Chapter 3


Monday morning, Buffy woke up to a shrill beeping. She groaned and rolled over to smack the alarm clock. There was a knock on the door and Willow bounced in. She greeted the blonde cheerfully.

“Wake up, sleepyhead. Time for school!”

Buffy pulled the covers over her head. Willow walked over and yanked them off.

“Go ‘way! I wanna sleep.” Buffy whined.

“Nope. You gotta go to school. Aren’t you excited?” Willow asked giggling.

“About school? Oh, yeah. Happiness abounds.” Buffy replied mockingly.

“Come on and get dressed! ‘Sides, if you wanna sleep, sleep in class.” Willow told her, then added, “Though I don’t recommend that on your first day.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

“Ok.” Willow replied, leaving the room.

Buffy groaned and got up. She took a shower and dried her hair. She went back to her room, and searched her closet for something to wear. She finally settled on a red plaid skirt and a black halter. She put on her makeup, lining her eyes carefully, and applied a shiny pink gloss to her lips. She examined herself in the mirror. Satisfied with her appearance, she grabbed her book bag and headed downstairs.

Willow was waiting for her when she got downstairs. She told her mom a quick goodbye and left with Willow.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The A-group sat in the quad around the fountain chatting. The A-group, as everyone in the school called them, consisted of the most popular students at Sunnydale High. Cordelia Chase was the reigning queen, and was constantly followed by Harmony Kendall and Devon McCalister, the king, followed by Charles Gunn and Riley Finn. Then there were Spike and Oz, who did not really follow any of them, but were popular all the same.

Spike walked up and greeted the group. They started talking about Spike and Oz’s gig at the Bronze coming up that night. Devon and Riley jogged over. Devon grabbed Cordelia and gave her a kiss.

“Hey, did you hear? There’s a new girl.” Riley told them.

“Ooh. Really? Maybe we should give her ‘the test’.” Cordelia said.

“Yeah, before the geeks grab her.” Harmony said, giggling.

“Has anyone seen her yet?” Spike asked, curiously.

“No.”, they answered.

“Wait, there she is.” Riley said, pointing to a blonde girl in a plaid skirt walking up the stairs to the building.

“She’s hot!” Devon said.

Cordelia smacked him on the chest.

“Sorry, baby.” Devon apologized, giving her another kiss.

“She has definite potential to be one of us. Harm and I will check her out.” Cordelia said.

The bell rang and they got up to head to their class.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy walked up the stairs towards the office. She had separated from Willow a few minutes ago, to go see the principal for her schedule.

She heard the bell ring, and the hall got empty. Buffy stood there a minute, trying to remember Willow’s directions to the office. She started to move when she heard a voice.

“Are you looking for something?”

Buffy turned around and found herself looking at a pretty brunette and a leggy blonde girl.

“Uh, yeah. I’m looking for the principal. I’m new.” Buffy stated.

“We can show you.”

Cordelia and Harmony grabbed each of Buffy’s arms and headed down the hallway.

“I’m Harmony.”, the blonde introduced herself. She nodded to Cordelia. “That’s Cordelia.”

“So, new, huh. Where are you from?” Cordelia asked.

“LA.”

“LA? That is so cool!” Harmony gushed.

“Well, you’re from LA. So you definitely have coolness potential.”

“That’s so great.” Buffy said sarcastically, almost laughing when she realized the girls failed to catch it. She played along, answering their questions even though she knew there was no way she was going to hang out with them.

“If you hang with me and mine, you’ll be accepted in no time. Well, we have to test your coolness factor. So, let’s see. Vamp nail polish.”

“Over?” Buffy said, tentatively.

“So over!” Harmony said, rolling her eyes, as Buffy had to bite her lip to contain her laughter.

‘God, how stupid are they? Buffy thought.

“James Marsters.”

“Major hottie!” Buffy said, grinning.

‘Well, it’s the truth!’ Buffy thought.

“Frappachinos.”

“Trendy, but tasty.” Buffy answered, now beginning to wonder if they actually knew where the office was located.

“John Tesh.”

“The Devil.”

Cordelia laughed at her answer.

“That was pretty much a gimme.” Cordelia said.

“But, you passed!” Harmony said, giggling.

“Oh goody!” Buffy said, putting her hand on her forehead in mock relief.

The girls finally stopped in front of a door that read, Principal Snyder.

“You should eat lunch with us. Meet the rest of the gang.” Cordelia suggested.

“Ok. I’ll try.” Buffy answered.

“Bye!” Harmony said, as she and Cordelia walked away.

Buffy looked at the door and took a deep breath.

‘Can’t be any worse than their test.’, she thought as she walked in.

~*~*~*~*~

Principal Snyder sat behind his desk, looking over Buffy’s transcripts. After a few minutes of careful inspection, he placed the papers on his desk and looked at Buffy.

“So, can I get my schedule?” Buffy asked, eager to get away from the weasely man.

“You’re a troublemaker.”, he said simply.

Buffy shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

“That’s your opinion.”, she replied coolly.

“You burned down the Hemery High gym.”

“There was a good reason.” Buffy said.

“Really? And what would that be?”

“It was full of vampi-“ Buffy started, but caught herself. “Asbestos.”

‘That was close. Don’t need the weasel to have a reason to send me to a shrink.’ Buffy thought, mentally scolding herself.

Snyder looked at her, smiling evilly.

“You cause the slightest bit of trouble here, and I will enjoy kicking you out.”

“I just got here, you can’t-“ Buffy started, but was cut off by Snyder.

“I can, Miss Summers, and I will. Now, go. Your schedule is with the secretary. Don’t let the door hit you too hard on the way out.”

Buffy stood up angrily, gathering her things, and stomped out the door.

On her way out of the office, a guy bumped into her, sending the contents of her book bag onto the floor. Buffy sighed, and leaned down to get her things. Another guy walked over and helped her gather her things. Buffy looked up, seeing bleach blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Uh, thanks.” Buffy told him.

“No problem, luv.”

“I’m Buffy, I’m new. As if you couldn’t tell.”, she said, chuckling.

“I noticed. Spike.”, the boy answered.

“Excuse me?” Buffy asked, confused.

“I’m Spike.”

“Oh.”

Buffy shoved her books into her bag and stood up.

“I gotta go. Nice meeting you.” Buffy said.

“Yeah. I’ll see you around then?” Spike answered questioningly.

“Sure.” Buffy answered distractedly, and walked off.
Spike looked down as he turned to leave, and saw a stake on the floor. He picked it up, and started to shout after Buffy, but she had turned the corner. Spike looked at the stake, and shrugged, shoving it in the pocket of his duster.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy sat in History class, taking down notes.

“Now, if you would all turn to page 57 in your text…”

Buffy looked around, hoping that a textbook would magically appear at her side.

“Here.”

Buffy looked up at the girl offering to share her textbook.

“Thanks.” Buffy whispered.

The teacher went on, until the bell rang. Buffy stood, and started to head out, but stopped to talk to the girl.

“Oh, hey, thanks for sharing your book.” Buffy said.

The girl looked up and smiled.

“Your welcome. I’m Tara.”

“Buffy.”

“If you’re looking for a textbook, you can find one in the library. I show you, if you want.”

They walked out of the classroom and down the hall. Buffy saw Willow at the other end, and started to call to her, when she saw Cordelia walk up to her. Buffy heard Cordelia make an insulting remark about Willow’s outfit. Willow looked down and made her way down the hall. Cordelia smiled and headed over to Buffy.

“Why are you walking with this loser?” Cordelia asked, pointing to Tara.

Tara’s eyes widened as she looked at Buffy.

“Tara is taking me to the library.” Buffy stated, crossing her arms over her chest.

“She would know where it is.” Cordelia scoffed, glaring at Tara, who was staring down at the floor.

Cordelia grabbed Buffy’s arm.

“I’ll take you.”

By then, a crowd had gathered around the trio, including Spike. Buffy wrenched her arm away from Cordelia.

“No. That’s ok.”

“Excuse me?”

“I said, that’s ok. You have trouble hearing?” Buffy said.

“You would do well not to piss me off.” Cordelia answered, voice low.

“Oh, really?” Buffy said, moving closer, so she was inches away from the brunette.

“Really. I have influence and power here. I could make your life a living hell. Don’t. Push. Me.” Cordelia told her, poking her chest.

“Don’t touch me.” Buffy warned.

Cordelia crossed her arms over her chest.

“It’s your choice. Walk with her, and you will spend the rest of your life a loser.”

Buffy looked at Cordelia, then burst out laughing.

“Right.” Buffy said, then turned to Tara. “Let’s go.”

“Don’t walk away from me!” Cordelia yelled.

Buffy looked at Cordelia one last time, backing away. Just as she started to turn the corner, she gave Cordelia the finger, causing the entire hallway to erupt into laughter and yells. Cordelia stood there, mouth hanging open, as Spike walked up next to her.

“Spike. Do something. Make her pay!” Cordelia hissed at him.

“Sorry, luv.” Spike said, walking away. “Not my fight.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Tara entered the library laughing.

“I can’t believe you stood up to her like that.” Tara said.

“Why wouldn’t I? She was being a bitch.”

“Most people here don’t dare to stand up against her and her friends. They have ways of making your life miserable. Me being a good example.” Tara told her.

Buffy shook her head.

“I knew this place would be horrible.”

“It’s not that bad, Buffy. If you just sorta lay low and all, it’s not bad.” Tara told her, smiling.

Buffy smiled back.

“How can you be so upbeat and calm? If I were you back there, I would have decked the bitch.”

“I’ve learned to ignore it. Try not to let it bother me.”

Buffy nodded.

“Well, I should get to class. The librarian should be in here somewhere.” Tara told her, turning to leave.

“Ok. Thanks a lot.”

Tara waved, and slipped through the double doors. Buffy wandered over to the counter, looking around, when she spotted a newspaper. On the front page was a picture of two little boys, circled with a red marker. Buffy stared at the picture for a minute, then shrugged, turning away.

“Hello? Is anybody here?”

A man walked out from behind the stacks, causing Buffy to jump.

“Oh, anybody’s here.”

The man looked at her a moment, walking down the steps to stand in front of her.

“Miss Summers?”

“Uh, yeah. I guess I’m the only new girl, huh?”

“Rupert Giles. I was told you would be here.”

Giles walked behind the counter, digging through the shelves.

“I’m looking for a book, actually-“ Buffy started, looking at the man curiously.

“Yes. I have what you’re looking for.”, Giles said, standing up, and placing a large book on the counter.

Buffy looked down at the book, the word Vampyre standing out, causing her to back away.

“No. That’s not what I’m looking for.” Buffy said, voice shaky.

“Are you sure?” Giles asked, eyebrows knitted together.

“I’m definitely sure.” Buffy answered, still backing away.

The man shrugged, and bent down to place the book under the counter. He stood up, addressing Buffy, but paused when he realized she had left.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two girls walked through the locker room.

“The new girl? She seems really weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy, anyway?”

Another girl walks by.

“Hey Aphrodisia!”

“Oh hey!” Aphrodisia answers.

The two girls stop in front of their lockers, placing their bags on the bench.

“Well, I hear she was kicked out of her old school for starting fights. I mean, did you hear what happened with Cordelia earlier?”, the other girl, Aura, said.

“Oh yeah. But she was really kicked out for fights?” Aphrodisia asked.

“Yep. And I hear she tried to burn down the school!” Aura added.

“No way!”

Aura started to open her locker door.

“Yes! Well, I heard it from Blu, who said-“

As Aura opened the locker door, a body fell out on top her. Everyone started screaming.