~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 2: The ladies champion


When he walked into the Hyperion, the welcome committee was waiting for Spike. Actually, the welcome committee consisted of only one really annoyed former cheerleader. Cordelia struggled to stand up, looking more than furious.


“I swear to The Powers That Be that it’s the last time I force you two to bound. What the Hell did you do to Angel?!” But her expression went from furious to concerned when she saw the look on his face.


Spike looked wearily at her. “Not tonight princess. We can talk tomorrow if you want. I need to be alone for a while.”


“Spike, what happened?”


“Sod off. I don’t wanna talk. Can’t a bloke get some rest? Why is it that the poofter can brood but not me?”


“Don’t give me that shit Spike. I’m not gonna let you go and lock yourself up in your room for a week again. I have enough of one of you doing it. You’re a bad influence on Angel… He walked straight to his room and locked the door behind him. I’m not gonna have enough energy to knock both your doors down. At least tell me why Angel is that upset.” She moved with effort to put herself between the former vampire and the stairs. He’d have to push her to get pass her, and she knew he wouldn’t do that.


He rubbed his eyes and inhaled sharply to calm himself down before answering. “Ran into… a ghost from the past, is all. It got him all upset.”


She eyed him suspiciously for a moment. “You think you can fool me Blondie? There’s more to it. Spill.”


“Look ducks, sometimes it’s better not to ask too many questions ok?” Spike knew of Cordelia’s feelings for Angel and didn’t want to hurt her by telling her that her honey was upset over another girl. But Cordy was stubborn as hell and he knew it.


“I said, SPILL. I can handle it whatever it is.”


“Fine.” His voice was a little hoarse and she could detect something unusual in it… emotion. “We ran into Buffy. Or it’s more like Buffy ran into us… Or me, whatever.” He took a deep breath. “She recognized me. She didn’t recognize Angel. He didn’t like it. End of the story. Can I go now? I need… to be alone.”


“Oh. I see.” She looked at her fingernails and slowly moved aside to let Spike pass. He started going up the stairs. “You’d think he’d be over her by now. Geez, it’s been what? Five years since they broke up?” She mumbled it under her breath but loud enough for Spike to hear. He turned his head and gave the girl a sympathetic look.


“She’s kinda hard to get over, you know. But I’m sure this has nothing to do with it. You know the wanker as well as I know him princess. He’s probably sitting on his bed with his arms crossed, pouting because she dared recognizing little old me and not the great champion poofter himself. Don’t worry pet, he loves you. He talks about you all the time.”


She gave him a hopeful look. “Really?”


“Well… When he’s not too busy talking about himself that is.”


She rolled her eyes at him but smiled nonetheless. “Come on now… go brood. I swear, you two shouldn’t be allowed to hang out, you influence each other way too much.”


Spike finished climbing up the stairs like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, then went to his nearly empty room and lay down on his bed. The place was depressing enough as it was but tonight, it felt worst than usual. He hadn’t bothered decorating it. He had nothing anyway. The little that he owned had been buried with Sunnydale. Besides, there was nothing that he really cared for except for a few pictures of Buffy that he had stolen when he had first started his secret crush on his former mortal enemy. So his room consisted of four bare walls, a king-size bed, and a few clothes scattered all over the floor.


He stared at the ceiling for a long time, listening to his heart beating wildly. He’d never get used to it. It was a weird feeling, really, but right now, it was taking his mind off what he didn’t want to be thinking about. Unfortunately, it didn’t last too long. Soon, he found himself reviewing every single detail of the night’s events. Memorizing everything about her. Her hair had been much longer than it was the last time he’d seen her. Much blonder too. She had probably been under the sun a lot. Good for her. That meant she had some free time to enjoy herself. Everything about her seemed happier. Her clothes, more colorful and feminine. The kind of stuff she used to wear when he first met her years ago. A really short gray pleated skirt and a fuchsia and ocean blue silk halter-top with 70’s inspired patterns. He had noticed every details of her. Down to the coconut smell, the shiny bracelets and the fuchsia nail polish. She was a vision. He had wanted so much to take her in his arms… Never mind that she would have screamed bloody murder.


He was torn between being happy for her, and wanting his Buffy back. Part of him wanted to go back tomorrow night, and walk around the neighborhood to try to find her. But it just wasn’t right. What was he going to do? Tell her the truth? Not bloody likely. He couldn’t risk her remembering everything and being thrown back into the horror that used to be her life. She was happy now and needed to stay this way no matter how much it hurt him. But… couldn’t he just tell her something like: “No, we don’t know each other, I was just lucky guessing your name yesterday. But we could maybe go for a coffee or something?” Who knows, maybe she’d fall in love with William without him having to make her remember about the past. No. Not a good idea. If she recognized him a little tonight, maybe by hanging around him, it would all get back to her eventually.


He sighed deeply and closed his eyes, hoping that sleep would have some mercy on him and take him away from all the thoughts. Of course, he couldn’t be that lucky.


As soon as he drifted away, images of Buffy and him walking on a beach under a bright afternoon sun invaded his mind. Seemed like a beautiful and happy dream. He was holding her hand, and he didn’t have a care in the world. Then he looked down at their joined hands, and they were on fire. He looked up into Buffy’s eyes and saw only sorrow there.


“I love you Buffy.”


She smiled sadly before bursting into flames.


He woke up screaming.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike knocked on the door and waited for an answer. Nothing. It had been twenty-four hours since Buffy crashed back into their lives without knowing how bad she bollocked things up for the two men she’d encounter that night. Cordelia was crushed and he needed to talk to the wanker before he’d ruined everything he had worked for.


Spike sighed heavily and tried the doorknob. It didn’t resist him. So he walked in, not caring much if Angel wanted to see him or not.


“Get out.”


The dark haired vampire was siting in his armchair nursing a bottle of some kind of strong alcohol, obviously not wanting to talk to anybody. But turning human didn’t change Spike enough to make him care about what Angel wanted or not. So he walked into the room and made himself comfortable on the bed.


“Are you deaf of something? I said get the fuck out!”


“Sorry mate, no can do. I need to talk some sense into that thick brain of yours.”


Angel didn’t answer and took a deep swig of his scotch. Spike just rolled his eyes at his sire’s behavior.


“You are fucking everything up mate. And for what exactly?”


“I don’t want to listen to this.”


“Well you don’t have a bleedin’ choice as far as I’m concerned. I’m sitting right here and I won’t go away until I’m finished saying what I have to say.” Spike took a deep breath, trying to ignore the annoyed feeling that was making him want to get up and leave. “There’s a wonderful woman downstairs who loves you more than anything else. That fact makes me question her sanity, but she really does love you. And your asshole behavior is killing her. So you have to ask yourself a question and stick with the answer. Are you in love with Buffy? Or are you in love with Cordelia? Cause in my book, you really can’t be in love with both. And if you’re in love with Cordelia and still have affection for Buffy, you have to keep your priorities straight. Do you really want to bollock things up with the woman you’re in love with because of an ex you still have affection for? Seriously mate, what is this all about?”


“…”


“Fine, don’t answer. But tell me one thing. If Buffy had recognized you instead of me yesterday, or neither of us, would you be here right now drinking yourself unconscious?”


“Get. OUT.”


Spike got up and started towards the bedroom door. “I’m leaving you poofter, but think about what I said, and try to make the right decision for once in your soddin life.”


He closed the door behind him and shook his head. He didn’t really care if The Great Poof was busy brooding and drinking. Didn’t affect him one bit cause he knew he’d come out of that room eventually and resume being his old annoying self. But Spike really did care for Cordelia and hated to see her hurt for nothing. It was already hard enough for her to get her health back, she didn’t need to cry over him, especially not when it really was only about stupid macho jealousy. He knew Angel loved the former Cheerleader. He even went through the trouble of forming a committee at Wolfman and Hart who would focus on finding a way to anchor his soul just so he could sleep with her. Never did that for Buffy as far as he knew. Bloody wanker.


He made his way down the stairs slowly hoping Lorne wouldn’t be around. The green guy had spent the last twenty-four hours trying to convince him to sing for him, after Spike told him about the dream. No bloody way in Hell. Lucky for him, the whole gang was out on a mission except for Cordy who was on her usual spot, looking as bored as ever.


Taking care of someone else had kept Spike’s mind busy for a few minutes, but it was all coming back now. He felt completely restless, not knowing what to do with himself. His thoughts were going a million miles an hour and the voice inside his brain was screaming at him to go out there and find her. But instead, he just sat next to Cordelia.


“You’re boyfriend’s an idiot Princess. Don’t worry bout it. Just let him be an ass for a while, he’ll get out of there in no time.”


“Spike.” Cordelia growled lightly. “What did you tell him?”


“Nothing pet. Called him a few names, told him to get over himself. Is all. I swear.”


Cordelia sighed and lay back down on the cushions. Spike sighed simultaneously. They remained silent for a while.


Cordy didn’t open her eyes when she spoke. “Go to her Spike. She needs you. Now.”


Startled, Spike sat up and looked at the woman lying on the couch. Whatever was left of Cordelia Chase. “Was that a premon…”


“Now Spike.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~