disclaimer: sigh. damn u. i want to own everything BTVS but can't. poop.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Spike stopped, and turned his head so that he could see her out of the corner of his eyes. Never fully turning to face her, he said, "What."

"Don't go."

He turned to face her now, and placed his hands on his hips. "Give me a reason."

"I-I know what I want......"

He let his hands drop to his sides, and took a step closer to her body. "Buffy?" he asked softly.

"I-I want....."

"What, luv? What do you want?" Another step closer. Two feet away now.

Tears were pooling in her eyes, and it was all he could do not to fall to her side and gather her into his arms.

"I....I want us...."

He was crouching beside her now. "U-Us?" he whispered shakily. "There's an us?"

Her eyes lifted to his. "I want there to be...." she whispered. "Can we start over? Can....can we have a fresh start?"

He fell to his knees beside her, tears of his own making their way down his face. He cradled his head in his hands as the salty droplets fell.

When he didn't answer, she asked timidly, "Spike?"

He looked up at her and, not trusting his voice, nodded. She sighed in relief. "Thank god." She attempted to get into a crouching position and winced. "And now to go home to my new best friend, Mr. IcyHot patch."

Spike's eyes filled with concern, just now remembering her injury. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fi-haaaAAAH!" she gasped as pain shot up her back when she tried to straighten. She fell into Spike's arms. He scooped her up and carried her back to her house.

***

Xander walked into Buffy's house, face bloodied and bruised. "Hey Buffy! I found Warren! Well, actually, my face kinda found--" He stopped talking when he saw the familiar duster laying on the railing. Rage boiled inside of him and he headed upstairs, grabbing the coat along his way.

He burst into Buffy's room. "So this is what you call not seeing him anymore?" But it wasn't Buffy he was talking to.

"You," he growled, seeing Spike sitting on Buffy's bed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Slayer got hurt. I helped her. She's taking a shower."

"Good," Xander snarled. "Then she won't be able to stop me from doing this." He withdrew a stake from his backpocket and advanced on Spike. Having successfully cornered the vampire, he raised the stake, ready to strike, when all of a sudden, it wasn't in his hand anymore.

He looked to his right, stunned to see Buffy holding his wrist. "Leave him be, Xander."

A disgusted look crossed his features. "You're standing up for him?"

"He didn't do anything."

"He slept with Anya!"

"And she slept with him. I know it was wrong, but they didn't mean for it to happen. It's what you get when you combine drunk demons and vengeance together." Buffy surprised herself with her reasoning. Hadn't shee herself had been ragging on Spike about his tryst with Anya only 30 minutes ago? "Now. You are going to get out of this house, or you are going to apologize to Spike."

Xander wrenched his hand out of her grasp and, throwing one last hate filled glance at Spike, slammed his way out of the house.

When he was gone, Buffy collapsed on Spike's chest. As her tears soaked through his tee, he stroked he hair and planted a kiss to the top of her head.

"Th-That was so hard, Spike.....he's my best friend....."

"I know, baby......I know."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

AN----yay! another chapter! this is an accomplishment to me b/c i lack the ability to be dedicated to anything! yay for ADD!!!

please review!!!