~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 3: Life story of a supergirl


Spike half walked half ran to the club where he had seen her last. He wasn’t expecting her to be there, but it would give him a place to start. He tried to calm down so he could think in a logical, none-emotional way. If she was in danger, where would she be? Parks, alleys, cemeteries. Shaking himself, he went quickly through every alley around the club while on his way to the nearest park.


The park was dark and deserted at this time of the night. Actually, it was almost morning now. The birds were starting to wake up and were being very vocal about it, and the early morning air was crisp. Spike once again cursed against his lack of vampiric senses. It would have been so much easier. He now felt useless most of the time but was compensating for it in battle. In fights, he was fierce and ruthless, always being blamed for taking too many risks but not caring because really… he didn’t care if he lived or died anymore.


At least, that’s what he’d told them. But the truth was, some part of him did care. He might be bitching a lot about being human, but even though adaptation was harsh, he was still secretly grateful and saw it as a gift. Of course, it would be a much better gift if he could spend this brand new life with the woman he loved. Grow old by her side. But… So not the time to be thinking about this right now!


Closing his eyes, he gave it a try. He might not be a vampire anymore, but it was still Buffy. He should still be able, on some level, to…


He started running towards the other end of the park, heart beating wildly. He might still not know if he would have been able to feel her, but he did hear a cry of pain and the sounds of a fight. The closer he got, the better he could see what was going on.


A blond girl wearing red leather pants and a tight fitting, off the shoulders, black sweater, was being attacked by three guys and doing her best at defending herself. It was definitely Buffy. She was kicking and punching wildly, but while still possessing the physical strength, she was obviously lacking the training and experience The Slayer had.


Still running, Spike could only watch helplessly as she went down. With another burst of speed and using a bench for momentum, he leaped up and dropkicked one of the vampires in the head. The two others turned their attention to Spike, and Buffy used the distraction to her advantage by kicking one of them in the groin. He bent in half, howling in pain.


After giving Buffy a quick glance and seeing her holding her ribs, a gash on her forehead, Spike went wild with rage. He dispatched the two who were attacking him very quickly and watch with satisfaction as they turned to dust. Meanwhile, the third vampire had grabbed Buffy off the ground, but after she bit his arm to free herself, the vamp threw her headfirst against a tree and she passed out. Blinded with rage, Spike threw himself at him and beat him into a bloody pulp before dusting him.


Calming down, Spike knelt down by Buffy’s side. He could only cry at the irony. There she was, his Buffy, bloodied and in pain, despite all the efforts that had been put into given her a better life. He gathered her into his arms, careful not to cause her anymore pain, and carried her to the Hyperion.


He used the quieter streets to avoid crowds, and the dark alleys, hoping not to get into trouble. It took him a little longer to get there, but at least, he didn’t have to explain to a police officer what he was doing with an unconscious girl in his arms.


He actually hesitated between taking her to the Hyperion and taking her to the hospital, but then he remembered that despite everything, she was still physically a Slayer and she had survived much worse in the past. She was only unconscious because she hit her head badly. But he’d take care of her. Bandage her ribs and keep her safe. He knew he couldn’t keep her safe forever though and the mere thought was killing him.


Luckily, Cordelia had gone off to bed and the Hyperion seemed deserted. So he took Buffy up to his room and put her down on his bed. Spike sat down next to her, careful not to disturb her.


“What am I gonna do with you luv?” He murmured softly, pushing a strand of her blond hair away from her bloody forehead. To him, she looked like an Angel fallen from the sky. Hurt and bloody, but still glowing with beauty. He was finally able to really look at her and he took a few moments to bask. He was more confused than ever.


He shook his head and retrieved the first aid kit from underneath the bed. He carefully cleaned the gash on her head and covered it with gauze. He then removed her boots and covered her with the plush duvet that he found in a heap on the comfy chair he didn’t remember he had. That’s how much attention he paid to this place. Pulling the newly discovered chair next to the bed, he sat by her side. * Just for a little while, then I’ll let her rest * Before Spike even knew what he was doing, he started talking.


“Remember when you told me once that the only chance I’ve ever had with you was when you were unconscious? No, of course you don’t remember, but I guess you were right pet. Here we are, after a year apart, and the only chance I’ll ever have to talk to you is right now, while you’re unconscious. Bloody ironic, that's what it is.” His voice was barely above a whisper. He didn’t want her to wake up, he just wanted to talk to his Buffy while he could.


“ I missed you so much Buffy and I can’t even tell you because I’m a stranger to you now. You have no idea how much it hurts. I miss you pet…”


He stopped, feeling a bit self-conscious talking to himself like a poofter, but he knew it was his only chance to ever talk to her so he kept going. “I’m all torn up Buffy. The selfless part of me is so happy for you, but love is never entirely selfless no matter what people say about it and the selfish part of me wants you back so badly. I know you could have never been perfectly happy remembering your seven years as the Slayer and all the horrors, but it’s our past and I cherish it no matter how bad it got sometimes. It just hurt to know that you forgot about me. To know that I never existed. You are my whole world and I’m nothing to you. It hurts. But I’ll be a good boy and I’ll let it be because you’re happy now and that all that matters. You’re happy, right luv?”


He snickered. “Right. Ignore me, don’t answer.” He rolled his eyes at himself. Getting serious again, he touched her hand lightly. “I can’t help but wonder if it really is a blessing that you forgot everything. Look at what happened tonight. If you hadn’t forgotten who you are, you would have kicked those vampires’ ass in a heartbeat. But now, you’re pretty much helpless in front of all the nasties that roam into the night. They could get you so easily. You forgot so you could be a normal girl and be carefree and happy, live without pain, but there you are suffering again. How can the Powers That Be be so unfair? I don’t understand.”


He wanted to get out. Leave her there. Being without her was painful, but it was a pain he had grown accustomed to. But this… He didn’t know if he could deal. She was so close; yet had never been so far.


“You know I’ll always love you Buffy, no matter what. Two hundred years from now, I’ll still be head over heels in love with you. I don’t know where I’ll go after I die, but I know one thing, it’s that I’ll be looking for you. I know our time together has been full of wrong turns and up and downs, and maybe in the end it would have never worked out. But I always had hopes. I would have tried my best to make you happy. Believe it or not, I was delusional enough to think that we were getting somewhere… Well, that was before I knew our time was up. Shit, would you listen to that? I’m rambling like a lost schoolboy now. Yeah, I know, if you were awake, you’d probably make fun of my ass for being such a foolish romantic poof. Sorry luv, can't help it. I’ve always been love’s bitch. You know that. I’m asking you just one thing pet. Please don’t ask too many questions I can’t answer when you wake up, ok?”


He started pushing himself up from the chair.


“Just one question then. Why did I forget? And if what you're saying is true, then how come I can’t think of any missing part of my life?”


Spike’s eyes went wide and he froze.


“You’re--awake. When did you wake up?”


She opened her eyes to look at him. “Just a little while ago.”


“Oh.”


“Why?”


They stared at each other for a moment, then Spike sat back down with a sigh.


“I think I have the right to know. It’s my life and I don’t like when people make decisions for me.”


“True. You never appreciated these sorts of things.” Spike drawled hesitantly. “But I think this was for the best. I just need to ask you a question though… Are you happy?”


Buffy looked confused for a moment and seemed to ponder the question before answering. “Sure… I guess. Normal life, you know. Nothing really exciting about it. School, work, friends. Why does it matter? What does it have to do with it?”


“It has everything to do with it. You asked me why you forgot. Well you bloody forgot because you had it rough pet, and someone up there thought you deserved a break. Hell, I think you deserved a soddin break. The normal life you have now, you earned it. You paid for it with blood and sweat. You craved that normal life of yours since the day it all started.”


“I’m sorry but you’re kinda losing me there.” Buffy interrupted. “So basically, you’re saying that I forgot a few years of my life because they were bad and I wanted a normal life. But it’s my life. It’s my memories. Shouldn’t I have a say in this? Besides, correct me if I’m wrong here, but if that’s something I wanted so bad, wouldn’t remembering that I wanted it make it even better? Doesn’t comparing the bad days with the good days make you enjoy the good even more?”


Spike blinked several times at the girl, not knowing what to answer to that. She did have a good point. Buffy, The Slayer, had wanted this normal life so much and craved it for so long, she would have never taken it for granted the way she seemed to do now. She would have tried to enjoy every minute of it. Bloody stupid gift, that it was.


He stammered, unsure of what to say to her. “Look pet, all I know is what I was told. It’s a gift from the Higher Powers, a reward for risking your life for the bleedin’ world so many times. I can’t tell you more. I wish I could, believe me.” He tried to look convinced, he really tried. But he couldn’t. He wasn’t sure anymore if this really was a gift. Wasn’t sure of anything for that matter. He was just very sad and tired. Worn out by the events of the past two days.


Buffy was looking into his eyes, searching his face for answers. When she spoke, it was almost a whisper. “Are you sure… this is a gift?”


He looked up at her but remained silent.


“Doesn’t sound like such a gift to me. Someone playing with my memories…”


“I wish I could tell you luv. But I don’t know any more than you do.”


She suddenly smiled at him. “Yes you do. You know everything. You could tell me.”


Spike seemed unsure of what to do. “I don’t know… if I should. Maybe it’s not such a great idea to bring back all those memories…”


“Sure it is. It will be like listening to a story. Nothing wrong with that. Just like listening to the story of some girl I don’t know. You can even edit if you want, I’ll never know.”


He chuckled at that. “Yeah, but then I’d turn it to my advantage and make myself look good. And if you ever get your memory back, you’ll kick my arse.” They smiled at each other.


“Come on!.. Pretty please?” She batted her eyelashes exaggeratedly.


“It’s a very long story pet…”


“We can make a full pot of coffee… “


Spike rolled his eyes dramatically. “Some things never change, do they. I could never say no to you and apparently, I still can’t.”


His reward for caving in was the brightest smile in the world.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy had fallen asleep in the arms of this stranger who wasn’t that much of a stranger. Didn’t feel like a stranger. And she dreamt. She dreamt of events that she didn’t remember but knew had existed. She dreamt of loneliness, sacrifices, loss and love. But mostly, she dreamt of a vampire’s love for her, and his ultimate sacrifice to save the world. To save her.


They were both lying on the bed in the nearly empty room, peacefully asleep after spending the entire day locked in there, one telling an incredible story, the other listening religiously. Exhausted, they had let sleep overtake them without a fight. Spike had just wrapped one of his arm around the sleeping girl and they had instinctively intertwined the fingers of their free hands together.


In her dream, Buffy was in Spike’s arms too and that’s exactly where she wanted to be. She looked into his eyes and smiled, understanding everything with a clarity that was almost frightening. Like a door that was suddenly open, all the feelings she had been repressing for so long invaded her heart and she understood that this man was worthy of them. Was worthy of everything. Her love, her trust, her pride in him, he earned it all, no matter what his nature was or had been. His love for her had changed the rules of the game a long time ago and in the end, his actions had proven that he was the better man. Strong enough to fight against his nature for the sake of love. He had earn not only her heart, but redemption as well.


She looked down at their joined hands. They were on fire but the flames didn’t burn her skin. Didn’t burn him either. She frowned and looked at him, then at their hands again. The connection between them, that’s all it was. This fire between them, it wasn’t burning, or destroying anything. It simply was. And that’s when it all came flooding back. The memories.


She looked into his eyes, her face brightening, and simply said, “I remember. I remember you.”


They both woke up from the dream simultaneously; hands still joined, hearts racing. They locked eyes for a moment before Buffy brought her face down closer to his. “Hi.” She said softly.


“Hi.”


“I’ve missed you.”


And they both lost themselves in a hello kiss… the kind that does involve tongues. They didn’t feel the need to say anything else, letting their bodies do all the talking instead.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The End

A/N: Review junkie here. Please indulge me :-D