Chapter Seventeen – Lyn Marie

“Lyn Marie could you put on nicer close then those?” Grandma asked as I stepped into the kitchen.

“Are we having a party?” I asked sweetly picking up one of the cookies she was baking.

“Just a small get together. Now go down and change.” I shrugged and turned back towards my door. I walked down the old wooden steps. This was actually a nice set up. I had a metal loft bed with a black couch under it. There was a matching desk in the corner with a flat screen computer and the TV standing next to the desk. I went to my duffel bag and pulled it onto the couch. I started to shift through it to see what mom had packed. I found the picture of mom and me when I was probably four at my school. Then right next to the picture I found my pack of cigarettes. Kind of ironic, almost.

“Lyn, are you down here?” Dad yelled from the top of the stairs.

“Yeah.” I answered. I kept shifting as he entered the room.

“Um, I heard that the other day was your birthday, and I figured that since I wasn’t there for your birth I’d start now. So here.” Dad pulled out a large box from behind his back.

“Oh... Thank you.”

“Well don’t just stare at it. Open it.” He urged.

I smiled up at him and took the top and pulled it open. Inside was a whit summer dress with pink rose print. “It’s so... pretty.” I didn’t mean to sound unenthusiastic but it was so bright. Too Mary Sunshine for me. But Grams wants me to wear something nice... So this will have to do.

“Now you can’t blame me for this catastrophe, because when I saw it I thought the same thing. So I got you this too.” He pulled a gold locket from his pocket. It was beautiful. “This belonged to my mother before she died. I took it from my dad before he would burn it for scrap.” I looked up at him in awe.

“Now this I like.” I wrapped my arms around his waist and gave him a hug.

“Me too luv.”