~*Hope life's been good to you
since you've been gone
I'm doin' fine now--I've finally moved on
It's not so bad--I'm not that sad
I'm not surprised just how well I survived
I'm over the worst, and I feel so alive
I can't complain--I'm free again*~



Buffy walked into the Bronze and a smile came to her face. Memories assaulted her and took her back to her teenage days.

She was thankful that it was a Tuesday and that only a handful of people were there. She made her way to the bar and ordered a drink, planning on celebrating. What she was celebrating she had no idea, but she would rather say that than drowning her sorrows.

The bartender placed the drink in front of her and she took a sip, looking out over the dance floor.

A slow song was playing and she had no interest in watching the couples slow dancing, so she turned back and looked into the large mirror above the rows of liquer.

She hardly recognized the person staring back. She was only twenty one, but she felt like forty.

Air flew out of her lungs when another image joined her own.


~*And it only hurts when I'm breathing
My heart only breaks when it's beating
My dreams only die when I'm dreaming
So, I hold my breath--to forget*~


"Buffy."

His hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality and she sucked in a breath, dropping her eyes and draining her glass in one swallow. He came around to the stool beside her and sat down, staring at the bar after ordering his own drink.

She looked over at him and wanted to cry at the sight of his beautiful face. How many times had she dreamed of it over the past two years?

He looked over at her and she held his eyes in her gaze. She didn't look away, unphased that he caught her staring.

Their eyes stayed locked and Spike watched as tears pooled in hers.

He wiped the tear away and she closed her eyes, her breathing becoming labored at his touch.

Her lips were trembling and more tears were soaking his hands as they cupped her soft cheeks.

"Open your eyes."

Her eyes flew open and she saw his own eyes mist.

And she couldn't stop herself.

She closed the distance between them and crushed her lips to his, a sob catching in her throat at the sweet contact.

Her hands were wrapped around his neck in a vice grip and she kissed him with everything she had.

She kissed him like it was the last time she would ever be able to.

And it was that thought that jerked her away from him.

She jerked away so fast that the stool flew out from under her. She landed on her feet, never breaking her eyes from his.

"Buffy."

He stood up and reached for her, cursing when she took a step back.

"Buffy, I'm sorr--"

He wasn't able to finish, she was already gone.


~*Is that sorry on your breath?
Where were you when I was sitting back here
Missing you to death?*~





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N" Songs "It only hurts when I breathe" by Shania Twain and "It Don't Matter Now" by Alison Krauss