Chapter 6


“ARRGGHHHH – I KNEW IT!” Buffy cried out.

Spike came dashing into the bedroom asking,

“What is it, what’s up – um, where are you, pet?”

“On the floor by the bed!” Came Buffy’s reply. Spike moved to the end of the bed and looked down on Buffy, who was wriggling on the floor, looking like she was wrestling with a coat hanger.

“What-“

“Before you ask, trying, and I DO mean trying, to…do up………… my …argh - skinny jeans, oh fuck, I broke a nail!” Spike grinned

“It’s not funny!” Buffy was red-faced and puffing with exhaustion!

“Looks it from here pet!”

“Well it’s not! I’m officially fat and ugly and I’m never leaving this house again!”

“Not even for Joany’s New Year Party?” Buffy had another breath-holding-pulling-the-zip-up-with-a-coat-hanger moment, and failed to get it more than half way.


“ESPECIALLY not for Joany’s New Year Party! It was her Day after Christmas day party with the barbecued crab claws, giant garlic prawns, Virginia ham, new potatoes and her creamy pasta salads that have done this to me! That and chips and creamy dips…and the fresh cream strawberry gateau, the chocolates, mince pies and trifle – oh gods why do I have to be so greedy!” Spike was looking at her with a mixture of bemusement and concern. He said,

“You’ll do yourself a mischief, how are you supposed to eat, drink or even breathe if you got that zip up?” Spike asked.

“That’s the point, you don’t” Spike frowned and shook his head and said,

“Look Pet, why don’t you do your self a favour, and wear something loose – those silky black pants and the top with the spaghetti string straps looks fantastic on you, and the top is flared so it won’t show any tiny little bulges you have – which you’ll soon get rid of, you never eat breakfast when we’re filming, and you often skip lunch, ‘cept for a juice, you’ll have lost it all by this time next week” Spike reasoned. Buffy stopped trying and lay on the floor.

She threw the coat-hanger after extricating it from the zip-tab.


“But I won’t, I’ll just keep on eating and get so fat, and you won’t love me and then you won’t marry me – and I’ll...I’ll be all alone!”

Spike stood, pulled the jeans off her and bent down and picked her up, putting her on the bed.

“Silly girl! I always thought you were too skinny – I LOVE you, AND your curves, makes you look like a woman, not a stick insect. You ask any bloke – see if I’m right.” Spike sat by her, stroking her hand with his thumb. Buffy felt miserable, she didn’t want to smile but she sat up and put her arms around his neck.

“Promise me you’re not just saying that?”

“Look, cross my heart!”

Buffy kissed him and laid her head against his chest.

“Black silky pants and top…I like to look really tanned when I wear that”

“And that’s another thing – no more tanning beds or too much sun, ruins the skin” Spike said seriously.

“Okay, I promise about the tanning beds – and I’ll use a higher SPF lotion when I do go out in the sun”

“There’s my good girl!”

“Spike”

“Yes love?”

“Are you always this bossy?”

“Can be – you think I’m being bossy?” he leant down and kissed her cheek, he was stroking her back which Buffy found very soothing.

“No, it’s nice – I know you have my best interests at heart”

“That I do pet, I love you and want you to be with me for as long as possible”

________________


30th Dec Tavener’s Bar and Grill, Richmond


“Oh WOW, it’s huge!” Willow said, holding Buffy’s left hand.

“I know, I got a shock when I saw the size of it too!” Ford came towards the table carrying a tray of drinks grinning and said,

“Have you two been peeping at me in the shower again, sounds like it with the conversation you’re having!”

“You wish!” Willow said and she and Buffy giggled.

“So have you set a date yet?”

“Not yet, we haven’t had time!” Spike bought them over some menu’s and sat down. He took a deep draught of his ice-cold Budweiser.

“I’m on a diet” Buffy said

Spike looked at her over his menu and said,

“No, you’re not – I keep telling you, once were all back at work, you’ll loose the few pounds you’ve put on no problem!”

“That’s true Buffy, anyway, what are you having?” Willow asked.

“Well I’m having the speciality of the house, the char-grilled T Bone steak with sautéed sweet onions and mushrooms, house salad and Steak fries” Spike said.

“Yup, sounds good to me!” Ford said, closing his menu, continuing,

“Make that two” Spoke nodded.

“I’ll have…the char-grilled chicken tenders, with smoked bacon, BBQ sauce smothered in melted cheese” Willow said.

“Buffy, what are you having?”

“Hmm…I don’t know whether to have the tuna salad…or the chicken fillet burger – oh no, I know, I’ll have the ¼ pounder char-grilled burger with bacon and cheese – Will, share a portion of spicy fries with me?”

Buffy looked across at her friend who was sucking on a straw in her Long Island Iced Tea, Willow nodded. Spike ordered for them and they sat and waited.

“Mom’s all excited about going to Joany’s house tomorrow!” Willow said

“She throws the most fantastic parties – are you dressing up – I know it says optional but we are, aren’t we Ford?”

“Yup, I’m going in my greasy work-overalls!”

“No you’re not! – Tell the truth!”

“Okay, I’m going as a 20’s gangster, black suit, black shirt, white tie, white band around a Fedora hat” Ford said

“And I’m going as a 20’s flapper girl – I’ve borrowed this beautiful straight up and down green sequinned sheath dress, low at the back, with a beaded cloche hat and long beads to wear, with some green silk pumps with kitten heels. Willow said.

“Sounds great – we hadn’t thought about it really – I think there’s a trunk in the loft or the garage at home…could look through that” Buffy said looking at Spike, who nodded. A waitress was coming towards them carrying two plates, and deposited them in front of the men.

“Would you like any sauces or dressings with that – oh my god, I’ve just realised who you are – oh and Buffy too – and Red and Timmy - Sorry – um sauces?

They all smiled and Ford said he’d have some blue cheese.

_________________________


“So, what do you think?” Spike turned to face Buffy.

“Great – lucky you had that English football shirt. Love the socks! And everybody will see your hairy knees in those white shorts!”

“Don’t be cheeky…what are you wearing then – the entire contests of the wardrobe by the amount of clothing on your bed!” Spike asked.

“At least you won’t see how much weight I’ve put on!”

“Let’s not start that again pet, you know how I feel!” Spike warned.

“I do – so I thought I’d be one of the kids from ‘Dance!’ – Apparently, Joany used to play the piano teacher at the Dance Academy in the show, but I’m too young to remember it – I was only about 4 years old when the show was at it’s peak. So, leotard, footless tights, leg warmers, shrug, pom-pom skirt and flat ballet pumps, big hair, big hoop earrings, lot’s of blusher – ‘Dance – I’m going to live eternal-leeeeeee, Dance – Baby remember mee-eeeeeeeeeeeee!” Buffy sang out the signature tune to the old show.

“Great – that’s sorted then. I promised I’d phone dad, he’ll tell me what time he’s going to pick us up” Spike said

“You do that then, and I’ll put this lot away” Buffy indicated the bed with her hand.

____________________


“Joany, how nice to see you again, thank you for inviting me!” Rupert kissed her on both cheeks.

“Lovely to see you again too Rupert, I trust you had a good Christmas - and look at you – your Henry the 5th outfit – don’t you look every inch a king! – I’ll just see my other guests in, go get yourself a drink from Michael behind the bar, I won’t be long”

Joany carried on greeting her guests, Willow and Ford arrived with Ira and Bernice, and they were all surprised when Xandy arrived dressed as a Native American Indian, complete with brown body makeup, and a magnificent headdress with feathers going down the back, and suede loin-cloth. On a belt he had a plastic knife, and wore moccasins on his feet.

“Xandy you look fantastic!” Buffy went over and gave him a hug. Xandy couldn’t stop grinning as people kept coming up to him and saying what a brilliant costume he had on. Joany had also invited Xandy’s parents to the party, she said she’d like to meet them, also she thought it only fair to the others who could at least enjoy the party properly, without having to keep worrying about having to watch him all the time.

____________________


11.55pm, Joany’s house. The lights had been put up and Joany was addressing everybody…………

“And the prize for the best costume, for a male goes to – Xandy!” Joany shouted, and everybody cheered.

“Come on Xand-man – come and get your prize!” Xandy, grinning went up and took the wrapped box off Joany, saying ‘thank you’.

“And for the best female costume, the prize goes to – my new friend, Bernice Rosenberg as The Edwardian lady!” Bernice was surprised, and was rosy cheeked when she collected her prize, everybody clapped and cheered.

“And now my dearest friends, it’s almost midnight, so will you please all make sure you have a drink, so we can toast in the New Year – we will hear the bells of St Gregory’s church on the radio, and we can countdown the seconds from 10”

Everybody made sure they had a drink, and then the quiet sound of the bells were heard on the radio, everyone began to chant, Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one – HAPPY New Year!” Balloons and streamers fell from the ceiling, and Joany threw the patio doors open and they watched a fantastic firework display.

“Happy New Year love, this is gonna be OUR year – I love you” Spike whispered to Buffy

Buffy turned and gave Spike and huge kiss, and said.

“Happy New Year – I Can’t wait to be Mrs William Giles – I love you too!”

______________________