Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter 2! Hope you like it! :D
“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.”

Bunching his face in a faux hurtful expression, Whistler put his hand on his chest, “Why, Buff, I am so hurt by that. Is that how you greet a friend?”

Buffy looked at Whistler with a glare. Walking the rest of the way into her apartment and slamming the door shut, she dropped her bag and walked passed him, “We’re not friends. You’re the annoying little bug in my ear every time someone wants something in the universe from me,” stopping in the kitchen she poured herself a glass of water and turned to look at him. Leaning up against the counter, she glared him in the eyes, “So. Who wants what from me now?”

Smiling, Whistler plopped down on the couch, “How would you like to have a new life?”

Pausing mid swallow, she looked at him in confusion, “What do you mean? What new life?”

“You’re right. I’m here because someone needs you, but it’s not in this universe. It’s in an alternate one. One where you have never experienced anything like you have here. You get a life where you get a brand new chance that hasn’t been ruined by others.”

Disbelief showing all over her face, “Yeah. What’s supposed to stop me from repeating history if I don’t have a clue about what I’m doing? How am I supposed to have a whole new life when I don’t know what to avoid?”

“First, this universe is completely different. In order for the same things to happen, there has to be the same set of guidelines. Every thing is different. The people are different, the atmosphere is different, and the life style is different. You will be free of this place forever. You will never come back here. You will never have to be reminded of what you lost here. You will never have to look into the darkness at night in your bedroom and think, ‘What has my life come to?’ You will never have to do any of that again.”

Feeling as if she were going to fall down, Buffy moved herself quickly to the couch beside Whistler. Never have to do this again? Any of it? She would never have to feel lonely again? She would never feel the despair that comes with waking up in the morning and the coldness that comes with falling asleep each night? Could she do that? Could she just move on from the life that she has now? Could she really just forget everything that happened? Would she want to?

Knowing that she couldn’t just have a clean slate she looked him in the eyes, “What about my memories? What about things that I don’t want to just up and leave behind? I know this life hasn’t been the greatest but there are some things that I don’t want to forget. There are some things I have worked too hard for to just let go.”

Wincing a bit, “See, this is where it gets a bit tricky, kid. See, the Powers aren’t all that heartless. They know that there are things that you have earned. Things you’ve fought for. So they’ve made a deal. You get to keep whatever you want, how you want it, when you transfer.”

Bunching her eyebrows together, “Anything I want? Anything? Doesn’t matter what it is? I can have it?”

Opening his hands wide apart, “Anything. No rules. No restrictions.”

“I need to think,” standing; Buffy left the living room for her bedroom, closing the door quietly behind her. Not needing to wait for Whistler’s reply, she knew he would be there when she was done.

Could she do this? Should she? What would be the consequences if I make this decision? On the one hand, she could be free of this place. She could start a whole new life. No one there would know her and no one would know her life. They wouldn’t know the trials she has gone through. No one in this world would have betrayed her. On the other, she would be a stranger in someone else’s life. But my God if it wasn’t tempting.

Sighing, she put her face in her hands and breathed deep. Running her hands through her hair. She knew there was only one way to end this. She stood and walked back into the living room

“Okay. I want my memory. I want to know what I know now. Nothing changes that for anything. No spells, no memory damages, no brain damage can change it.”

“Done.”

Gasping in disbelief, “Just like that?”

Putting his hand atop hers on her knee, “Just like that. I told you. These are your rules. These are your guidelines. The ball is your court.”

“I’ll go, but first I have a few more things I want.”


Chapter End Notes:
So? What do we think?