Chapter 8

The following morning when they got to work, there was a meeting already going on between the company directors of Blackmore Broadcasting , Warren, Tara and Cassie, and a couple of the actors. When Spike and Buffy got out of the car, they could hear raised voices.

…………”Wasn’t for Ford coming to us over these overalls with the new ‘sponsorship’ on them, we wouldn’t have known until the programme aired and by then it would have been too late! Don’t you realise the damage that you could have done?” Miles Blackmore asked Warren.

“But I can’t see the problem, the show wasn’t aired, we didn’t use the new overalls for Ford, so there’s been no free advertising!” Warren insisted.

“No. But what about these hmm?” Charles Blackmore went over to some boxes and pulled out a mustard jar, sauce bottle and a relish jar.

“We do not have an advertising contract with Sugarman’s Sauces and Pickles, so these can’t be used, and what’s in here….?” Charles moved the top boxes and opened the ones underneath.

“Islands Tropique Face cream? – What’s in this one…Randolph’s Root beer? – And this one………Marvy’s Marvelous Milkshakes? No – this is unacceptable these companies do not have contracts with us so their products must not be seen in the show, it’s as simple as that – how do you think we get the money for you’re show, hmm? By the advertising revenue, that’s how – and if this bunch of companies want to advertise here, then they can jolly well pay like everybody else!”

“Warren, you’ve gone too far this time, you’re fired!” Miles said.

“But – “ Warren began

“No, I’m sorry, I’ve made up my mind, this is gross misconduct, and you’re sacking is effective immediately!”

Warren knew that it was useless to try and argue and left. Tara went to go after him, until Miles turned to her and Cassie and said,

“And if I find out you two had anything to do with this, then you’ll go too!”

Tara nodded and then said big eyed,

“I mean no, we didn’t – know, that is he didn’t tell us anything about it”

“I doubt that very much” Spike whispered to Buffy, and she nodded imperceptibly at him. Willow arrived and asked what was going on, she said,

“Warren nearly knocked me down with his haste to get off the lot – what’s going on?” It was only then she spied the company directors, and Charles said,

“We will leave you now, hopefully to get work done, I’m sure the other’s here will bring you up to speed, Miss Rosenberg”

He left the room, and Tara gave a big sigh.

“So what now?” Spike asked nobody in particular.

“I don’t know – the only script we had were the ones Warren sent you last night” Tara said wringing her hands.

“Well, we’ll have to muddle through without the product placements” Spike said. Joany turned up looking worried.

“Does anybody know what’s going on?” She turned to Buffy. Buffy explained about Warren getting the sack, and how they wouldn’t be doing the product placements after all.

“Oh thank goodness – I was ready to quit!”

“Between you me and the gatepost, I think most of us are – still – we can’t work in an atmosphere like this” Spike said.

They muddled on through the morning, but didn’t get much done. Tara called for another meeting with the directors of Blackmore Broadcasting, which was arranged for the following day.

Meanwhile, Ford took a call on his mobile, he had a big grin on his face.

“I’ve got it! I’ve got the Compere’s job on American Gamer 2010!” Everybody congratulated him.

“That’s it, I’m off too – I don’t enjoy it anymore” Willow said.

“ I don’t either, to tell you the truth!” Buffy added in agreement.

“What about you Spike, will you miss it?”

“Of course I will…but well, I didn’t want to say much before but, I’ll be off filming the new Dr How series in England soon!”

“And I shall be going with him…maybe they can find a little part for me! And if not, well, I can look for something else!”

“In England?” Willow asked

“Yup…that’s where we’ll be living after we are married, so…”

“Buffy, I’ll miss you!” Willow said and hugged her friend. The telephone on the wall rang, and Joany picked it up………

“Hello- Tara?, Oh, er, um let me see…yes, yes she is, TARA…(It’s Mr Blackmore) she waved the receiver, and Tara came over.

“It’s Mr Charles Blackmore, for you now” Tara nervously came over and took the receiver from Joany.

“H-hello?” Miss McClay speaking”

“Hello Miss McClay can you tell me have you got a full script for today?”

“Well yes, but now they’ll have to be re-writes because of the product placements – we need more real footage to bring up the total airing time”

“Well if it means problems, don’t worry, we can show a film on Thursday and Friday instead of the show, and um, well we’ll see you ALL at the meeting tomorrow, 10AM” Charles Blackmore said.

“Right, um, th-thank you Mr Blackmore”

She put the receiver down and turned to everybody and announced,

“Quiet please everybody……there will be no filming today or anything, no rehearsals, they said that they will show a film on Thursday and Friday, but they want to see us ALL tomorrow at the meeting 10AM – I guess there’s going to be some sort of announcement”

“So we can go now?” Ford asked.

“Yes everybody can go…don’t forget 10 sharp tomorrow”

“What, no filming AGAIN?” Harmony Kendal moaned. Faith rolled her eyes and said,

“Hope were getting paid for this, even though we’re not working, I can’t afford to keep going home without pay!” As she jumped down from the table. Xandy looked sad too, but for a different reason.

“Will I see you ever again when you go to England, Buffy?”

“Oh hey Xandy – don’t worry, of course you will – I’m not selling my house, and we’ll come back for holidays and stuff!”

He nodded and they all drifted off home.


_____________________

Same Day, afternoon, Spike and Buffy back home. Spike was on the phone to England………


“So can you tell me just what dates have you got xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for this year Mrs Calendar?” Spike asked

“Let me go through the books, and I’ll email them to you…you want a Saturday?”

“Doesn’t matter really...Friday would do” Spike said.

“I’ll get back to you ASAP – and congratulations again William, she’s a lovely girl!”

“Thanks Mrs C, be seeing you soon, bye!”

“Mrs Calendar said she’d email me the dates they’ve got Carrisbrooke free”

“Great”

“Anyway I’m going out to the shops, to get something decent for dinner tonight, want to come with or…?”

“I think I better phone my agent, tell him what’s going on…see if he can still work for me, or recommend somebody in England” Buffy said

“Okay see you in a little while” Spike bent over the back of the sofa and gave Buffy a kiss and left to go shopping. Buffy flipped open her diary/address book and was just about to reach for the phone when it rang.

“Hello?”

“BUFFY!” screamed Willow excitedly

“Er – ow, yes – excited much?” Buffy wiggled a finger in her ear, that was now tingling slightly!

“Sorry – but I’m just SO excited – I’ve got an audition!”

“Already, wow, that’s good going!”

“Remember I told you I had an approach from the studio DBS WOLF to do that medical drama last year – well I contacted them, and they’re commissioning a new cop type show – have you ever seen Murder Investigation Team? Well that one’s set in New York, there’s a new one coming out called M.I.T California, they want me to read for a main character called Nadine Brookes, she’s like the boss of the team, the head investigative forensic expert”

“Wow – go you! It’ll be all ‘check for blood-spatter and epithelia’s!!” Buffy said giggling

“I can’t wait – better than a regular burger and a strawberry milkshake!!”

“What has your mom said about it?”

“I haven’t told her yet, not going to until I get it, IF I get it – oh god I’d LOVE it if I did!”

Buffy was smiling listening to her friend.

“Yes well, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. If you ask me, I think Wilson’s days are numbered – I reckon this is what the meeting will be about tomorrow”

“Yeah, me too”

“I feel sorry for Xandy - I mean the rest of can get work of some kind, even if it’s not acting, but what will Xandy do?”

“I know…that had crossed my mind too”

“I know it isn’t our problem, but, well I still feel kinda responsible for him, you know?”

“Me too…his mother trusts us with him, I don’t know how she’d be with ‘strangers’, it took a lot of time for her to trust us at first”

“But at least he can speak up for himself now, he’s no longer a – well I was going to say child, but I suppose he is really, isn’t he?”

“He’s good at gardening” Willow said.

“He’s good with animals too – they kinda sense he’s, well they always seem gentle with him” Buffy said.

“Yeah…our Mitzi goes just like a rag doll when he comes here, she lets him tickle her and every-thing! I go to do that and I get claws raked sown the back of my hand!” Willow said.

“That cat of your is a psycho cat! If she climbs up lace curtains, then meow’s to get down but she can’t coz she’s got her claws stuck, but go to help her and she turns into a spitting, claw slashing hell-cat!”

“That’s Mitzi for you – oh better go I’m at dinner there tonight and I want to do some laundry before I go, see you at the meeting tomorrow then Buffy, bye”

“Bye, see you then”

___________________