Chapter Nine – Lyn Marie


"Mom? Do you know where the hell we are?" After mom had basically told me her whole life story I got a little tired and fell a sleep. I woke up looked out the window into a small wooded area and we were on a state highway.

"Yep. We are in Kentucky."

"How long was I out?"

"Only for about three hours." It was silent for a couple minutes. "Did you read Oliver’s letter?"

"Yea I did. It just had a bunch of stuff about how much he’ll miss me, you know stuff like that." Mom nodded. I was glad she didn’t question further. "Hey can we stop at a gas station so I could get some food?"

"Yeah sure. I actually need some gas anyway." Mom drove for a couple more miles and turned into a gas station that looked a little run down. "Here babe." She handed me a five and got out of the car to fill it up.

I got up and started walking, pulling on a hoody at the same time. I got in and located the phone first. Pulled out some change and deposited it into the machine. Oliver’s voice was raspy but never the less the same. "Hello?"

"Hey I don’t have much time but I’m okay, and the destination is Sunnydale, California. I’ll try to call you when I get there to make the plans, and I love you too." That’s when I hung up. I couldn’t stay in the gas station for more then five minutes. I couldn’t make my mom suspicious. I walked into the snack area, grabbed a bag of chips, donuts and a coffee and a diet Pepsi for mom. I paid for the food and walked out. Mom had just finished pumping gas.

"How’d it go?"

"Huh?"

"The food buying. Where’s my change?"

"Oh. Here." I went in my pocket to get the change and handed it to her. That was close.