Chapter Seven — Lyn Marie

I didn’t want to start the conversation about my dad right now. As much as I wanted it, I wasn’t ready. While mom drove though, I did take a peak through the bag. I found a bunch of pictures with mom and friends and family. There was one with her and her sister, her and her mom, her and her dad and then there was one of all four of them. I always wanted a big family like that. When I was little I used to think that if I was good enough my dad would come home and we would be a family. Then I grew up and learned that it didn’t matter how good I was, that’s when I turned bad.

I found mom’s yearbook, where she was homecoming queen the first year and on the cheerleading squad. She was one of those goody two shoes people. It was kind of cute on her. Small town girl and the prize of every ones hearts. That’s my ma.

Dad was a different story. From the look of it, he was the grade A bad ass. Handsome, built and completely full of him self. He was in auto shop and that was about it. Time for questions.

"Mom?" I said as I pulled my headphones off.

"Yeah?"

"Now I don’t want you to pull over. There is only one way for me to get all my questions answered and that’s by me asking them and you answering. Got it?" Mom nodded. "Good."

"Go ahead, shoot honey."

"Alright. If you were like this wholesome little princess person and dad was like this from the wrong side of the tracks kid, how did you two meet?"

"At a roller rink. See I had this huge crush on his step-brother and your dad was there with him."

"What was his name?"

"Liam Angel, but everyone called him Angel. He has a son now probably around your age."

"So you liked big bro but then saw little bro and fell for him. Right?"

"No. I hated Spike in the beginning. He was just so cocky and full of him self. It was like he could never have a bad day. He was awful."

"Then how did you two get together."

"His friend Xander Harris was dating my best friend Willow Rosenberg and they set me up on a blind date with him, and I found out that he was really this sweet guy who had a bad reputation. So we started out being friends and it just progressed from there." Mom had a smile on her face and with a light chuckle she told me the rest. "Your grandmother hated him. She thought that he was trash and I would turn into trash just being around him. I loved him. He was dangerous and made me feel safe at the same time. He had this charm about him that could charm you into changing your whole lifestyle for him. You have it in spades." Then mom’s face turned sad. "A couple months later I found out that I was pregnant. It took me awhile to realize what was really happening. I was only fifteen. Lindsey was one of my closest friends that was leaving Sunnydale right when I needed it. And him and his mom were moving out to New York so I came with them. I didn’t tell Spike what really happened I just told Willow to give him a letter telling him that I went to go live with my aunt. It was a lie. I regret that whole thing. Sometimes I wish I had never left, and then I wish I had told him and still went with Lindsey. I don’t know what I would have done if things were different."