Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank-you to all who have commented and/or followed this story. My muse is on a roll and I can’t stop writing! Enjoy chapter two and please Review! Give me your thoughts, opinions, I’ll even take constructive criticism!
Chapter 2

“Buu-ffyyy!!”

“Alright, Dawn. I’m coming!”

Buffy gave Spike and his delicious body one last look then walked out the door making sure to fix her hair so that it covered her new scar. She ran down the stairs and walked right into Dawn.

“Geez, Buffy where’ve you been? I’ve been down here for like an hour. Oh!” She covered her mouth when she realized where her sister had been. “Is Spike up there with you?”

Buffy couldn’t hold back the smirk that played on her face. “Yeah.” She quickly replaced her smirk with an annoyed older sister look. “What do you want, Dawn? We were sleeping and you woke me up.”

“Sleeping. Right.”

“Dawn!”

“Food. I need to eat, Buffy.”

“Pizza, order a pizza. Spike and I need to patrol tonight, will you be okay alone?”

“Never had a problem before.”

“Little Bit’s all grown up now, Slayer. No need to ask those questions.”

Buffy turned to look as Spike when she heard his voice behind her. She saw his black boots coming down the steps and wondered if he would ever get new ones. These were scuffed to the point where the fronts of them were white. Her eyes followed up from his boots toward his fitted black jeans and black t-shirt. The same shirt she wore so often. Her body tensed as she met his eyes and she felt her thighs clench. He gave her a wicked smile as he sensed the effect he had on her. It was his demeanor that made her wild for him. The way he walked into a room with such confidence-or was it cockiness? Everyone had to direct their attention to him. She blushed and looked down, then turned to face Dawn. The girl straightened up to stand taller. Buffy didn’t understand why her sister insisted on always doing this, she was already taller than her, why try harder?

“Thanks, Spike.” Dawn smiled widely at him, glad that someone recognized that she was almost an adult now.
Buffy rolled her eyes at the bond that had developed between the vampire and her sister. This would never have happened if she had chosen Angel. He would probably have stayed in her room brooding. He wouldn’t have even allowed himself in her house.

“Slayer.”

“Huh?”

Dawn had bounded off to the kitchen to order pizza and left Spike looking down at Buffy’s bathrobe with a leer on his face.

“Spike!” she yelled and closed the bathrobe tighter around herself.

“What?” he asked.

“Dawn’s in the kitchen.”

“Never been a problem before…”

“Spike!” The last thing she needed Dawn to hear was that they’d had sex on the steps while she’d been in the kitchen. Or that they had sex at all.

“What?”

She looked at him putting her hand on her waist to show him her level of annoyance.

“Alright, I get it. Now are you gonna go get dressed or what? There’s some big bad out there waiting for a serious ass kicking!”

She opened her mouth to respond but suddenly blanched and gripped tightly at the railing.

“What is it? You okay?” he asked, taking a step down and placing his arms around her waist.

“Oh, nothing.” She swatted at his arms and tried to smile. “Just had a flashback of the last time we went patrolling. Remember the mucous demon?”

He gave her a hard look and she saw the worry in his eyes. She hated lying to him, but there was no reason to freak him out- at least not yet.

“Better go get ready,” she told him, ignoring the way he was trying to get answer from her by staring into her eyes. She started up the stairs and made her best attempt to look bouncy and carefree so he’d be convinced she was perfectly fine.

Once in her room she sat at the edge of the bed and leaned her elbows on her knees, holding her head in her hands. She breathed in and out for several minutes before she heard a knock on the door.

“Buffy?”

Crap. He used her name. Whenever he used her name it was due to serious worrying about her. Otherwise it was always Slayer, or love, and pet, all of which she preferred to Buffy when it came from him. Since when had Spike ever respected her privacy? Why was he knocking? Crap. That’s a step back.

“I’ll be out in a minute, Spike.”

“Okay, love. I’ll be downstairs.”

What? No perverted sexual remark? At least he’d called her love. That was a good thing. She stood up and went looking for clothes. She threw on a blue fitted sweater and a pair of jeans. Looking in the mirror at her long hair she contemplated cutting it. It may be best in the long run. She shook her head and reminded herself to just wait. Spike loved her long hair, he’d get lost in it for hours when she would lay her head on his chest. He’d twine his hands through it, it relaxed him, and her for that matter. No, she wouldn’t cut it, but for tonight she’d put it in two braids to keep it out of her face.

She walked down the stairs, taking them one slow bounce at a time as she made eye contact with him. He had a cold look in his eyes as he stood in front of the door at the bottom of the stairs. His jaw was clenched, making his cheekbones all the more distinct. She shook off the shiver that always came when she found something arousing about him, and sauntered over to him, making sure to give her hips an extra swing. When she reached him, she threw he arms around his neck and standing on tip toe, licked his earlobe and whispered,

“Have I ever told you how sexy it is when you give me that look?”

Spike closed his eyes and held back the shudder of desire that wanted to run through him. Instead, he placed the flat of his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her back. Buffy gave him a hurt look, then smiled and said,

“You want to play hard to get, Mr. Big Bad?”

“Buffy!”

She stomped her foot and whined his name “Spike, I hate it when you use my name.”

He held back a laugh as he watched The Vampire Slayer jump up and down in a tantrum. Her pigtails didn’t help the situation any.

“Listen, Buffy,” she pouted then bit her lip when she saw no change in his expression,” what’s going on?”

“Nothing, Spike, I’m just feeling under the weather. School, work, and patrolling are taking their toll, that’s all.”

He put his hand on the side of her face and leaned his head to the side. He looked deep into her eyes and then shook his head. “Come on, then. Let’s kick some demon ass.”

She was confused at his reaction and watched him in silence as he walked out the door. Why hadn’t he pushed the subject further?

“You coming, Slayer?”

She shrugged her shoulders and followed him toward the graveyard.

The walk to the cemetery was silent. Where they usually found themselves hand in hand with her head on his shoulder, this time they couldn’t have walked farther apart. Upon reaching their destination, they immediately began patrolling. There was no flirting, no quipping of any sort between the lovers, just hunting. It was a slow night, after forty five minutes Buffy began to think the demons had gone running in fear of the tension between them. The night was so slow and quiet that she could hear crickets. She walked along beside him switching her stake from one hand to the other until she couldn’t take it anymore.

“God, Spike, did you swallow your tongue or something?”

“Calm down, Slayer,” he told her, his hands in the air and his eyes bulging. “Put the stake down.”

Buffy looked at her hand and realized that she had been pointing the stake right at him. “Uh, sorry,” she said and put her hand down. “What’s wrong with you, Spike? You’ve been quiet all night and that’s not like you. Silence is my thing- you’re thing is constantly saying what’s on your mind.” He gave her a look. “Well it’s true! You do.”

“Look, Slayer, this isn’t the time. You need your concentration.”

“What concentration, Spike? There’s nothing out tonight.” She extended her arms out to either side and turned to look at the cemetery. “See? Nothing.”

“Except…”

She didn’t let him finish the sentence. Whipping her body around, she kicked her leg out and kicked the vampire that came up behind her. At least she tried to kick him, but he grabbed her leg mid swing and used it to push her to the ground. Spike caught her before she fell and she used him to push herself forward toward her attacker. She kicked him again, this time in the face, and when that didn’t work she punched him a few times. She continued hitting and kicking him ducking each time he lunged at her. Finally, she saw Spike come up behind him.

“Spike!”

When he looked up at her she threw him her stake. Spike caught it and put it through the vampire turning it into dust. They looked at each other and smiled.

“We make a great team.”

“Slayer and Vampire I always said. Best ass kickers around.” He took a step toward her and put his arms around her waist, pulling her tightly around him. “Now,” he whispered in her ear, “about that kiss you planted on my ear earlier…”

She melted into him; she had no defenses against him. She was his whenever he wanted her and this time was no different. She leant her head back and allowed him to kiss her, his hand pushing her deeper into him. She knew her lips would be sore, was sure there’d be some bruising, but right now she didn’t care. Right now she needed to be consumed by him, needed to lose herself in him. She felt him harden against her thigh, and moaned at the mere thought of what would be happening soon. They would have been down on the cold ground within minutes, tearing at each other’s clothes, except they were interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

“Ahem!”

They stopped kissing and turned their heads toward the source of the noise.

“Angel,” Buffy gasped.

“Bloody hell.”