Chapter Nineteen – Lyn Marie

“This is so gay. Do I really have to do this.” I asked pushing a shopping cart around the local Wal-Mart.

“What go to school?” Mom responded. I cocked an eyebrow. “Listen school starts early here then it does in New York so we are going to get you a few supplies then we are going to get you over to the high school.” We went through the isles in silence for awhile, that is until mom gasped. “Look at this cute puppy folder.” She said as she continued to talk baby talk to the folder.

“This bites.”


~~~~~

“Alright let’s see here.” Principal Snyder mumbled looking over his papers. “A Summer and a Rayne in one. Amazing. I’m going to have my hands full.” This small man seriously scared me. The comb-over that he was sporting could be used as a flycatcher it was so thin. He looked like an elf.

It had been really quite in there and it was getting pretty nerve raking. Snyder had this metal ball thing on his desk that when you drop one ball it hits the others and goes back and forth. Well what could I say, that thing was pretty damn hard to resist. Once I picked up the metal, Snyder’s hand collapsed on to mine. “Don’t touch that.” It was a little more then creepy keeping eye contact with the troll. “Just give me a reason and I’ll kick you out just like your parents.” I no longer was listening. “You can leave now.” All I did was nodded, picked up my Dickies bag and left. I didn’t want to give the miniature ogre the satisfaction of memorizing the sound of my voice.

I stepped out of the office to get pushed around in the hallways; it must have been a passing period. It sucked. “If you don’t hurry you’ll be late for class.” A male voice came from behind me. I stood straight up and I was going to give him a real flirty answer until I turned around and saw that it was Connor.

“Thank god it’s you. I don’t know what the hell I’m doing and I don’t admit that often so I’d be glad if you keep that to your self.” He started to chuckle.

“I knew that you would need help so just chill. Plus Spike told me to watch out for you.”

“I’m from New York, I think I can handle myself.” I said putting my hand on my hip. How dare he send Connor to watch out for me?

“Oh really? Then I guess you don’t need me to show you to your class.” Connor began to walk away.

“Connor, wait up.” Hey, might as well get it while its there.

Walking down the hall was like a huge culture shock. Here I am in my baggie jeans with a studded belt and a FCUK baby tee. I looked like an Avril Lavigne wanna-be. These people were straight out of an Ambecrombie magazine. I was not going to fit in. “Alright here’s your first stop.”

“How do you know my schedule?”

“Your dad and mom asked Snyder if you could have the same classes as me so I could help you through the transition and shit like that. They also think that if you’re around me I’ll rub off on you or something.”

“I highly doubt that.” I mumbled as Connor held the door open to health class. To my dismay there was no one in the class that dressed like me. I was screwed.

“Oh a new student?” The blonde teacher cooed. “Please take a seat.” I sat down in the only available desk in the middle of the room. “What’s your name darling?”

“Lyn Marie Summers. Lyn is fine.” I was too uncomfortable for my liking. All the students in the room were staring at me like I was a bug on the wall that needed to be squashed.

“Where did you come from?”

“Brooklyn, New York.”

“Oh isn’t that interesting. Well class let’s say hello to Lyn.” The extra perky teacher said trying to rile up her first period students. It didn’t really work.

Nobody said a word. “Okay then, let’s turn to page 107.” There was a rustling of papers and I found myself the outsider again, as I did not have a damn book. So far I hate California.

“Here you can share with me.” A brunette Asian girl said from the side of me.

“Thanks.” I said scooting my chair over closer so I could see.

“I’m Grace Han.” She whispered.

“Lyn.” I said shaking her hand.

“I know.” She chuckled. “By the way I like your outfit.” This town might not be so bad.