Chapter Fourteen – Lyn Marie

“Hi.” I said to the man I had only seen in photographs.

“Hi.” He said back. I noticed that he had a slight English accent. “Well I’m your father.”

“Biologically, yes. Emotionally, no.” I had recited. I had practiced that line for about two months now.

“This is a little strange isn’t it.” He said with a slight chuckle, leaning against the railing. I nodded. “I want you to know that I do love your mother. A great deal actually. I love you too because you’re my own flesh and blood but truth be told I know nothing about you.” I nodded again. “I would like to get to know you. I would really like for you to think of me as your father.”

“When did you find out about me?”

“A couple days ago.” I nodded.

“Do you want to be my dad?”

“Yes, very much so.”

“Ok.” I walked up to him and stuck my hand out for him to shake. “My name is Lyn Marie Elizabeth Summers. I can add you last name if you would like. I’m fifteen years old, and I’m going to be a sophomore this year.”

He took my hand. “I’m William Daniel Rayne. I would like that. I’m thirty-two years old and I own my own body shop. I have a step brother Liam Angel, a sister-in-law Cordelia Chase Angel and a nephew named Conner.” We both smiled. I did have his eyes.

“So what was your life like back in New York?” Will- I mean Dad asked as we sat down on the porch steps across from each other.

“How did you know I was in New York?”

“Small town. You always this suspicious?”

I didn’t answer, I just nodded. “Well me and mom lived in a thirty story apartment building in Brooklyn. We lived on the sixteenth floor. I didn’t have many friends because you couldn’t trust a lot of people where we lived. I had Oliver, and Sarah. Sarah died last year. Gang related.”

“So this Oliver mate, what’s he like?”

“Um, he’s kind and sweet. He’s the kind of person that you can lean back and know that he’ll catch you no matter what he has to go through.”

“So you and him where together?” I could tell that he was getting slightly protective.

“No. The last day that I was in New York he took me with him as a front to make a drug deal. As a person he wasn’t that great. He was addicted to cocaine and heroine. This was cocaine. He took me with him because these guys were southern and they respected their women. If I wasn’t there Oliver was going to get beat down, it had happened before. We got picked up by Lindsey. He called mom, mom picked me up in the morning, and we came here.”

“Wow.” He nodded and looked off into the distance.

“How about you? Girlfriends? Wives? Any other kids I should know about?” I gave him my special smirk to tell him that I was joking. He gave it right back. “I guess I got that from you too.” He nodded.

“Well since your mum left me, I’ve had only three girlfriends. There was Faith Monroe; she was a bad ass biker chick. Then there was my ex-girlfriend that I had before your mum and that was Dru Sydney, she was insane, don’t really think your ready for her story. And finally there was Fred Berkle, she was a brain. But we broke up about a month ago. Now there’s just me and my Desoto.”

“What about you and mom?” I wanted know if my childhood dream could become an adolescent reality.

He sighed deeply and leaned in. “Me and your mum have a very difficult relationship because, and I’m not going to lie to you, because of you, and your mum running away from me. I love her very much. I always have. I do want to get back together with her but it’s going to be hard. For all three of us.” He took my hand, “We are family now. You and me are always going to be bound by some force and you to your mum. You’re the link between me and her.”