~*Gone are the love songs that only we knew
Robbed by the cold wind that sings the night through*~




When Buffy woke up, reality hit her like a splash of cold water.

He was gone.

How was she supposed to go on? He was her everything.

Everything she had and everything she was, belonged to him.

Why would he leave her? What had she done? She had given him her heart and soul. And she had given him her body.

He was her first and in her eyes, he was her only.

She didn't want anybody else, just the thought of her life without him made her sick.

She couldn't understand. She knew what his mother had done to him and Giles. And she knew that she couldn't do that, not even if she wanted too. She loved him too much.

The age difference hadn't come up in a long time. Sure he was nineteen, but she was fixing to turn eighteen. And she was going to graduate this year.

He talked about all the things he wanted to do, places he wanted to see. But she had thought she would be beside him.

She never thought he would leave her behind.



~*How high will you fly
Without me there to be your sky?*~




"Mr. Giles, care to join us?"

Spike's head jerked up and he gave his professor an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, sir."

The professor nodded and went back to his lecture while Spike went back to California and sparkling green eyes.

He had made a mistake.

But then, he had known that the second he got on the plane. But there was no turning back now.

He had gotten into a good school and figured that his studies would be enough to keep his mind off Buffy.

Boy, was he wrong.

With each breath he took, he thought of her and each moment he slept, he dreamt of her.

He had made a mistake.

One that he fully intended to fix.




~*With your love I was complete
Like a haven safe from harm
Till the bitter stole the sweet
I was perfect in your arms
A precious while I had your smile
Till it all fell apart with one change of heart *~





A year had passed without a single word from Spike.

Buffy walked across the stage and accepted her diploma, leaving her teenage years behind.

And that's where she left him.

She wasn't the same girl that had chased him down the street that day. She was harder and wiser.

He had done something to her, left a shell of what she once had been in his arms.

But what do you expect?

Her heart was with him.



~*Love like a lesson learned when we pass the point of no return
You can't always trust happiness
There in love's steady glow hides the power to hurt us so
You can't always trust happiness*~




When her mother died, he sent her a letter.

She had held it to her chest and cried. She cried for her mother, she cried for Spike, and she cried for herself.

Because when they buried her mother, they buried a part of her as well. And now, Buffy didn't know who she was anymore.

Two out of the three most important things in her life were gone. And the only thing she had was clinging to her hand.

She said goodbye to her mother and goodbye to the life she had been leading, because she was starting a new one.

Her and Dawn.

She didn't need anyone other than Dawn and herself. She didn't need a man and she most definitely didn't want a man.

She would carry the burden of loving Spike, but that was all.

Because she didn't want him anymore.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Songs: "Happiness", "It don't matter now", and "It's over": All by Alison Krauss