Chapter Twenty One – Lyn Marie


“Lyn! Stop! Just let me do it!” Connor yelled as I did the wrong thing yet again.

“Connor I’m never going to learn if you keep yelling at me!” I said taking the tool back. “I can do it my self.”

“Well obviously you can’t!” Connor turned away and finally left me to my own devises, that is until he scared the crap out of me and made the piece of machinery jump out of my hands and into his.

“Connor!” I jumped on his back to get the offending piece back. He wasn’t going to give it up easily. “Just because my fingers don’t move as fast as yours doesn’t mean that I can’t do it!”

All of a sudden the bell above the door rang, Connor and I both froze. “Mrs. Rosenberg.” We both said in unison.

“Good day children. I’m here to pick up my car.”

“Oh okay let me go pull it out for you.” I jumped off of Connor so he could go get the car and I sat down in the wheel chair and looked down and my shoes.

“Why hello Mrs. Rosenberg.” Will said coming out of his office.

“William. I see that you have found two fiery personalities to work side by side. Are you sure that’s wise?”

“I assure you that Connor and Lyn are both very responsible for their ages, why what were they doing?” Will asked looking over at me and then back at the old bag.

“Nothing really just having an argument.”

“I see.” Will looked at me with a disciplined face. Damn.

“Here’s your keys Mrs. Rosenberg.” Connor said coming into the office.

“Thank you. Have a good day.” She said as she left, leaving us to deal with big bad Brit. man.

“What were you two fighting about?” Will asked as he turned to face both Connor and me behind the counter.

“Donk-“ Connor started but I elbowed him to stop.

“Nothing.” I rephrased.

“Very believable. Seriously what was it?”

I let out a big sigh, “Donkey Kong.”

Will looked at us blankly and walked away.

“See what you did!” Connor started.

“It’s your stupid game boy.”

“It’s not stupid.” Connor mumbled. This was going to be fun. It was silent for awhile in which Connor and me both tried to finish our geometry homework. “Um… Lyn?”

“Um… Connor?” I said mockingly.

“Can I ask you a question?” I could see out of the corner of my eye that he sat up and looked at me, wiggling his pencil between his pointer and thumb.

“Didn’t really give me a choice there did you, Sparky.” I let out sarcastically while trying to figure out my math problem.

“Lyn I’m serious.” I looked up at him; he had an almost worried look to him.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, “What do you need?”

“Well I wanted to ask you togotoHomecomingwithme?” He mumbled.

I smiled, for a cute guy he was so shy. “I’d love to.”

He brightened up into an ear to ear smile. “Really?”

“Of course. It’ll be fun.” Man he was cute when he smiled. Which made me think of Oliver. Damn, why did every thing have to be so complicated? “Hey, is there a bathroom around her?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s around that corner all the way down.” Connor said pointing.

“Thanks.” I leaned over and kissed him lightly on the cheek, then jumped off the chair and followed his directions without looking back. I’m sure he was shocked.

I got to the pay phone by the bathroom and dialed Oliver’s number. “Hello?”

“Hey it’s Lyn Marie.”

“God Lyn it’s so good to hear your voice.”

“So what’s the plan you’re cooking up?” I looked around the corner and saw Connor doing his math and drumming to an inaudible beat.

“I’m gonna come down there in a few days and pick you up, but where?”

“Uh… Like I’m supposed to know? I’ve only been down here for like a half a week? You’re giving me too much navigational credit.”

I heard him chuckling on the other line. “Fine, figure some place out, then call me with the details. Okay?”

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later.”

I went to hang up but then I heard him saying my name. “Yea?”

“I love you.”

I took an unneeded breath. “I know.”