s such good news, you make a fantastic couple – can I be chief Bridesmaid?”

Buffy giggled and said,

“Of course!” They chatted on happily for another half an n hour!

_______________________